In stand-up comedy, which topics are taboo for you?

Jokes are jokes and I don't take them to heart, but I've always thought little people jokes were cheap laughs.

I can deal with any type of comedy if its done well, because I have thick skin and I can usually see how jokes that may cross the line can appeal to some if its actually well thought out and/or funny.

When a comic talks about kids with disabilities it usually gets me though if they are making fun of them. If they are lightly glossing over a disability I can deal, but outright picking on or making fun of kids that can't help the hand they were dealt isnt cool.

I pissed a girl at work off with a domestic violence joke. We had a horrible day at work, and I said "days like this make we want to go home and punch my wife". I get the "thats very offensive to me, because i am a hardcore feminist" deal.

Sure, she was probably involved in a few beatings and might have taken that personally, but we all knew I wasnt gonna go home and do it....

So how do the South Park episodes affect you when they make fun of the Special Olympics.

Also on the topic of domestic violence. There was a thread recently where some guy joked that he was going to beat his wife and some poster got super butthurt. It was pretty funny. Maybe the poster was actually the same girl from your work.

A father and son walk into the woods and the son asks

"If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear did it really make a sound?"

The father responds

"I don't know. If a rape occurs in the forest and nobody is left alive to report it did the rape really occur?"

The son responds

"This is why I don't like camping with you."

So how do the South Park episodes affect you when they make fun of the Special Olympics.

Also on the topic of domestic violence. There was a thread where some guy joked that he was going to beat his wife and some poster got super butthurt. It was pretty funny. Maybe the poster was actually the same girl from your work.

I dont get offended really. Watched those episodes, saw the actual funny in most things they did, felt bad laughing at some of it.

I dont have all those built in pussy feelings that get hurt when people talk.....

"If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear did it really make a sound?"

The father responds

"I don't know. If a rape occurs in the forest and nobody is left alive to report it did the rape really occur?"

The son responds

see that's funny. it has a set up and a delivery and nowhere does anyone say "I want to fuck that baby". There was effort involved.

A 10 year old and a pedophile walk into the woods.

The kid says "I'm scared of the dark."

The pedo replies "You're scared? I'm the one that has to walk out of here alone."

The father responds

The son responds

giphy.gif

Bill and Conan disagree

Let me rephrase. When standup jokes are centered around them and poke fun at them. That's when, to me, it's trying to get a cheap laugh. Bill used it as a tool and said midget. That's not really poking fun at them.

A 10 year old and a pedophile walk into the woods.

The kid says "I'm scared of the dark."

The pedo replies "You're scared? I'm the one that has to walk out of here alone."

This isn't bad, but its a far stretch from "fuck that baby" being repeated over and over again.

I am all for tasteless jokes, the only issue I have is when they are bad tasteless jokes.

Shock value jokes typically substitute actual comedy for the shock itself, and tend to be pretty lazy.

any topic can be made funny

but i am exponentially more impressed when a comedian can be funny without being vulgar. The fastest way for a comedian to lose me, is when they just yell vulgar shit for shock value, its such a cheap tactic that requires no creativity or thought.

just because vulgar edgy things are allowed in comedy doesnt mean they have to be the focus

thats why IMO Seinfeld is GOAT and i love cosby's specials

Any topic can be made funny if delivered correctly.

But a lot of comedians will just say shit to be vulgar. That's not comedy, it's bullshit.

Back