In stand-up comedy, which topics are taboo for you?

You can be forgiven of just about anything in comedy as long as it's funny. But you don't know where the line is until you cross it.

Nothing should be. If you don't like it you don't have to listen to it or support the comedian in the future. If you give that inch though about making topics taboo then it becomes a free for all to insert what they want to make taboo..because God knows we love to be offended and outraged as a society

There are some topics I don't like hearing jokes on but what bothers me more than anything is "comedians" using taboo topics as shock value. That just shows a lack of creativity.

*cough*amyschumerdanieltosh*cough*

I've a pretty open mind in regards to comedy. Something's either funny or it isn't.

I dont think I've ever been triggered by a joke, some just suck. I love comedy, so if you have trigger inducing comedy, please post YT clips

None - if it's comedy, I take it all as a joke and I don't get offended at all.

Nothing. Although I'm sure someone who will not be named will come in here to grind his axe that comedians are afraid of talking about Islam, even though I son'd him in another thread and proved that wasn't true.

As far as I'm concerned everything is fair game. Irreverent humor is my favorite kind.

Pedophilia, disabled people, the holocaust, people that are already downtrodden.

It's not that I want free speech to be censored but I rarely, if ever find jokes about the above mentioned topics funny.

I think there's a line in how you joke about a subject compared to just making a joke about a subject.

If I can sense some real hatred within the joke, I probably won't find it funny. But if it's delivered properly, I can find humor in anything.

Also if a comic is delving too deep into a taboo subject and dragging it on for too long any initial humor will probably eventually become off putting.

I try to live by this philosophy: if you can't laugh at everything, you shouldn't laugh at anything. Eventually some comedian will get around to making fun of whatever race, religion, sexuality, demographic, social group, etc. that you belong to.

Nothing. Although I'm sure someone who will not be named will come in here to grind his axe that comedians are afraid of talking about Islam, even though I son'd him in another thread and proved that wasn't true.

who I want to know

159304.jpg

Its comedy man. If you can make it funny I dont really find anything out of bounds.

Also like Burr talks about its bullshit to laugh at everyone and everything else then freak out when it comes to something that hits home for you.

If its alright to joke about snapping and running everyone over with your car its probably alright to joke about domestic violence too.

Joking about Islam is the only taboo subject in comedy nowadays.

Big comics like Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Carr make jokes about paedophilia, abortion etc.
Nothing is taboo apart from joking about Islam.

There's hundreds of subjects that might be a touchy subject for someone in the audience, but people who listen to comedy have to expect that.

Nah any topic can be funny. Some people think you shouldn't joke about any topic that effects them personally.

Pretty entitled attitude. Everything effects someone out there personally.

Humor is how we cope with tragedy. Hell I've joked about all kinds of improbable terrible things that have happened to me.

There should be no taboo in comedy. It's fine, not to enjoy a joke, or find it in poor taste, but if one joke is not okay, none of them are.

Personally, there aren't really many topics I can't get a laugh out of, so long as the joke is good.

I dont believe in joke boundaries.

Although the double standards piss me off, EVERY black comedian makes fun of white people, but a white guy making jokes about black people could end his career and permanently label him as racist...

Back