Is Bloodsport the best American made martial arts movie or is it Enter the Dragon?

Mortal Kombat even though it's literally just Enter the Dragon with super powers

Kickboxer
Bloodsport
Above The Law
Under Siege
Passenger 57
Delta Force

Pre UFC, like early 90s when Bloodsport was in recent pop culture mindframe, my Stepdad that wrestled at Oregon State and a Marine Officer at the time would tell me about secret kumite like TMA tournaments

Of course in his story the wrestler always won, or catch wrestler

Then when UFC happened and Royce won I would just Tommy Lee Jones look at him until he backhanded me

Good times

tumblr_oy11lymh7a1wstc5to1_1280.gif

IMO, ENTER THE DRAGON is a far superior film to BLOODSPORT. But, I suspect it's a generational thing for those who prefer the latter film. As much as it pains me to believe it, I'm sure there are those who were inspired by JCVD & BLOODSPORT in the late '80s as I was by Bruce Lee & ENTER THE DRAGON in the '70s.

Was Revenge of the Ninja American?
Yes but American ninja is about equal on the goodness factor. Best 2 Ninja movies lol

Enter the ninja was good but with bouts of boring and ninja 3 the domination was straight up lunacy that plays like a spoof today.

The ninja goes from stealth mode to crushing a golf ball in front of a bodyguard of his target and kills something like 28 cops, 3 motorcycles, a car and helicopter in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

But fuck I loved it when I was a kid. The movie falls off the rails when he decides to possess the 80's arobics instructors body and get revenge on the cops that killed him

Love Bloodsport

The best part was the early stages of the tourney... It was fun seeing how the movie makers created the different fighters/styles. It was almost like a Street Fighter game, before there was an actual Street Fighter.

I wouldn't be surprised if the makers of Street Fighter 2 took inspiration from Bloodsport in making the game. Thought I'm probably getting my time frame wrong here..

Over-all, Bloodsport is just an incredibly fun movie. Which is what a Martial Arts movie needs to be
Well they were playing the fight arcade game with Jackson in the movie. Which was the precursor to street fighter.

I used to play it at the grocery store while my mom shopped

I love enter the dragon. It's an absolute classic and deserves respect for laying the blueprint of how to create a successful martial arts film. Bloodsport was a great successor in that formula of some of the best fighters being gathered for a secret tournament. Both movies were even inspiration for the game Mortal Kombat.

Master of the Flying Guillotine had an awesome tournament in it. One of the characters was the inspiration for Dhalsim from Street Fighter.

Enter The Dragon

The art of fighting without fighting.

Fist full of Yen is goat

Have to watch in parts this is part one , two and three are a available too.

Can’t find a full video in one.

IMO, ENTER THE DRAGON is a far superior film to BLOODSPORT. But, I suspect it's a generational thing for those who prefer the latter film. As much as it pains me to believe it, I'm sure there are those who were inspired by JCVD & BLOODSPORT in the late '80s as I was by Bruce Lee & ENTER THE DRAGON in the '70s.

Enter the Dragon feels much more like an extension of what Bruce was doing in Hong Kong, I still think his best work fight scene wise was in HK as Dragon did go a bit over the top with the "wwooooooooo" but its still well cherographed and filmed.

Honestly I think 80's US martial arts stuff was almost all pretty poor, the chorography and filming came across as very wooden and unrealistic compared to HK of that era. Only as HK talent started to filter into the US in the 90's did I think you see a shift towards being able to film decent fight scenes.

Bsport is best.

Enter the Dragon feels much more like an extension of what Bruce was doing in Hong Kong, I still think his best work fight scene wise was in HK as Dragon did go a bit over the top with the "wwooooooooo" but its still well cherographed and filmed.

Honestly I think 80's US martial arts stuff was almost all pretty poor, the chorography and filming came across as very wooden and unrealistic compared to HK of that era. Only as HK talent started to filter into the US in the 90's did I think you see a shift towards being able to film decent fight scenes.

Excellent points. While WAY OF THE DRAGON may not be a superior overall film to ENTER THE DRAGON, it does feature the better, more iconic fight scenes IMO.

Please tell me that you're posting those "stats" ironically.

Interesting fact, my late-friend, Kevin Rosier beat the man who beat up Frank Dux in the inaugural UFC event back in November of 1993.
Zane Frazier was invited to compete in UFC 1 based on his having beat up Frank Dux at a martial arts expo or tournament & Frazier was matched up with my buddy from Buffalo, Kevin Rosier who was a multiple-time WKA world champion & pro boxer. Kevin won the bout by knocking out Frazier & he went on to fight eventual finalist Gerard Gordeau with two broken hands & was himself stopped by Gordeau.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back