Is Alex Pereira the greatest combat sports athlete of all time?

VanMMA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
  • 2 weight Glory champion
  • 2 weight UFC champion
  • Beat Israel Adesanya 3X
  • Already has a very good resume with wins over Strickland, Adesanya, Blachowicz and Jiri
I think he should go for boxing as well and challenge Bivol or Fury

Alex is with elite company, for sure. Cejudo has a nice resume. Overeem does, too. Probably some others. Whose is best is debatable.

No.

He's a really good fighter,but his feud w Izzy allowed him to cut the line and be protected from wrestlers. It's good but its not exactly what it seems on paper. That being said,the guy knows how to win when put in the cage,and is as dangerous a fucker as there has been at MW or LHW.

Can't say he's the greatest but definitely deserves to be in the conversation.

Gets inducted into the hall of fame for one sport and becomes a 2 division champ in in another ... all in the same week. Any way you slice it , that's a fucking achievement.

He's the GOAT until he loses, then he was never that good.

GOAT discussions seem forced all the time. There's too much to factor in MMA, let alone trying to consider other sports now as well.

He's a damn good fighter and he's accomplished a lot. That much we know for sure.

He's kind of like the Striking version of Randy Couture in that its an abnormal career where he doesnt really go through contenders but just fights the guys with the belt and wins alot cos hes so good at what he does well.

The level of opposition has been scary. If we assume Hill is next and he wins, that is some impressive stuff for a guy advanced in age. That will mark his 6th consecutive fight against a former/current/future champion. However, it is LHW and nobody will take him over Jones. At MW, he got fast tracked.
Still, what the man accomplished is the stuff of legends. Happy to have witnessed it while it was happening (Glory included).

The level of opposition has been scary. If we assume Hill is next and he wins, that is some impressive stuff for a guy advanced in age. That will mark his 6th consecutive fight against a former/current/future champion. However, it is LHW and nobody will take him over Jones. At MW, he got fast tracked.
Still, what the man accomplished is the stuff of legends. Happy to have witnessed it while it was happening (Glory included).
He is lucky in that it's mostly strikers to fight there.

Why do we feel the need to label someone the greatest every single Saturday ppv? Can’t he just be really good? Clearly he’s not as decorated as cejudo.

It’s not luck. Most champions are strikers. And those who can grapple failed to use it properly. He will get lucky against Hill too.
I dont mean he's lucky to beat them,but that there isnt a arona or rampage type who can force a different game on him.

Still,the guy has learned really well defensivley from Glover. Better than any expected.

I dont mean he's lucky to beat them,but that there isnt a arona or rampage type who can force a different game on him.

Still,the guy has learned really well defensivley from Glover. Better than any expected.
Absolutely agree. He even seems to defend better than Glover, which is strange.

I hate these types of questions/threads though.

Seems like it's just meant to invite people to pick apart his accomplishments.

When someone starts talking about someone as GOAT (even as a question), people instinctively want to do that.

I hate these types of questions/threads though.

Seems like it's just meant to invite people to pick apart his accomplishments.

When someone starts talking about someone as GOAT (even as a question), people instinctively want to do that.
I agree

"Is this guy the GOAT?"

"LOL no,he is not,he lost to such and such,he sucks and is a piece of shit"

Back