• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Inherited father in law's guns and bows

My IL firearms owners card finally arrived but when I went to get the revolver from the mother in law's house, her brother had already came over and taken it and sold it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'd like to shoot him in his ass for it.

Just read through the thread!

Bummer. Real Bummer.

My IL firearms owners card finally arrived but when I went to get the revolver from the mother in law's house, her brother had already came over and taken it and sold it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Damn that absolutely sucks.

Well that's fucked up. Unfortunatly it's all too common when there's a death in the family, it brings out the worst in people when they see some easy $$$.

Almost that exact same thing happened when my grandfather got sick, I'd actually quit a job at the time and moved in with him to help him out because he absolutely refused to die in a group home or something (he was a stubborn old soldier). He had a few guns that he had promised me (that isn't why I was helping him), there was an old 1911, caliber which we got but there was a few old revolvers that were pretty nice, old authentic smith and wessons, colts and then a few older rifles.

Me and my dad wanted the guns because my dad had grown up with most of them and I'd even hunted when I was very young for deer in Michigan with a few of them.

Anyways I have a dead beat uncle who never showed up to visit my grandfather even though he lived like 30 minutes away, he showed up after my grandpa had died, I was out on a bike ride and he took all the guns and pawned them. The police wouldn't do anything because there was no official will and it was "family".

I talked to the pawn shop and the guns had already been sold but I learned that the uncle had sold them all for 700 dollars cash and the pawn shop owner also said the uncle had spent it all in the bar across the street hat day (small town, word gets around).

The funny thing is as we were cleaning out the house, we found a locked briefcase thing and my dad had found an unmarked key in the safe deposit box, well the key fit and there was 2 beautiful blued colt pythons and several boxes of "vintage" ammo for them.

There was even a note that said something like "roger" (my dad), I hope you found these because I don't want that asshole Wendell (uncle) to get them.

So we ended up with the old service 1911 that had been carried in ww2 and Korea and a few colt pythons but the guns that were pawned off for a big night of booze had a lot of sentimental value.

There was a lot of other stuff that that uncle stole but those guns chafed my ass the most. Flat out rude and disreapectful.

Well that's fucked up. Unfortunatly it's all too common when there's a death in the family, it brings out the worst in people when they see some easy $$$.

Almost that exact same thing happened when my grandfather got sick, I'd actually quit a job at the time and moved in with him to help him out because he absolutely refused to die in a group home or something (he was a stubborn old soldier). He had a few guns that he had promised me (that isn't why I was helping him), there was an old 1911, caliber which we got but there was a few old revolvers that were pretty nice, old authentic smith and wessons, colts and then a few older rifles.

Me and my dad wanted the guns because my dad had grown up with most of them and I'd even hunted when I was very young for deer in Michigan with a few of them.

Anyways I have a dead beat uncle who never showed up to visit my grandfather even though he lived like 30 minutes away, he showed up after my grandpa had died, I was out on a bike ride and he took all the guns and pawned them. The police wouldn't do anything because there was no official will and it was "family".

I talked to the pawn shop and the guns had already been sold but I learned that the uncle had sold them all for 700 dollars cash and the pawn shop owner also said the uncle had spent it all in the bar across the street hat day (small town, word gets around).

The funny thing is as we were cleaning out the house, we found a locked briefcase thing and my dad had found an unmarked key in the safe deposit box, well the key fit and there was 2 beautiful blued colt pythons and several boxes of "vintage" ammo for them.

There was even a note that said something like "roger" (my dad), I hope you found these because I don't want that asshole Wendell (uncle) to get them.

So we ended up with the old service 1911 that had been carried in ww2 and Korea and a few colt pythons but the guns that were pawned off for a big night of booze had a lot of sentimental value.

There was a lot of other stuff that that uncle stole but those guns chafed my ass the most. Flat out rude and disreapectful.
Same sort of thing happened when my grandpa died. My dad was on merchant ships at the time and an M1 Tanker, .44mag lever action, and a nice Winchester Model 12 in 20 gauge among other guns grew legs and walked along with a bunch of tools when repairmen came over to check the gauges and shit.

