Iowa Wrestling Weight training video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cael coaches at Iowa?

Iowa does not equal Iowa State.

Hawkeyes / Cyclones.

Oh: Fuck you enright. I mean that in the nicest way possible.

WTF ever hapened to Mike Van Arsdale?

Exactly, Dan. I have a great amount of respect for Ross, but I'm not sure if he should have replied without watching the video first.

I have nothing but respect for Ross also. I was just very surprised with the comment, whether he had watched the video or not. If he was someone who it didn't seem like he thought out his posts, it wouldn't be such a surprise. But he generally only posts very well thought out posts.

* I was in no way trying to make him look bad. I had thought that I read another post of his after he had watched the video, but it was not him. My memory failed me with that, or I would have cited him not watching it.

Sure he would have. Some of you have severe reading comprehension problems. Read what he says. They don't win on chin up bars, or in the weight room. They win on the mat. I posted it to share, varying modalities of working out. Yet some of you sit and trash the best program in the country because they don't lift well. Haha, yet none of you questioning their lifting, could make that team. Irony?

Sure he would have. Some of you have severe reading comprehension problems. Read what he says. They don't win on chin up bars, or in the weight room. They win on the mat. I posted it to share, varying modalities of working out. Yet some of you sit and trash the best program in the country because they don't lift well. Haha, yet none of you questioning their lifting, could make that team. Irony?

You see, our point isn't just to nitpick because they are successful wrestlers. It's that if they were on a better program made by a very well respected coach, they would be doing even better in the S&C department. instead, they are on a program that promotes bad form (which most likely has, and will lead to injury).

We never once downplayed their skills on the mats.

Your point changes nothing. its kind of like complaining without a solution. Most DI programs other than football and basketball are the back burners for funding etc, or time spent from S&C coaches. The good ones are not as plentiful as you think. That's why most top college football coaches take their S&C coaches with them when they leave ala Urban Meyer.

I wouldn't ay they promote bad form, but that wasn't the purpose there either. none of them were using max weights either.

Injuries, well we will see.

Either way, it was shown to give people a look at things. Then all the glory hounds, that ift perfectly(yet aren't anywhere near that caliber) shoot it to shit.

Only on the internet

Your point changes nothing. its kind of like complaining without a solution. Most DI programs other than football and basketball are the back burners for funding etc, or time spent from S&C coaches. The good ones are not as plentiful as you think. That's why most top college football coaches take their S&C coaches with them when they leave ala Urban Meyer.

I wouldn't ay they promote bad form, but that wasn't the purpose there either. none of them were using max weights either.

Injuries, well we will see.

Either way, it was shown to give people a look at things. Then all the glory hounds, that ift perfectly(yet aren't anywhere near that caliber) shoot it to shit.

Only on the internet

I gave a solution, hire a proper S&C coach. That does promote very bad form, how can you even deny that? And again, they would do better on a proper lifting program.

Your only point is that they are great wrestlers, which no one has denied. We are saying that they would be even stronger if they were on a proper program.

It has nothing to do with being online "armchair quarterbacks". It has to do with knowing a little bit about proper strength training.

Some people excel due to their training, some people excel despite it.

Not arguining their form. I am saying what does it matter in the gammit of their championship run? Your solution is much easier said than done. I explained why, but you failed to read it.

Stronger? Better program? Or better form? How many available S&C coaches are available with a superior wrestling background?

Sure it does. No matter what you know, it is most likely you can take the guy in your weight class, and his matt strength would be stronger than yours no matter what the gym strength is. Years of resistance is why.

Not at Iowa

Not arguining their form. I am saying what does it matter in the gammit of their championship run? Your solution is much easier said than done. I explained why, but you failed to read it.

Stronger? Better program? Or better form? How many available S&C coaches are available with a superior wrestling background?

Sure it does. No matter what you know, it is most likely you can take the guy in your weight class, and his matt strength would be stronger than yours no matter what the gym strength is. Years of resistance is why.

Not at Iowa

There are plenty of strength coaches for hire, and you're telling me a large college can not find one to hire?

Why would the coaches have to have a wrestling background? Hire a weightlifted for weights, a wrestler for wrestling.

Again, you fail to realize or admit that their training can be better. I don't know why you do this, are you the trainer?

