Opinion Is anyone patriotic anymore?

M

monster zero

With our prime minister saying my country doesnt have a culture- that is to say that we dont share beliefs and values, and the proliferation of division amongst our ranks..

What does it mean to be patriotic? Identity politics have split us, we share no culture or values, big business interests and the few govern us.. what exactly am I proud of or supporting?

I am at the point I do not want to stand for an anthem tbh. I was born into an arbitrary set of lines on a globe that mean and stand for nothing. Why do I want to stand for a song to glorify a set of lines? A set of lines that have passed the reigns of society over to faceless greedy corporations?

Are you patriotic? If so, why? It seems so cuck to me in 2020.

Globalists have done every single thing to undermine national identity so what exactly do I have allegiance to?

I think you will get many Americans who are patriotic, but there are two kinds of Americans who claim this.

First is like me. I am patriotic to the US Constitution. There is no USA without it. It isn't my country without it. I hate institutions and individuals who I think have attempted to trample on the US Constitution.

Then there is the other kind of so called Patriot. Where they waive the flag, and say America fuck yeah, but don't really know anything. They couldn't define the 3 branches of our government. Couldn't find Iraq on a map. Couldn't tell you how a constitutional amendment is passed, but they claim they love their country. They really love themselves, and their identity, and flag waiving is apart of their identity.

The people who fall into that first group come in many shapes and forms. From flag waivers to people like me, who have no respect for the flag, the government, or its institutions.

What country are from? I feel like if the population is homogeneous then you would view others as your people.

I think you will get many Americans who are patriotic, but there are two kinds of Americans who claim this.

First is like me. I am patriotic to the US Constitution. There is no USA without it. It isn't my country without it. I hate institutions and individuals who I think have attempted to trample on the US Constitution.

Then there is the other kind of so called Patriot. Where they waive the flag, and say America fuck yeah, but don't really know anything. They couldn't define the 3 branches of our government. Couldn't find Iraq on a map. Couldn't tell you how a constitutional amendment is passed, but they claim they love their country. They really love themselves, and their identity, and flag waiving is apart of their identity.

What the founding fathers of the USA stood for was GOAT tier in terms of theory. If they were to see the rise of the corporation as an entity and fiat currency and the banking system and political capture they would shit in their pants.

It's such a shame.

I pretty much only see white people displaying flags and all that corny shit.

"ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." does not apply to today's generation

What the founding fathers of the USA stood for was GOAT tier in terms of theory. If they were to see the rise of the corporation as an entity and fiat currency and the banking system and political capture they would shit in their pants.

It's such a shame.

True, but they knew it would happen back then. This is what Jefferson meant when he said let there never be 20 years without a revolution like this. They knew all systems are gamed over time.

They attempted to create a system with many forms of revolution available to us.

I think what they really didn't see coming was the evil union of mass communication and psychological warfare.

Patriotism and everything that comes with it is the masterworks of the elite ruling class so that the people will never riot and put their heads on the guillotine.

What country are from? I feel like if the population is homogeneous then you would view others as your people.

I'm up here in Canada. I was born here, told I'm privileged, told I'm responsible for the actions of the past, told I have to make up for it as if I had a choice in being white.

Paying 30k a year in taxes for everyone is not enough. The fact I'll pay 300k this decade for public good (the same price as a house) doesnt register. I have white skin so I'm part of some kind of problem.

I should be proud and trumpet my allegiance to high taxes, identity politics, and corruption! Oh, Canada! I stand on guard for thee.

I pretty much only see white people displaying flags and all that corny shit.

I dunno, man. Mexicans and Brazilians among many others appear very patriotic. Seemly as much as the die hard, flag waving Americans.

Patriotism, especially in this country has somehow been conflated with nationalism...which has further been conflated with racism.
and if you're white, and dare say, "I love my country" or "'I'm proud to be an American..." God help you.

Last edited:
I'm up here in Canada. I was born here, told I'm privileged, told I'm responsible for the actions of the past, told I have to make up for it as if I had a choice in being white.

Paying 30k a year in taxes for everyone is not enough. The fact I'll pay 300k this decade for public good (the same price as a house) doesnt register. I have white skin so I'm part of some kind of problem.

I should be proud and trumpet my allegiance to high taxes, identity politics, and corruption! Oh, Canada! I stand on guard for thee.
Cultivating disenchantment can go into various extremes

Seems you're following it down the resentment rabbit hole. Much more skillful to use disenchantment as a liberating tool. It's your choice..how skillful are you?

Cultivating disenchantment can go into various extremes

Seems you're following it down the resentment rabbit hole. Much more skillful to use disenchantment as a liberating tool. It's your choice..how skillful are you?

I know that the more you learn about the system the less happy you will be if you let it get to you. I'm addicted to knowing how we are manipulated, but I try not to become too negative.

How do you not get passionate about it though? I try to put it out and vent a little.. To mix a little of it into the public discourse to counter the narrative of propaganda we are constantly fed.

It's such a shame.

This kind of contradicts your OP, though. Our founders chose to experiment with a nation defined by laws rather than one defined by shared ethnicity, religion, and culture. Critics said that it would fall apart and that a nation was an organic rather than a constructed entity. I think the results speak for themselves, and that the right should be regarded as largely discredited, though there is some value in the critique (and we should try to do more to promote national unity, while granting that America is not Japan).

It's such a shame.
What if I told you that the founding fathers were free masons?

I dunno, man. Mexicans and Brazilians among many others appear very patriotic. Seemly as much as the die hard, flag waving Americans.

I see more mexicans displaying mexican flags in the US than American flags despite them being American citizens. More like stickers and shit like that on their cars than actual cloth flags, though. T shirts and all that, too.

This kind of contradicts your OP, though. Our founders chose to experiment with a nation defined by laws rather than one defined by shared ethnicity, religion, and culture. Critics said that it would fall apart and that a nation was an organic rather than a constructed entity. I think the results speak for themselves, and that the right should be regarded as largely discredited, though there is some value in the critique (and we should try to do more to promote national unity, while granting that America is not Japan).

You're right, it was a nation of immigrants with different cultures, values and backgrounds. The one thing that kept them together and united them was the American dream and the adopted the values of the constitution. Liberty and freedom were a big part of the new shared culture.

We are walking away from that though, the culture seems to shifting more towards identity politics based and less freedom based. Look no further than the attempts to police expression. It's less freedom for all in the pursuit of excellence, and more blame others for my station and try to limit their freedom/power.

Does that make sense?

What you are describing is happening here in the US.

That whole white guilt thing is a bunch of bullshit. Countries throughout history have done both great and horrible things, but we're in 2020 now we gotta move forward. As far as patriotism goes I think people still are. We saw it here in the US when 9/11 happened and I'm sure if something similar happened in Canada then Canadians would be dropping some freedom too.

Back