Irony of Nick Diaz being one of UFC's most popular fighters.

He is not a Cholo! dumbest comparison ever.. Just a bad ass California raised man

“He’s such a cholo, bro. He don’t smile one bit; he don’t say hi to nobody. I like having him around; he has a great intimidation factor. He’s all business. He’s always ready to go." Gilbert Melendez on Nate

Nick's friend....

training partner....

around him a LOT....

Calls him a cholo.....

You, sir, win the interwebs for today.

Nick is also a clean fighter. I would be really surprised if him or Nate were ever on PEDs.

Ganja isn't a PED to me

Diaz did pretty well for himself without a pr machine shoving him down everyones throats.

I like Diaz as a fighter. As others have said he always comes to scrap and that I admire.

His personality is pure hilarity to me. His mumbling, incoherent rants are just awkward and embarrassing to watch but you just ... can't ... stop watching it. His whining is too much for me most times however and he seems to whine pretty much non-stop. If he loses he complains, talks shit about the guy he just lost to, retires and then bitches and moans about pay. Side note: the same applies to his brother.

After all is said and done I'm still a fan simply because he really is just fun to watch both in cage and out.

It sounds weird to say, but Nick is probably the biggest potentials in all of MMA. Or used to be. If he was doing this for love of the sport, or saw that he could make Anderson Silva money if he gave it his all, there's very few people I could see him beating him most of the time.

Honestly, that fuels my dislike of him even more.

Part of the reason I like Diaz so much is b/c he is "real" in the sense that he says what he means.

But a HUGE reason is that he comes to fight and to finish and he has a UNIQUE style/game.
With the over saturation of MMA nowadays I get so tired of seeing the same style of jab jab jab jab....takedown....stalll. Granted not every fight is like that and not ever fighter is the same, but I like someone who is unique and special. Anderson, Machida, Nog (in prime), Diaz, Akiyama's judo, Maia's BJJ (when he first came into UFC), Pettis, Cerrone.

There are a million Ryan Baders and Phil Davis and Gleison Tibaus and Jake Ellenbergers. Yes all good fighters but there 100 people just like them waiting. Give me something different and fun to watch please.

I don't get the hype around this guy. 7-6 in the UFC? Hasn't won in 3 years? Is it just his attitude that the fans like?

I don't get the hype around this guy. 7-6 in the UFC? Hasn't won in 3 years? Is it just his attitude that the fans like?

A lot of newer fans will either love or hate Diaz. For those who have followed the sport for a bit he has a storied history. I didn't really like him at first, after he KO'd Lawler, and then shat my pants when he beat Gomi with a fractured orbital. That made me a fan.

Since then his career has been a rollercoaster and his interviews give insight to his true personality. They are not canned responses to questions he's rehearsed being asked over and over. People like him because he is an Anti-Hero.

Also, he is among the ever-dwindling number of the "old guard" who are still relevant. People love that shit. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Robbie win that title.

I
Just wondering what proof you have that nick is a star. Not saying it isn't true but i would like to see proof if you have it.

Anyone can sell fighting gsp, gsp is the draw I don't think that proves him a star.

His ppv with Condit did well 400k but that's not huge.

His ppv with bj Penn tanked at like 280k buys

Last edited:
I
Just wondering what proof you have that nick is a star. Not saying it isn't true but i would like to see proof if you have it.

Anyone can sell fighting gsp, gsp is the draw I don't think that proves him a star

I agree. I plainly said it wasn't true by providing tons of PPV and free tv views data. Nick is a draw, but he isn't anywhere near what his fans say. I would put him firmly in the Jon Fitch category, considering he performed almost identical PPV buys fighting the same person only months apart.

[YT]OotmRiJO3G4[/YT]

Nick is as real as it gets and that is why people love him

Ppl like Diaz because he is not fake. He is what he is and he says what he means that is why people like him

And win or lose his fights are never boring

This! Exactly why am a fan. (not becasue he whines, flips people off, talks like a confused mental patient, ect...). Dude brings it and is honest and has an amazing skill set as a martial artist. What more can a fight fan ask for?

Most top-level fighters are wooden personalities and generic fighting styles. Diaz is absolutely not. That alone will always make him popular compared to his more professional (and boring) opponents.

I could do without the constant whining and crying after every loss. How many times has he retired now?

Maybe Diaz has been trolling everyone and retiring as a money tactic to get good return fight contracts. He got Anderson Silva off a loss, and we know he gets well paid for fights despite his bitching.

He's been one of the early fighters to publicly talk about the pay scale and wanting to be paid more for fighting.

Last edited:
Back