In stand-up comedy, which topics are taboo for you?

Horse Style

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So I'm watching a short segment of one of Bill Burr's special,

and after I'm done laughing and my sides stop hurting, I go "heh, he's joking about domestic violence".

Now certain people probably lose their shit if they hear someone is joking about domestic violence and won't even attempt to listen to the bit to see if it's funny or not.

They probably feel the comic finds domestic violence funny and that it's hilarious that women/men are abused by their partners. In reality, Bill here is making light of what is pretty much an exaggeration.

Anyway, what topics, if any, do you think are off-limit for comedy? Also, don't be shy. Post some clips of funny stand-up bits dealing with controversial topics. We're all here to laugh.

Tosh made a comment about fucking a baby in one of his specials. I didn't know I had a taboo until then, really.

Nothing. The only one that has bothered me was the Schumer/Dunn comment. But the reason is it wasn't even funny and it was coming from a cow.

I don't know if anything should be off-limits as far as comedy goes, if it's done right, but i'll admit i don't like when certain national tragedies get made light of, such as 9/11 or the Boston Marathon bombing. I'll admit i'm a hypocrite because i've laughed at comedians making jokes about other tragedies. It depends how it's done.

Nothing. The only one that has bothered me was the Schumer/Dunn comment. But the reason is it wasn't even funny and it was coming from a cow.

Bitch definitely won't be invited to the roast of Mark Hamill or Harrison Ford.

I don't know if anything should be off-limits as far as comedy goes, if it's done right, but i'll admit i don't like when certain national tragedies get made light of, such as 9/11 or the Boston Marathon bombing. I'll admit i'm a hypocrite because i've laughed at comedians making jokes about other tragedies. It depends how it's done.

I don't think anything should be off limits. We're free to express after all.

I can deal with any type of comedy if its done well, because I have thick skin and I can usually see how jokes that may cross the line can appeal to some if its actually well thought out and/or funny.

When a comic talks about kids with disabilities it usually gets me though if they are making fun of them. If they are lightly glossing over a disability I can deal, but outright picking on or making fun of kids that can't help the hand they were dealt isnt cool.

I pissed a girl at work off with a domestic violence joke. We had a horrible day at work, and I said "days like this make we want to go home and punch my wife". I get the "thats very offensive to me, because i am a hardcore feminist" deal.

Sure, she was probably involved in a few beatings and might have taken that personally, but we all knew I wasnt gonna go home and do it....

none, so far.

9/11 jokes rustle the ol' jimmies at times, but I understand comedy & know fully well everything known to man is fair game.

I don't think anything should be off limits. We're free to express after all.
Yeah, that's basically what i was trying to say, though i didn't word it too well when i just re-read it.

"days like this make we want to go home and punch my wife"

I did the same thing, nearly. Something like "even if the wife's happy now she won't be when I get home" or something like that. Another time at a coffee spot this lady next to me said "oh you like your coffee black huh?" and I replied "yep, I like my coffee like I like my women, dead in the crawlspace". She did NOT think that was funny. Horrified look. HORRIFIED. And justifiably so.

Know your audience gents.

I pissed a girl at work off with a domestic violence joke. We had a horrible day at work, and I said "days like this make we want to go home and punch my wife". I get the "thats very offensive to me, because i am a hardcore feminist" deal.

I'd be offended at how little work you put into that line. Get creative with your jokes and delivery, maybe add a little slapstick to the punchline.

I love crowd work sets. it's comedy on the fly. improvising by using the crowd itself for material.

this is my all time favorite. Chris kills it by closing strong.

none, so far.

9/11 jokes rustle the ol' jimmies at times, but I understand comedy & know fully well everything known to man is fair game.

IMG

Back