Luckily my dad got his dad's Winchester 30-30 and .300 Savage Model 99 but there were a bunch more that just suddenly vanished.

I have no clue. The wife and I were pretty upset about it. He knows nothing about firearms and we think got less than half what it was worth to make it even worse.

Dang

Sorry to hear it TS. I got cheated out of a Kimber 1911 and a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 that was at least 45-50 years old. Thief was never positively ID'd, but there was an obvious suspect. :(

I did go to the archery range a little while ago. I'm a newb and forgot to find out the distances, but here were my first groupings.

This was at the end of the range
jT4TRll.jpg

And this was midway down range
Xa8ohWL.jpg

Maybe you guys who are smarter than me will have estimates of the typical indoor range.

EDIT
These were towards the end of my first hour. Acclimating myself to the bow yielded shots that were too embarrassing to show you LOL

Good news for those who are following my newbie adventure into the hobby of firearms.

I went and bought a new cleaning kit to clean the 12 gauge up, and bought some ammo. I bought some double ought buckshot for home defense, and bought some #4 buckshot just to put through it and get used to it. The guy at the gun shop suggested the double ought for home defense, then the guy where I bought the #4 said it might be a more manageable shell for a beginner. I'm not sure either way, I just too their word for it. Will be watching tutorials and trying to clean the shot gun tonight :)

Also, I might be getting the revolver back! I saw my wife's uncle at an early Christmas dinner last night and he hadn't sold it but yet and just put it up at his mother in law's house he said. He said he would bring it back for me since he didn't know I wanted it. Now I have to see how long he takes to follow through :)

Good news! He brought the gun back and I just need to go pick it up! Thankfully he hadn't sold it yet and is gonna give it back to me.

Good news for those who are following my newbie adventure into the hobby of firearms.

I went and bought a new cleaning kit to clean the 12 gauge up, and bought some ammo. I bought some double ought buckshot for home defense, and bought some #4 buckshot just to put through it and get used to it. The guy at the gun shop suggested the double ought for home defense, then the guy where I bought the #4 said it might be a more manageable shell for a beginner. I'm not sure either way, I just too their word for it. Will be watching tutorials and trying to clean the shot gun tonight :)

Also, I might be getting the revolver back! I saw my wife's uncle at an early Christmas dinner last night and he hadn't sold it but yet and just put it up at his mother in law's house he said. He said he would bring it back for me since he didn't know I wanted it. Now I have to see how long he takes to follow through :)

Shoot the bow a lot, maybe even take some lessons or make videos and post on archery forums. The worst thing you can do is practice too much with bad habits/form. That can be very very difficult to fix after you've been doing the wrong thing for months or even years. I'd take it to a shop and make sure he draw length is proper and the weight is right for you. I've used a bow for years and years for limited access areas and early season stuff, I used to do over the counter deer in Arizona every year and was really successful. In fact just a month or so ago, I was considering hanging up the rifles for a few years and just going bow only for awhile.

As for the shotgun, 00 buck is good for defense but don't buy the movie hype, know that if you touch that thing off inside a small room or a hallway, you'll likely suffer some degree of permanent hearing damage.

Glad you are getting your revolver back, nice to know that guy isn't a shitbag like my uncle was afternmy grandpa died. That 6" 686 should make a really fun range gun, just make sure to keep it clean if you fire lots of 38spcl through it, you don't want those carbon rings from the shorter cartridges to build up too much, makes it tougher to dump empty 357 shells out. You could easily use that thing to hunt deer in those dense Midwest forrests too where long shots are like 50m....if it's legal there, I don't know about Illinois laws.

Also start making your back and shoulders strong as shit if your going to get serious about archery.

Before bow hunting season I always really bump up my deadlift, pull up, chin up, overhead press work.

Thanks! I've gone to the archery range three times. Had the sight adjusted this last time, here was my last results.

This wasn't my tightest grouping but it was my nearest center (at 20 yards).

4vWZdsu.jpg

Draw weight listed on the spec sticker on the limb says 70 lbs.

Back