Irony of Nick Diaz being one of UFC's most popular fighters.

Though more "educated" fans will probably hate hearing this, but his whole persona embodies what most people like about MMA/fighting in general. Some would like to believe that MMA is about sportsmanship and two competitors testing their skills against one another, which it may be at it's core, but the majority of people that drive the UFC/MMA's popularity watch essentially to see a.) one guy f***ing up another guy, or even better b.) two guys f***ing each other up.

Everything about Nick says "I'm not here to test my skill against a fellow worthy opponent, I'm in here to hurt this dude", and people like that.

Fuck all that shit. The kid is sexy. That's what's up.
nick-diaz.jpg

also, very much this
DiazGomi-1_original.jpg

this
nick_diaz_quotes_weed.png

this
20ka9sn.jpg

an nis
b6v79h.jpg

Last edited:
Yah, apparently fans are into people who act like 13 year olds.

Ppl like Diaz because he is not fake. He is what he is and he says what he means that is why people like him

And win or lose his fights are never boring

exactly. he's awkward, he's socially anxious, he makes it clear that he doesn't like fighting (having compared it to prostituting ones self), he hates the cage, he likes pride more than UFC, but is a ufc fighter, he shoots himself in the foot professionally, he can't give a sound bite to save his life (and rambles on and on). he is who he is, and then he's fun to watch.

compare him to jones. no one likes fake people (except maybe chael, but like pro wrestling we all know it's a performance so chael's different).

Yah, apparently fans are into people who act like 13 year olds.

No some people, myself included are into fighter that fight the way Nick does. Unique mma boxing, amazing bjj, infinite cardio, great chin, never back down attitude. Never been finished, always delivers, might not be a big winner under ufc rules but he would be in my top 3 fighters i would never compete against.
The guy Fights, that's why i like him.

Not in comparisons of Anderson Silva or GSP (international reach)...

But aside from few names like Cain, JJ, RR.

His fan base is by far larger than any other opponent hes ever faced including Robbie Lawler ( one of my fav fighters )

Or larger than the vast majority of UFC fighters

And it is so ironic that he did it without trying. In fact he loathes interviews, media, "beauty pageants"

Almost like a Kurt Kobain of MMA. Not surprised in his choice of walkout songs (deftones).

Best f*cken post I have ever read in since i've been lurking these threads... Big Diaz and Deftones fan here!

You "have" to learn the politics game? Why play a game. Why be forced to having to learn to be fake. Diplomatic...that's what's wrong w the world bunch of fake self interested drones.....Nick is a game changer. He didn't subscribe to this "having to learn the politics" and he has managed to get fights with two of the GOATS ever.

Exactly.

When the current system of made up of bullshit and doesn't work, or only benefits a few, you don't need to "play the game" in order to make things better. In fact, "playing the game" is only going to contribute to a tyrannical system and the only way to make real lasting change is to ignore corrupt systems all together and find new alternative ways to live your life and progress as a human being.

No some people, myself included are into fighter that fight the way Nick does. Unique mma boxing, amazing bjj, infinite cardio, great chin, never back down attitude. Never been finished, always delivers, might not be a big winner under ufc rules but he would be in my top 3 fighters i would never compete against.
The guy Fights, that's why i like him.

yes, yes he has

I'm not a fan of Nick, but I understand why he has a big following. He puts up entertaining fights and he doesn't seem to care what people think. Nick will always be marketable no matter what. My issue is his apparent victim syndrome, but as I said in spite of that i can see why he appeals to lots of people.

With this I do fully agree...

I have tried to be a fan of his. I like so much of what he does and how he fights.

Unfortunately, the combination of tough guy talk and mean mugging followed by being probably the whiniest fighter in MMA just really puts me off. The contradictions are just weird to me.

If I didn't follow the sport as closely, I would probably be a big fan.

Can someone explain the irony? Is Diaz handicapped? Missing a limb? Does Diaz have CM-Punk-level of skill?

Though more "educated" fans will probably hate hearing this, but his whole persona embodies what most people like about MMA/fighting in general. Some would like to believe that MMA is about sportsmanship and two competitors testing their skills against one another, which it may be at it's core, but the majority of people that drive the UFC/MMA's popularity watch essentially to see a.) one guy f***ing up another guy, or even better b.) two guys f***ing each other up.

Everything about Nick says "I'm not here to test my skill against a fellow worthy opponent, I'm in here to hurt this dude", and people like that.

except for nick specifically said he didnt want to hurt anyone and thinks other fighters are lying when they say as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYmYX32pbxA

he's never been close to being finished in the UFC, he has quite a few fights that were bad decisions. When he loses the opponent plays the point game and avoid really fighting him.

What were the bad decisions? Who beat him by "point" fighting? I guess you could say Condit but thats just one fight.

Jackson finished him

Karo was a close fight but a good decision IMO. Definitely no point fighting

Same goes for Diego

Riggs was an ugly boxing match but a clear win

I really don't remember the Sherk fight but wasn't it mostly a boxing match to?

