Infinite Intensity - Tactical Barbell 50 Day

vrain

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
First off thanks to Genghis for giving me this idea...was his idea to combine Ross's program with tactical barbell...so here goes;

Me:

5ft9
180-185..maybe 190 at times

I box....but had to lay off last year because of injury...planning on getting back into it in the fall...what better way to get myself sorted out than to do a little work up training. Diets good..I'm pretty lean, and no issues/injuries right now.

The Plan:

First off, I did the 50 day II program a couple years ago...kicked my ass but when I was done I've never been better conditioned...but not gonna lie I missed my squats and deadlifts. For those that aren't familiar, Ross Enamait is a boxing trainer and a MACHINE...his programs are aimed at conditioning and strengthening combat athletes.

I'll be doing Ross's 6 day II split with two strength workouts...like this;

Day 1 - Strength (tactical barbell)
Day 2 - GPP/Core
Day 3 - Warrior Training
Day 4 - Interval trg/core
Day 5 - Strength (tac barbell)
Day 6 - Rest

I've never done tac barbell...this'll be my first run with the program...I'll be using the two day a week fighter template...with a standard cluster. My cluster will have the following....;

Weighted pull-ups, Squats, Bench

For those not familiar....Tac barbell looks like good stuff...it's supposed to be functional barbell training for special forces and swat...but from what I can see it's perfect for athletes and fighters particularly...if I had to sum it up it would be SS for the military folk with eastern block style periodization...was very tempted to try out one of the three day templates...but decided to stay the course with II & Fighter two day temp.

Food:
No change. Lots of red meat, beef...chicken breast...tuna. Moderate carbs. Brown rice, potatoes, veggies maybe quinoa once in a while.

Supps:
Going to give citrulline malate a try...and may add in beta alanine down the road. First gotta see what the cm does. Also sticking with with my baseline supps of creatine mono, whey, and caffeine tablets preworkout.

Will test my max's for tac barbell tomorrow, and then I have a few commitments for a couple days after...so won't start the program till later in the week..

Out.

Last edited:
Did my max testing today for TB....I won't be starting my actual program for a couple days...have to clear a few social commitments coming up...and then it's head down and go.

Tested according to the tb protocols, and here are my results...:

Squats 230
Bench 195
Weighted Pull-ups 35

Lots of room for improvement lol...

I've never done such an abbreviated program...interested to see the outcome. I'll get lots of assistance work from II suppose...still have a lot of leftover ideas from my old bodybuilding 'bi's,tri's, and chest from all angles' workouts.

In the book the author talks about minimalist programs and uses Allison Felix as an example. Supposedly Felix was a highschool student who beat Marion Jones' Olympic sprint records at the age of 18....and deadlifted 300lbs at 100lbs of body weight!!.....

I am emasculated...

Felix's weight program was just deadlifts and bench, low rep stuff.
Makes sense...SS and SL and all that use similar principles.
I'm afraid to test my deadlift now lol.

...see you in a few days, when I'll start with Day 1/Week 1

All the best, Ross Enamait is a beast, I'm a very big fan of his!

Good luck with my stolen idea! Just kidding man. I'll be checking out your progress.

I was really tempted to go with one of the clusters with the weighted pull-ups like you, or even muscle-ups. I might sub it in for my deadlift after I finish my first phase and retest. In the distant future I might also try a minimalist cluster with the Operator template - looks like it would be a killer set up with fight training. Ah, here I go again trying to fix what ain't broke! Gotta stay focused! Oh well, I have lots of strength training material to play with in the days to come.

Also, do the zinc as recommended in the program. I think it's making a difference in my energy, recovery and shit. I'm not big on supps, but it's doing the trick. Used to be after muay thai my libido and energy would drop the next day, now I'm at full mast if you know what I mean.

Good luck.

G

Good luck with my stolen idea! Just kidding man. I'll be checking out your progress.

I was really tempted to go with one of the clusters with the weighted pull-ups like you, or even muscle-ups. I might sub it in for my deadlift after I finish my first phase and retest. In the distant future I might also try a minimalist cluster with the Operator template - looks like it would be a killer set up with fight training. Ah, here I go again trying to fix what ain't broke! Gotta stay focused! Oh well, I have lots of strength training material to play with in the days to come.

