Is CrossFit for me?

This. In my last gym they asked me to stop deadlifting cause it might destroy the floor.

Its not magical, no. However, for me the payment of a crossfit membership isn't really that much. I like it, it's fun, I get to do some olympic lifting and run around with good looking girls and fun guys.

About the logical progression and randomness, now you are just making assumptions and are generalizing all crossfit gyms all over the world? I am sure you do not mean it like that right?

Given that Glassman said that randomness was a key component (or constantly varied, or whatever bullshit term of the month he uses in between drunken benders), yes, many people are serious.

A nine month analysis of every main page WOD showed no consistency to Crossfit "programming." When asked to provide the basis for their programming, they, of course, refused. Nothing like imparting knowledge to various Crossfit members, gyms and upholding the sense of "community." I guess no one knew the secret handshake, or this incredible trove of wisdom that strongly resembles throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks would have been made available to all.

This. In my last gym they asked me to stop deadlifting cause it might destroy the floor.

Its not magical, no. However, for me the payment of a crossfit membership isn't really that much. I like it, it's fun, I get to do some olympic lifting and run around with good looking girls and fun guys.

About the logical progression and randomness, now you are just making assumptions and are generalizing all crossfit gyms all over the world? I am sure you do not mean it like that right?

Eric just covered it.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but most Crossfit gyms that I've seen do not specifically have logical progressions to them. For example, a WOD may arbitrarily pick a weight such as "men - use 225 lbs; women - use 135 lbs". I'd say most aren't geared towards logical strength and conditioning progressions since they are so random. It's essentially a philosophy of "do this workout and do it as fast as you can". I think the exceptions would be the gym owners who are just cashing in on the Crossfit name, yet they aren't really "doing Crossfit".

Eric just covered it.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but most Crossfit gyms that I've seen do not specifically have logical progressions to them. For example, a WOD may arbitrarily pick a weight such as "men - use 225 lbs; women - use 135 lbs". I'd say most aren't geared towards logical strength and conditioning progressions since they are so random. It's essentially a philosophy of "do this workout and do it as fast as you can". I think the exceptions would be the gym owners who are just cashing in on the Crossfit name, yet they aren't really "doing Crossfit".

What's funny is that some of the most successful (damn few) gyms have done the following:

Eliminated stupid shit like the medicine ball clean and sumo deadlift high pull.
Teach strict form.
Use some sort of logical progression and programming.

Oddly enough, this then tends to resemble traditional strength and conditioning programming. The same thing Glassman said crossfit was better than.

Why it's perfect is because I was able to outsource my programming. See, I suck at that. I would go on this forum and ask about SS, then about Madcow,going to my local gym trying but never really getting anywhere.

I outsourced my programming too. I hired a trainer to do that shit for me. The trainer i hired was a powerlifter who competes locally and places, because i wanted someone who had a background in strength building.

Here's Infinite Elgintensity bagging on an actual crossfit programming class:
http://www.infiniteelgintensity.net/2014/08/blog-post_35.html

^I'm now a subscriber to elgintensity. Funniest when he reads his hate mail and I never thought he looked like he does.

He's basically describing general physical preparedness. Is that so hard to believe? People have wanted to generally be in shape, feel good, and be prepared to handle basic physical tasks a LONG time before Crossfit came around.

no that's not hard to believe. Is it wrong to not be completely serious every single post? It just bothers me and it has nothing to do with you, that Crossfit markets the "functional fitness" thing like they were the ones that came up with it, when you have obviously stated that to be not true. Another thing about some of the crossfitters I have been around is they look down their noses at anybody doing anything other than crossfit and will even try to make fun of bodybuilders and the like. Because I guess doing a HSPU is more difficult than being 250lbs with 5-7% bodyfat. Those are not my measurements just throwing out a random size bodybuilding type number.

Given that Glassman said that randomness was a key component (or constantly varied, or whatever bullshit term of the month he uses in between drunken benders), yes, many people are serious.

A nine month analysis of every main page WOD showed no consistency to Crossfit "programming." When asked to provide the basis for their programming, they, of course, refused. Nothing like imparting knowledge to various Crossfit members, gyms and upholding the sense of "community." I guess no one knew the secret handshake, or this incredible trove of wisdom that strongly resembles throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks would have been made available to all.

In the handful of WODS I did I noticed this. After one of the first ones I did, a coach came over and said "what do you think?" I said I was confused that every WOD was a full body workout. I know that is a pretty rudimentary way of thinking of it but I just figured you probably shouldn't be doing a full body workout 5 or 6 times a week. What particularly bothers me about that is they could just say, "simple only come three times a week." I have seen the question asked many times of "how many WODS a week should we be doing?" The answer is often "it depends" or "you would have to sit down and talk to a coach more." (you know away from the main group of people)
I guess they wouldn't recommend only coming three times a week when they are charging $200 a month, wouldn't want anyone thinking they were getting ripped off.

