Is Alex Pereira the greatest combat sports athlete of all time?

I hate these types of questions/threads though.

Seems like it's just meant to invite people to pick apart his accomplishments.

When someone starts talking about someone as GOAT (even as a question), people instinctively want to do that.
At minimum don’t do it with something that could easily be countered. I mean sweet Jesus I hate cejudo but he exists and so does his resume.

Reactions: HHJ
Guys, I am not talking about Skills but what Poatan did is almost impossible. Poatan wrote history he achieved something what no one ever did.

He became double champ in two weight classes, in two legit organizations, in two out of 3 most practiced combat sports in the world.

Not only legit organizations but the most prestigious and most respected with the best fighters in each weight classes.

He's p4p the greatest martial artist in history.

a large part of being “the greatest” is being on top for a long, long time. a title with 1 or no defenses means very little in the context of a goat talk. alex is obviously lacking in that category, for the time being. also, in my opinion, the road to the title is what gives it meaning. for both of alex’s ufc titles, he was fast tracked, so they don’t mean as much as others who “earned” their shots with a long streak. yes, he had a couple quality opponents, but not the sort of depth of opposition that really justifies a title shot without a strong marketing angle.

verdict: no, and probably won’t be, but let’s see what happens.

I hate these types of questions/threads though.

Seems like it's just meant to invite people to pick apart his accomplishments.

When someone starts talking about someone as GOAT (even as a question), people instinctively want to do that.
I agree

"Is this guy the GOAT?"

"LOL no,he is not,he lost to such and such,he sucks and is a piece of shit"
Yea no shit, almost like we're on a MMA discussion forum

Too bad he transitioned so late in his career. He could have been an even better fighter if he transitioned earlier and develop solid wrestling and grappling.

Best moment of his mma career so far.

Adesanya-v-Pereira-UFC281-111622.jpg
And this was the best moment of his kickboxing career
Israel-Adesanya-vs.-Alex-Pereira.png

Yea no shit, almost like we're on a MMA discussion forum

Bro, why did you even respond with this lazy shit, lol.

It barely (if at all) touches on the point of what @HHJ and I were discussing.

Reactions: HHJ
Do you wrestling a combat sport. I honestly don't. Atleastz definitely not on the same level as kickboxing
And glory ain’t the Olympics, my friend. If you don’t think wrestling is combat I don’t know what to tell you.

a large part of being “the greatest” is being on top for a long, long time. a title with 1 or no defenses means very little in the context of a goat talk. alex is obviously lacking in that category, for the time being. also, in my opinion, the road to the title is what gives it meaning. for both of alex’s ufc titles, he was fast tracked, so they don’t mean as much as others who “earned” their shots with a long streak. yes, he had a couple quality opponents, but not the sort of depth of opposition that really justifies a title shot without a strong marketing angle.

verdict: no, and probably won’t be, but let’s see what happens.

To be fair he has 4 wins over MW and LHW champions in his run and whilst his career has been rapid in MMA he's had to beat someone who either was or would become champ before he fought for the belt himself. Thats honestly not too different from a lot of other contenders in the UFC just without the lengthy low level build-up and not at all like Jon Jones geting hot shotted to a title against a guy who lost the last title fight and then getting setup to face an ex champ coming off a loss 2 1/2 years ago.

I think what stands out most is that he has shown massive balls, every challenge that's been offered him, every chance to fight the best he's taken it and only has a couple of loses over that period, both to guys he's also beaten.

Bro, why did you even respond with this lazy shit, lol.

It barely (if at all) touches on the point of what @HHJ and I were discussing.
Bro, I understand your point. I'm just hear to appreciate Pereira's accomplishments and put things into perspective. Maybe my title is a bit abrupt for some people's tastes.

It's a legitimate question. Who else has reached the pinnacle of kickboxing and MMA?

If Izzy would've shut the fuck up a while ago, Alex never would've thought twice about getting back up off the couch.

He could very well be. Did he defend the LHW title in kickboxing?
I remember something about the guy he won the belt against was lucky to even be in there, that he should have lost to a Suranimese.

Back