Noons was a beat down

I guess Condit could be called point fighting and some thought it was a bad decision

GSP embarrassed him. Standing and grappling.

There is a myth that Diaz can only be beaten by wrestlers who lay and pray him but the truth is, while he has been out grappled, it has never been by lay and pray.

PPV
2011: Penn vs. Diaz was the third lowest PPV matchup all year long (behind Frankie and Gray, 1&2, and barely beating out Penn vs. Fitch)
Matches that "moved the needle" better. Some expected to, some not...
Silva vs. Belfort
Shogun vs. Jones
GSP vs. Shields
Rampage vs. Hamill
Dos Santos vs. Carwin
Cruz vs. Faber
Evans vs. Ortiz
Silva vs. Okami
Jones vs. Rampage
Henderson vs. Rua
Jones vs. Machida
Lesnar vs. Overeem

2012: UFC 143 Condit vs. Diaz was in the bottom half of the PPV sell that year.
Matches that "moved the needle" better. Some expected to, some not...
Jones vs. Evans 700,000
Dos Santos vs. Mir
Silva vs. Sonnen II
Jones vs. Belfort
Silva vs. Bonnar
GSP vs. Condit

FREE TV
2010:
Diaz vs. Zaromskis 517,000 viewers
Diaz vs. Noons II 350,000 viewers

Varner vs. Henderson 640,000 viewers
Maynard vs. Diaz 1.7M viewers
Bowles vs. Cruz 373,000 viewers
Vera vs. Jones 1.24M viewers
Florian vs. Gomi 1.6M viewers
Shields vs. Henderson 2.86M viewers
Hamill vs. Jardine 2.0M viewers
Fedor vs. Werdum 412,000 viewers
Jones vs. Matyshenko 991,000 viewers
Lawal vs. Cavalcante 367,000 viewers
Marquhardt vs. Palhares 1.2M viewers
Aldo vs. Gamburyan 486,000 viewers
Bisping vs. Akiyama 1.9M viewers
Faber vs. Mizugaki 570,000 viewers
Marquhardt vs. Okami 2.2M viewers
Bonnar vs. Pokrajac 1.7M viewers
Henderson vs. Pettis 615,000 viewers

2011:
Diaz vs. Cyborg 561,000 viewers
Diaz vs. Daley 528,000 viewers
Fight for Troops 2 Dunham vs. Guillard 1.85M viewers
Strikeforce/M1 Global: Fedor vs. Silva 741,000 viewers
Sanchez vs. Kampmann 681,000 viewers
Nogueira vs. Davis 2.2M viewers
Guida vs. Pettis 1.8M viewers
Overeem vs. Werdum 624,000 viewers
Kongo vs. Barry 744,000 viewers
Fedor vs. Henderson 571,000 viewers
Hardy vs. Lytle 766,000 viewers
Shields vs. Ellenberger 1.8M viewers
Cruz vs. Johnson 789,000 viewers
Leben vs. Munoz 1.8M viewers
UFC on FOX 1 5.7M viewers
Bisping vs. Miller 2.5M viewers

Either all of his fans are broke ass cholos, with no TV, or he doesn't have NEARLY the fans that you think he does. I would bet on the latter. My theory? His few fans are just as loud, obnoxious, delusional and high as he is, so they make the most noise. It's funny that his fan base makes so much noise to make themselves look bigger and better than they actually are, just like Nick and Nate.

209, Bitch!!!

Diaz has so many fans because there are a lot of white trash ufc fans

Late breaking news. Diaz is a cholo. The only thing white trash people want from them is their food order correct.

I don't think Diaz is one of the UFC's most popular fighters, by a l00000000000000ng shot.

He's in the same boat as Reem, Rousey, etc.

You either love him or hate him.

I was with you, until you said Rousey. Not my favorite, by far. But I think they could make a PPV event where Rousey faces a nobody in a rock/paper/scissors match, and it would do triple the numbers of anything Diaz has ever done, excluding GSP carrying him in his only respectable ppv.

Late breaking news. Diaz is a cholo. The only thing white trash people want from them is their food order correct.

He is not a Cholo! dumbest comparison ever.. Just a bad ass California raised man

Agreed. And I admire him for not being scared of Dana White, unlike most fighters. Nick puts a lot on the line by being himself, warts and all, and many people admire that kind of courage.

Unlike when Dana acts "real" and "tells it like it is", Nick isn't trying to be cool and Edgy. It seems like he just wants to be comfortable. The kind of people that connect with his kind of personality are definitely a different kind of people than those who connect with Dana's.

Spot on.

Diaz has so many fans because there are a lot of white trash ufc fans

Horribly mistaken. White trash ussually hates on this 'ghetto' pot smokers kids that throw the middle finger while not being in a pro wrestling ring. White trash ppl enjoys the likes of the Matt Hughes's of the sport. Fit looking yes men who support the company before the men, and throw under the bus whoever dare to question authority.

Back