Instinctive grappling

grappling and golf have the same problem. . .people only see the best guys on tv and think that all one needs to do is to smack that ball as hard as one can or wrap ur legs around ur oponent and something magical will happen out of thin air. .. .bjj is an EXTREMELY tecnical sport. . . .there are 1000s of things u need to learn before u can armbar somone who is resisting

LOL.. Have fun the first day you roll. There is no substitute to mat time.

gungfudisciple said:
Can a three month practicioner execute the bottom guard hip thrust escape into and armbar that Fedor Emelianenko defeated Mark Coleman with? Ive done that move to perfection in my mind, and on the mat although without a partner but the motion, speed and technique are all there.

I am not saying I can beat ANY trained grappler, just letting you know that mentally, I am far from an amateur, and I dont think any beginner could beat me. Even though I have never grappled, I have a very solid repertoire of moves in my mind, ready to go. That has to be worth something.

You can do it a million times in your mind but that means nothing until you've practiced it on a resisting opponent.

Your mental repertoire of moves is of very little use at all, if any, because you've never trained them.

Take it from me. Before starting BJJ (I'm still a beginner) I had 6-7 years of wrestling, and I had studied numerous instructionals. I had envisioned all these scenarios and all the things i thought I knew how to do. My first day of bjj I got tapped by white belts. You don't know nearly as much as you think you do.

After he actually gets on the mat with anyone with training, he'll understand that it's not as easy as it seems and will laugh at how silly his post is.

Visualizing something you've never really done on a serious level and thinking you'll be able to do kick ass in real life is called fantacizing. What you've done is constructed a fantasy for yourself, just like the one where you walk into a bar and thirty minutes later, you're taking three of the hottest chicks back to your apartment for a good time. It's a fantasy. Real life works differently.

gracie_barra said:
Does anyone fuckn train anymore?
Every day theres a new post : "Guys I roll with my friends in their backyard and I work them."
"How do you get out of this submission hold? I cant ask the instructor, because my instructor is TUF season 1."
"Hey guys I think I can make it to UFC: I know all the answers to every question ever asked, without training. "
"Hey guys.. hey guys hey guys."
Shut the hell up! And TRAIN!

LOL, i love how they name drop also... "Sakuraba does this, so I do it too"...

This *has* to be trolling. If so, hats off to you -- its +1 funny....
Now, if you just coulda worked in Tibetan Snake Boxing.

I once choked out Rickson... in my mind. So I know I can do it in person.

bammann45 said:
This *has* to be trolling. If so, hats off to you -- its +1 funny....
Now, if you just coulda worked in Tibetan Snake Boxing.

If you think its trolling, please do not bump the thread. I have begun grappling training in bjj, training was postponed last week because they were prepping their guys for the NAGA event in Miami but I resume training this thursday.

This is the funniest thread ever, fair do's.

I'd watched loads of MMA, and I could beat people who knew nothing in a fight (just messing around at a beach party one day) pretty easily.

Guess what happened when I started training? I got majorly tooled.

Same thing is going to happen to you, except you'll be pissed when it happens because you have a fantasy that you're going to be amazing. I knew I was going to get my ass kicked.

Some people definately take to grappling quicker than others. I can see it with my training class. Some people advance much faster. No one has walked through the door with no experience and been any good though.

gungfudisciple said:
I have begun grappling training in bjj

How'd you go?
What'd you do?
What do you think?
Was it peaceful?

I am genuinely interested.

gungfu i feel sorry for u. ur post is so embarrassing there is nothing left to say. anyways now that u have started training hopefully share with us what reality was like.

You need training partnetrs. You aint going to be good solely visualizing moves and scenarios in your head. The only way to learn is to get your ass on the mat.

gungfudisciple said:
If you think its trolling, please do not bump the thread. I have begun grappling training in bjj, training was postponed last week because they were prepping their guys for the NAGA event in Miami but I resume training this thursday.

So how are you doing against other white belts? Are you pretty much being controlled by guys who started a few months ago? Or are you tapping out blue belts because of all your pre-training visualization of all the submissions you can put people in.

If you are physically strong, fit, are good at moving like gymnatic and athletic you will be a naturally good grappler.

You won;t beat top guys but you will be able to dominate a lot of people.

Screw visualization. It takes too long. Training takes even longer. I'm working on a machine like in the Matrix so I can just download black belt level jiu-jitsu right into my brain. What do ya guys think?

yeah so i've been visualizing that i am superman and i can fly and stuff , in my head i can leap tall buildings and everything is perfect because thats how i want it to be

i'm going to go try jumping off a building tomorow.

thats the equivalent of the stupidities you posted. you will get wtfpwned 4 times every second and your mental "preparation" will serve no purpose other than to amuse the random people who answer this thread

You probably feel silly now that you've trained, but as long as you're still rolling regularly you should be proud. I want to know if you do genuinely understand why everyone flamed you so much, and are just too embarrassed to come back, or if you still feel capable thanks to visualising.

I'm not trying to hate on you man, most people felt the same way you did before they started training, so I'm interested in your current state of mind.

I think you can be as good with one month of regular visualisation as compared to a few years of regular training.

In fact, I think you shouldnt bother with entering competitions - after all, you already KNOW you are better in your mind, right? So just hold competitions in your mind against all comers.

Make sure you come and let us know when you have won Pride/UFC in your mind because surely that is a great achievement. You can then imagine our admiration and awe of your skill.

[/sarcasm]

Having a vivid imagination will make you a dreamer. Take a dose of reality - mental visualisation is an AID not a SUBSTITUTE for actual real training, experience and dedication.

It is proven that going over techniques in your mind will improve that action when you perform it, but you might as well go over a record-breaking olympic lift in your mind for all the good your mental visualisation will do you if you dont put in the perspiration.

Back