I've had the misfortune of witnessing a Crossfit WOD in IRL. These Crossfitters were doing supersets of high repetition deadlifts followed by a jog around the block. Edit: It was the other way around. Jogging, then high rep deadlifts.

What the hell is wrong with these people?

First of all, mixing cardio with powerlifting in the same training session is not smart. These guys were jogging around the block, and panting as they were approaching the barbell for a set of high repetition deadlifts. Due to fatigue, they were rounding their backs and hitching like crazy to get the last reps. Whoever designed this program deserves an Overeem knee in the balls.

Crossfit is crap. Bad form, bad programming, just random exercises.

Last edited:
this is founder of crossfit

CrossFit-Inc-Magazine-hires-2-1725x810_27256.jpg

he's a dirtbag

I have yet to see any crossfit gyms like this. I have seen a few douchebag elitist crossfitters though. HOwever, are they douchebag because of crossfit, or because they are in the military, or just simply douchey in nature?

What the fuck.

I have seen a few douchebag sherdog posters, you might be among them.

What's funny is that some of the most successful (damn few) gyms have done the following:

Eliminated stupid shit like the medicine ball clean and sumo deadlift high pull.
Teach strict form.
Use some sort of logical progression and programming.

Oddly enough, this then tends to resemble traditional strength and conditioning programming. The same thing Glassman said crossfit was better than.

Are you fucking kidding me ??

One of the worst things in my opinion about CF is the fact that plenty of Boxes that are opening are ruled by noobs who started lifting weights/training not so long ago but got certified and opened their boxes because they had money..

Most of the boxes I saw videos from on FB are places where the coach can't even do a decent clean and jerk ( let alone snatch )/ gymnastics move / can't pull 400 to save his life...

What do you want to learn from people who can't even perform what they are supposed to teach ?
No wonder the injury ratio is so high

I have yet to see any crossfit gyms like this. I have seen a few douchebag elitist crossfitters though. HOwever, are they douchebag because of crossfit, or because they are in the military, or just simply douchey in nature?

Excuse me?

Excuse me?

Tbf I also think many military guys are douchebags they are simply used to them having authority within the military that they don't have over others who aren't in the military and they embrace the authority they have and some are really unlikeable.

But they often don't get that they outside of the military aren't different from the rest and act like wankers.
Also the strictness within the miltary makes them stiff, humorless and I suspect many joined the military to compensate for their insecurity, awkwardness and them being socially awkward
Not all not even the majority but many like 30% of the guys in the military are like that at least where I'm from

Tbf I also think many military guys are douchebags they are simply used to them having authority within the military that they don't have over others who aren't in the military and they embrace the authority they have and some are really unlikeable.

Interesting as the vast majority of the guys in the service have no authority.

But they often don't get that they outside of the military aren't different from the rest and act like wankers.
Also the strictness within the miltary makes them stiff, humorless and I suspect many joined the military to compensate for their insecurity, awkwardness and them being socially awkward
Not all not even the majority but many like 30% of the guys in the military are like that at least where I'm from

Nice to know that you have performed a comprehensive psychiatric analysis on all fo the members of the armed forces. No idea where we would be without well-informed individuals such as yourself.

Interesting as the vast majority of the guys in the service have no authority.

Nice to know that you have performed a comprehensive psychiatric analysis on all fo the members of the armed forces. No idea where we would be without well-informed individuals such as yourself.

In my country there is a mandatory military service I haven served it yet (only 1 day) but basically every men I know has so I kinda know how it is and I had to deal with those idiots myself for a few days.
I especially said not all not the majority but you will find guys like that at a much much much higher percentage than in the rest of the population at least where I'm from

This thread is getting pretty sidetracked, so I'll spoiler. Re: Military

First, I'll say that I don't hold any prejudices against anyone in the military. I have friends that were in the military, my neighbor is part of the military, and I know a lot of others in the military. I don't stereotype military people as there are all sorts of different types in the military.

My gripe is how many people in our country say how in debt we are to our soldiers. The amount of military love out there is pretty ridiculous. When you are in the military, you are compensated. In fact, you are compensated fairly well. Many people enter the military for the compensation. We, as taxpayers, are paying for this. Our nation has one of the biggest military expenditures. We pay a lot for this. So no, I am not in debt to soldiers. No, I don't have to show a soldier any more respect than I'd show any other worker.

I just can't get behind the people that act like we should be sucking the dick of everyone who ever served. We don't act like this with policemen, firemen, or any other profession that risks their lives for society.

cool story bro

Back