Instinctive grappling

Cojofl said:
You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

And youre a guy that has seen way to much Fight Club.

That movie was meant to be a satire, don't take it literally, like those stupid kids who tried to start their own fight clubs.

gungfudisciple said:
Is it possible t be a good grappler withut actual grappling training? If someone had a great instinct, and naturally knew how to physically react to an attack, counter and escape just based on his assessment of the situation at hand. For example, he would instinctively defend underhooks because that would allow the opponent to wrap him up. Or ducking or sprawling instinctively from takedown attempts?

The reason I am asking is the closest Ive come to grappling is seing it on tv and online. I have trained in striking and conditining all my life, but recently I decided to expand my range and I got hooked on MMA. I want to learn to be a good grappler, wrestler and jiu-jitsu player, but until I can get some actual experience. But what I have been doing is meditating on it. I have visualized every grappling scenario I have ever seen. In my mind, I have gone through a million moves and feel that my instincts and mental feel are very sharp.

I am loking for a place to train grappling s I will find out soon enough. My question is this: how god can one graple based spolely on instinct and feel?

Before I started Sambo I also watched a lot of instructionals during several months and I memorised a lot of moves in my mind. Before, I never had any grappling background. Only 3 years of TKD. When I started the visualisation and instructionals helped me a lot and I did submitt several white belts who had up to 6 months of training more than me. But the higher ranked belts had all an edge on me and they submitted me. So visualising helped me a lot against the new belts but I still had a lot to learn. The place I train, we only can train once per week. So I went once per week to training and the rest of time I used visualisation as a complement and still do. After one year I passed my first belt and due to visualisation I earned directly 2 belts, what, after the instructor was really exceptional. Cause we passed our belts with other schools too and there were peoples who trained up to 5 times per week and I had improved faster then them with only one day training per week. After one year and a half I also started MMA. I lost my first amateur fight after points but I did win the second one with an armbar. And after that I had a semi professional fight in MMA which I did win with a triangle.

Now it's 2 years that I train. I will have my next belt test in 2 or 3 weeks and I believe that once again I will pass minimum one, maybe 2 belts this time. Since some time my instructor who has several schools also passed me the school I train in. So it's me now who trains the peoples there at least 3 times per month of 4. That also helped me alot to increase my game because you need to know the techniques really in detail to explain them to others. And the other studens like most of time what I am showing them (at least it's what they are saying).

But when I began I also thought that I was the real deal but as soon as I fought the first time the instructor I saw that I still had a long way. My instructor is a black belt and untill now I submitted him only once during a fight and that only cause he gave me the possibility to get him into a sub. Only he didn't fought that I would catch him. Didn't happen again since then.

But in fact learning trough visualisation and instructionals helped improve my game a lot. Actually I master allready about 200 techniques. But you always have to try all the techniques you learn that way in a real fight, cause there are a lot of little details you need to adjust, and also the setups of the submissions you can only learn true real sparring.

My instructor also helped me alot, I learned a lot watching him on the details and trough explanations he gave me. Things I wouldn't have learned and understand only with visualisation. But passed a certain level you will improve a lot more and faster if you use visualisation then those who don't. Nothing can remplace real sparring but you can improve your game faster and better with instructionals.

Here's what you do to answer your question, go to a tounament before anytraining.

Trust me though you'll get your ass handed to you.

gungfudisciple said:
Is it possible t be a good grappler withut actual grappling training? If someone had a great instinct, and naturally knew how to physically react to an attack, counter and escape just based on his assessment of the situation at hand. For example, he would instinctively defend underhooks because that would allow the opponent to wrap him up. Or ducking or sprawling instinctively from takedown attempts?

The reason I am asking is the closest Ive come to grappling is seing it on tv and online. I have trained in striking and conditining all my life, but recently I decided to expand my range and I got hooked on MMA. I want to learn to be a good grappler, wrestler and jiu-jitsu player, but until I can get some actual experience. But what I have been doing is meditating on it. I have visualized every grappling scenario I have ever seen. In my mind, I have gone through a million moves and feel that my instincts and mental feel are very sharp.

I am loking for a place to train grappling s I will find out soon enough. My question is this: how god can one graple based spolely on instinct and feel?

with no training....no it is not. impossible. grapple with new people.... with everyone, you quickly learn this

Back