It's the bottom line, at a high level of competition with better training you WILL be better at your sport than before. Especially in a sport like wrestling where strength is very important.

Not at Iowa

Maybe none of us couldn't make the team because we're not as good WRESTLERS as they are. And why does a good strength coach have to have a wrestling background? Oh, wait...I forgot. Their coach must be making them perform lifts with form that makes their "wrestling muscles" stronger...:rolleyes:

Look, bro, there is a way to do a press/clean/chin/row the right way...and it is also possible to do them the wrong way...which is what they're doing.

And, btw, you posted this on a fucking WEIGHT LIFTING forum. What the hell did you expect when people started criticizing their form?

"Have to get their leg muscles ready to fire".

LMAO

There are plenty of strength coaches for hire, and you're telling me a large college can not find one to hire?

I am telling you there are not that many around to hire

Why would the coaches have to have a wrestling background? Hire a weightlifted for weights, a wrestler for wrestling.

*sigh* would you hire Billy Rush for Football players? No, MMA yes. Would you hire Charlie Francis for baseball? No track of course. Thats' why. Come on now

Again, you fail to realize or admit that their training can be better. I don't know why you do this, are you the trainer?

I'm not their trainer. Sure they could use a better strength coach, but he may be it for now, and I enjoyed seeing his perspective.
It's the bottom line, at a high level of competition with better training you WILL be better at your sport than before. Especially in a sport like wrestling where strength is very important.

In blue

Maybe none of us couldn't make the team because we're not as good WRESTLERS as they are. And why does a good strength coach have to have a wrestling background? Oh, wait...I forgot. Their coach must be making them perform lifts with form that makes their "wrestling muscles" stronger...:rolleyes:

Look, bro, there is a way to do a press/clean/chin/row the right way...and it is also possible to do them the wrong way...which is what they're doing.

And, btw, you posted this on a fucking WEIGHT LIFTING forum. What the hell did you expect when people started criticizing their form?

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. But I answered it below on having specific strength coaches for specific sports.:rolleyes:

You saw a 40 second trailer, not all of their training. In the video yes it was incorrect.

Really? I didn't know what forum this is. Thanks for helping me know that. it wasn't a form post, it was a post showing different ideas.

I completely understand your point of view.

But it's proven that with proper training, you will become better. His form of training is uninformed and dangerous. If he wants to mimic the movements of wrestling more closely, he should be using sandbags then instead of barbells. The guy isn't a strength coach, he's an ex-wrestler.

And yes, when you have an INFORMED strength coach in training people from your sport, there is no need for them to have competed in your sport.

Well here is the thing. Are they better since he got there? Worse? Even? Actually they have improved. That there is proof enough for me. Could they have improved more? Maybe, but you can't argue success.

I beg to differ. I told you why. if I wanted to train Football players, I would not call Rush, or Warrent, I would call parisi. That's my point. Damn comprehension is lacking these days.

Well here is the thing. Are they better since he got there? Worse? Even? Actually they have improved. That there is proof enough for me. Could they have improved more? Maybe, but you can't argue success.

I beg to differ. I told you why. if I wanted to train Football players, I would not call Rush, or Warrent, I would call parisi. That's my point. Damn comprehension is lacking these days.

So, let me get this straight...

The strength coach HAS to have competed in the sport he is helping train athletes for? I agree that would be beneficial, but not necessary.

If I my goals are to compete in MMA (which they are, one day), then does that mean my strength coach must have competed in MMA? Not necessarily.

I wouldn't be turning down Louie Simmons for a strength coach. :icon_chee

This is my point! They had the chance to improve even more.

But this seems to be beyond you.

The strength coach HAS to have competed in the sport he is helping train athletes for? I agree that would be beneficial, but not necessary.

If I my goals are to compete in MMA (which they are, one day), then does that mean my strength coach must have competed in MMA? Not necessarily.

No! How dare you try and make sense! Sense doesn't mix with wrestling!

:rolleyes:

Doesn't HAVE to but you could end up with some fucked up soccer drills for baseball players. Your choice though.

Not really. Should he have trained MA fighters? Absolutely.

Neither would I. But prepping for a fight etc, no he is not who I would choose to get ready for a fight, that would be Billy Rush or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back