• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Ankalaev vs Poatan the next LHW title fight?

He injured his toe in the camp for Hill which pretty much squashed the idea of him doing a super quick turnaround for UFC 301, but he does seem adamant to return soon enough and is most likely trying to book another fight.

I think the issue is all the upcoming cards are already pretty filled out or have other plans for their title bouts so he might have to wait a bit sadly.

He did say he wanted Ankalaev at one point, but most recently I remember Jim saying s Jiri rematch is next, which I don't love.

I want to see Alex/Ank next & looking at the schedule I think the UFC may end up doing it for Abu Dhabi.

They have DDP vs Izzy for Perth, Ilia + O'Malley defenses for The Sphere, & then it's Abu Dhabi. I suppose they could do Alex/Jiri 2 on that card with Ank/Roundtree co-main or something.

Jiri vs Hill makes much more sense, since both lost to Alex already.

Hopefully. Then maybe reschedule Hill to fight Jiri later for the top contender spot. I’d imagine Alex is ready to go.

Ridiculous the idea of Jiri getting an immediate rematch. He’s not a long reigning champ. And if Alex beats Jiri again everybody be like “we all knew that would happen”. If Jiri beats Alex, now there’s a trilogy that has to play out. How long will that take? I want to see new matchups in the title fight.

You can’t kick the can down the road like with Leon vs Belal or O’Malley vs Merab. Eventually you have to deal with it. Better sooner than later.

I want to see Alex vs a grappler next. Whether that be against Anthony Smith in a bjj match, Jones at HW or Ank for the belt. The Jiri rematch doesnt make too much sense.

Yeah, and even though Pereira mentioned he doesn't want to fight in Abu Dhabi, it seems like the earliest option unless he can get a co-main spot at UFC 303. He’s not fighting at UFC 304 in Manchester or UFC 305 in Australia. With Topuria and O’Malley rumored for UFC 306, it's unlikely they’ll add a third title fight there. UFC 307 in Abu Dhabi vs. Ankalaev makes a lot of sense. Throw in Islam vs. Tsarukyan and Pantoja vs. Albazi, and we’ve got a great PPV.

It should be. I'm not interested to see Hill or Jiri fight Alex again right now. Cause Hill had absolutely nothing for Alex and if Jiri fights the same way he did Rakic he's going to end up the same way he did in their first fight.

That's the only lhw championship that should happen next

Dana doesn't seem to like him so it'll probably be Jiri

Didn't Poatan say that he wanted to set a record for the fastest turnaround or something?

Maybe he's injured?

Ankalaev is on a 11 fight unbeaten streak, he absolutely deserves this fight.
I sure hope so!!!

Back