Infinite Intensity - Tactical Barbell 50 Day

I see you really enjoy the TB program. I just bought and read the book. It looks interesting. I'm doing MMA 3 times a week, so i'm still choosing between the Operator and Fighter template. Any recommendations for my first strength phase? I'm also a bit confused on the movement selection. For example if i pick squats, then i'm missing on deadlifts. Or u just change the cluster after 6-12 weeks?

Conditioning today....:

Density style -

kb snatches 3/arm - 5 mins
burpees - 5 mins
sledge/tire strikes 5/side - 5 mins
heavy bag jab/straight combos - 5 mins

Great little workout to mix it up and get the heart pumping.

I see you really enjoy the TB program. I just bought and read the book. It looks interesting. I'm doing MMA 3 times a week, so i'm still choosing between the Operator and Fighter template. Any recommendations for my first strength phase? I'm also a bit confused on the movement selection. For example if i pick squats, then i'm missing on deadlifts. Or u just change the cluster after 6-12 weeks?

Yeah good program, my results have been great. I really only have experience with Fighter template...but if I wasn't into boxing, I'd have gone with Operator instead. I think 3 x week/lifting with this program would've sped up my strength gains even more.

I'm a convert to only two days/week of strength training for combat athletes though. Unless your strength is really lagging behind your other skills....then I'd suggest doing Operator for several months till your strength's all 'caught up', then switch back to Fighter, and put more of your focus back on mma.

As far as clusters...I look at them as a guideline, but when I go back on Fighter (next month), I'll be doing bench/squats/deads/chins. That's what a couple top fighters at my gym have been doing all year, and no one's keeled over and died from doing squats & dl's in the same session yet. Another guy does a standard cluster (bench/squat/weighted chins) with Operator and throws in a couple sets of DL once a week.

Got a little derailed last couple days....due to an unexpectedly busy schedule. Squeezed in a quick 10 x 10 kb swing/snatch workout. Be back on track tomorrow.

Missed a couple workouts so just starting back up from mid-week 5. Weights/strength today......:

Pistols - 4 per leg
Bench - 180lbs
Weighted pull ups - 55lbs
80% RM

Felt fine, no issues completing reps/sets...I'll take a rest day tomorrow and start up on Week 6 day after (heavy week 90%).

Yesterday, finished up my repeat/catch-up week with a conditioning session:

2 mins skipping
30 kb swings
repeat x 5

Rest today.....week 6 starts tomorrow.

Today:

Pistols - 4 per leg
Bench - 200lbs
Weighted pull ups - 65lbs

90%

Flew through everything today fairly easily...strength has been gained. Exactly how much, I'll find out when I retest in a couple weeks. The pistols especially.....I am pretty sure I could've repped out at least ten with ease, if not more.

Today day 6.....conditioning at track:

400m
4 min rest
300m
3 min rest
200m
2 min rest
100m

Yesterday:

Pistols - 4 per leg
Bench - 180lbs
80%

Today Day 2...conditioning:

kb swings x 100
5 x 100m sprints

Day 3...strength:

Pistols - 4 per leg
Bench - 180lbs
80%

Had a lot of leftover energy and time after my workout,so did some more:

heavy two handed kb swings x 150 (32kg)
50 burpees

Day 1....Strength today:

Pistols - 4 per leg
Bench - 200lbs

90%

So this'll be my last week on this template....I'll finish it up and retest, and then I'm switching back to Fighter template. THere's a huge improvement in my pistols.....I'm pretty sure I've doubled my max and that's being conservative. We'll see on test day.
I'll be going back to squats though in my next template...miss my squats.

Going back to training regularly at my boxing gym next week, so I'll be doing more of that stuff...good time to get back on fighter template/2 days-week lifting.

Yesterday...conditioning:

100 skip rope
10 burpees
10 push-ups
10 airsquats

Today...Day 3 Strength:

Pistols - 4 per leg
Bench - 200lbs
90%

Yesterday...Day 5...Strength:

Pistols - 4 per leg
Bench - 200lbs
90%

Today .... Day 6...Cardio/Conditioning:

20 minute interval run (treadmill) 1 min fast + 1 min slow

So just finished up a 9 week phase of tactical barbell/Gladiator template. It's a 3 x week lifting template, with higher volume(in terms of weekly sets). Before this I ran the TB Fighter template and had awesome results....even though it was only twice/week of lifting.

I'm heading back to my boxing gym to train this week....so my training focus is going to change big time. For starters, I'll be switching back to the 2xweek Fighter template....so I can spend the bulk of my time working boxing skills & conditioning. I'm very much sold on twice/week lifting being the ideal balance for a fighter.

This morning I retested my 1RMs.....need new maximums when I switch from this gladiator template back to Fighter.

Start of 9 week 'Gladiator' phase:

Pistol squats - 5 per leg strict form
Bench - 215lbs
Weighted pullups - 70lbs x 1

Today (after 9 wks):

Pistols - 18 (!) per leg strict
Bench - 235 (new best)
Weighted pullups - 70lbs x 3 (did 4 but the 4th was kinda ugly)

Great results...but I have to add that gladiator had a little too much volume for me. If I didn't box it would be a great template....but I think I'll be sticking to Fighter.

So I'm still trying to pick out a cluster for my next TB phase, debating between these:

Pistols
Deadlifts
Bench
bodyweight pullups

or

Squats
Bench
Weighted pull-ups

or

Deadlifts
Squat
one arm push-ups

I'll be keeping the phases 12 weeks long before re-test....and will be able to switch clusters at that time as well...so I'll only be stuck with my chosen cluster for 12 weeks at the most. Once I figure out my cluster...I'll head back into the gym in the next couple days and test 1rms for any new exercises.

I've been back at my boxing gym fulltime as of last month....so been a little neglectful of my log. My training's changed up quite a bit so I'll be starting a new chapter here to reflect the change in direction.

I'll continue doing the boxing/conditioning/skills training thing 3-4 times a week....and I'll be lifting twice a week.

For my lifting I'll continue with what's worked best for me so far....Tactical Barbell Fighter template. Fighter template is twice a week of lifting with a Bulgarian(?) or maybe German style periodization progression. You pick a "cluster" or set of exercises and plug them in and off you go.

For the past month I've been using the following cluster:

Squat (yeah yeah, fuck off)
OHP
Weighted Pull-ups
+
higher rep/light kb swings for posterior chain and light cardio/conditioning.

Just finished up a deload...so I'll be retesting 1rms in a day or two and will post up the results.

Did a little roadwork today to usher in the new year:

5 mile run + 25 push-ups/25 crunches/10 burpees every 5-7 minutes

New max's for my next 12 week tactical barbell phase:

Squats 275
Bench 235
weighted pull-ups 75lbs(using the bw calculation option from TB, so training max is 225. BW will be counted as 150lbs).

I'll be continuing with the Fighter template. 2 days/week lifting.
Cardio will come from 3-4 times/week boxing, plus a few short cardio sessions during the week as time and energy permit.

Tomorrow will be the official start.

Today:
Boxing 45 minutes (pad work/heavy bag/no rings today)
Roadwork - 3 miles LSS

Back