In stand-up comedy, which topics are taboo for you?

People who typically can't defend themselves, like mentally handicapped people. But I did hear a funny comedian talking about drinking with his mentally handicapped cousin who got more "normal" The more he drank. The whole skit was pretty funny.

I only find a topic too far if the comedian fails to make it funny.

Bill Maher or Jon Stewart for example can say shit I disagree with but still make it funny...some comedians, like modern day Chris Rock just sounds like he's ranting and raving about things I disagree with.

Probably oranges. You can make a joke about any other fruit, but not oranges... really insensitive.

Nothing really. I don't even mind racism as long as it's not just straight up hateful.

I did the same thing, nearly. Something like "even if the wife's happy now she won't be when I get home" or something like that. Another time at a coffee spot this lady next to me said "oh you like your coffee black huh?" and I replied "yep, I like my coffee like I like my women, dead in the crawlspace". She did NOT think that was funny. Horrified look. HORRIFIED. And justifiably so.

Know your audience gents.

I'm at a coffee shop now. Had to stifle a hearty laugh when I read that, haha.

I dont believe in joke boundaries.

Although the double standards piss me off, EVERY black comedian makes fun of white people, but a white guy making jokes about black people could end his career and permanently label him as racist...
Look, this is basically the same bullshit I was talking about earlier, only I used Muslims in my example. Nobody likes a bully. And if you are a white comic, making fun of black people, you are basically being a bully. Black people are underdogs in most countries due to the socioeconomic effects of hundreds of years of oppression. You wouldn't make fun of a paraplegic. And that's because it just wouldn't be funny. It would be mean. That is why comics don't go after minority groups as often as they do white people. We're on top. We are fair game.

But saying that black people don't get made fun of at all is bullshit too. Comics do make fun of them. But they keep it light because it wouldn't be funny to talk shit about how black people are poor or whatever.

^^^
Twist at the end. Level: Shyamalan

Back