Irony of Nick Diaz being one of UFC's most popular fighters.

taggermest

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Not in comparisons of Anderson Silva or GSP (international reach)...

But aside from few names like Cain, JJ, RR.

His fan base is by far larger than any other opponent hes ever faced including Robbie Lawler ( one of my fav fighters )

Or larger than the vast majority of UFC fighters

And it is so ironic that he did it without trying. In fact he loathes interviews, media, "beauty pageants"

Almost like a Kurt Kobain of MMA. Not surprised in his choice of walkout songs (deftones).

tbh i believe he has a bigger fan base than cain velasquez.

Ppl like Diaz because he is not fake. He is what he is and he says what he means that is why people like him

And win or lose his fights are never boring

He's a fighter, he doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Doesn't have a ripped physique, average looking guy and just comes in to fight and throw combos.

It's entertaining.

Agreed. And I admire him for not being scared of Dana White, unlike most fighters. Nick puts a lot on the line by being himself, warts and all, and many people admire that kind of courage.

Unlike when Dana acts "real" and "tells it like it is", Nick isn't trying to be cool and Edgy. It seems like he just wants to be comfortable. The kind of people that connect with his kind of personality are definitely a different kind of people than those who connect with Dana's.

I'm not a fan of Nick, but I understand why he has a big following. He puts up entertaining fights and he doesn't seem to care what people think. Nick will always be marketable no matter what. My issue is his apparent victim syndrome, but as I said in spite of that i can see why he appeals to lots of people.

Diaz has so many fans because there are a lot of white trash ufc fans

I'm not a fan of Nick, but I understand why he has a big following. He puts up entertaining fights and he doesn't seem to care what people think. Nick will always be marketable no matter what. My issue is his apparent victim syndrome, but as I said in spite of that i can see why he appeals to lots of people.

lol you just clarified a key difference between Nick vs. Dana for me. Victim syndrome vs God complex.

I see him putting on entertaining fights as a reason for his popularity only with some people, since he doesn't fight all that often. I rather think his popularity has to do with him comming across as genuine. Although, I am a fan of his because in the few lucid statements he offered over the years, he seems like a much deeper person than one would initially think. More times than not, he seems to suffer from Conans syndrome (the barbarian, not the redhead), a romantic with oppinions and a unique moral code, but lacking in the mental capacity to fully express himself, thus trusting more in his fists than mouth.

Nice try.

A lot of his fans like his BJJ game too. White trash fans couldn't care less about ground game.

The guy is as he is, a pure human, agree or disagree with him. He could not care less and I like that.

Can't say I rooted for him in all his fights but he had me jumping up and down watching him fight a few times

His style is exciting, and his shit talking mid fight doesn't hurt. His fights with Lawler early on were very exciting, as well as the Daley were great.

His persona goes well with MMA. More so than guys like lawler, hendricks, rory etc.

Ppl like Diaz because he is not fake. He is what he is and he says what he means that is why people like him

And win or lose his fights are never boring

You summed up the gist of it quite nicely.

I could do without the constant whining and crying after every loss. How many times has he retired now?

His persona goes well with MMA. More so than guys like lawler, hendricks, rory etc.

What does it matter that the persona of two of the three you mentioned were World Champs....SMH!!!!....

racist1.gif

Back