Also, do the zinc as recommended in the program. I think it's making a difference in my energy, recovery and shit. I'm not big on supps, but it's doing the trick. Used to be after muay thai my libido and energy would drop the next day, now I'm at full mast if you know what I mean.

Good luck.

G

thanks lol...I'm definitely going to do the 'Grey Man' template after this...haven't decided whether to do it with a standard or heavy cluster yet though.

Day 1 - Tactical Barbell (strength session)

squats 170
bench 145
weighted pullups 25

Today's the official start of my log...finished workout number one this morning...the strength session. Light week at 75% rm.
Easy workout, could've blasted through it....ok that's a lie...the pullups took a little effort...but I've never trained weighted pullups before. Could've gone thru it a lot quicker overall but stuck to the prescribed rest times....book is very adamant about that lol.

First day on the citrulline malate too btw. Not expecting magic beans or anything...but curious to see any effect....especially when I hit the rosstraining anaerobic work.

Tomorrow.....day 2...GPP#1.

Day 2....from Ross's Infinite Intensity. GPP and core session number one.....:

burpees x 30 secs
jumping jacks x 30 secs
high knee dumbbell press x 30 secs
shadow box x 30 secs

5 Circuits...no rest in between circuits. As with all of Ross's workouts...they seem deceptively easy on paper...until you hit the gym and get started.

I definitely have a ways to go...managed to finish 3 circuits before taking a two minute break. Then finished the last two up. Took 5 mins....and then finished up with Core session #1. Worked up a helluva sweat.

Started taking 3gms citrulline malate a few days ago...not noticing anything yet. Took my usual 100mg caffeine tablet preworkout....and postworkout shake with creatine, protein and carb powder...

Out.

Finished the Ross Warrior Workout this morning.....:

Magic 50
5 snatches/5 swings / 10 burpees/ rest and repeat x 5 circuits

This is a killer, and one of my favorite...only I do it with a kettlebell. Ross doesn't really get into the kbs too much...but I feel like kbs make this workout even better. Dumbbells are just too clumsy in comparison. Try it.

Had to rest a little longer than allowed after the 3rd circuit....and this workout reminded me how much I love to hate burpees...

Day 4 - Intervals + Core (II)

4 x 800m
4 x 50m

Ok...I didn't kill myself on the 800s...trying to ease myself into it. Hit the 50s pretty hard tho.

Second and last strength session of the week...tactical barbell/light week 75%:

squats 170
bench 145
weighted pullups 25

Was still a little sore after the warrior workout and the sprints...but no probs.

Rest day tomorrow....week 1 done.

Day 1...Strength...tactical barbell 80%:

Squats 185
Bench 155
Weighted Pull-ups 28

Out.

Did GPP 2 this morning....Infinite Intensity:

Burpees x 30secs
Jumping jax
Split jumps
burpees
jumping jax
mountain climbers
30 secs rest

5 rounds

Phuk! This one kicked the shit out of me. Damn burpees! On a side note I got the gymboss interval timer app for my phone...probably the most useful app I have.
Also found out last night that the best fighter at my gym's been using tac barbell for his strength work...I put him on to combining it with II and he's excited to give it a whirl. I'm looking forward to getting back to boxing in the fall...that's what's keeping me motivated.

Out

Today was Warrior Wkout # 2.....Work Capacity 101:

pull-ups 5
med ball slams 10
burpees 15
jumping jax 20

Finished up this morning....and I'm still sweating. Had to take short breaks every 3-4 mins or so....

Track day......

6 x 400
5 x 50

Had to skip core...other commitments and ran out of time.

Strength.....80%

Squats 185
Bench 155
Weighted Pull-ups 28

Two weeks down....Start week 3 tomorrow.

Going to add beta-alanine starting tomorrow...I'll dose it with my post workout creatine and carbs.

Out.

Looking good man. BA is the shit. You'll probably like it better than the citrulline. Give it a week or two to kick in though.

G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back