In stand-up comedy, which topics are taboo for you?

When it's an unexpected punchline i.e. shock humour

"whats the best thing about sleeping with twenty one year olds? There's twenty of them!"

There are dirty jokes you get out of a book and there is stand-up. Two different worlds.

Tosh made a comment about fucking a baby in one of his specials. I didn't know I had a taboo until then, really.

tosh depends way too heavily on shock value. its the majority of his jokes, is just saying obscene shit for a reaction

makes me sad because i really liked his pre-fame standup that he did before he got his show. im not trying to be a hipster about it, he completely changed his act.

tosh depends way too heavily on shock value. its the majority of his jokes, is just saying obscene shit for a reaction

makes me sad because i really liked his pre-fame standup that he did before he got his show. im not trying to be a hipster about it, he completely changed his act.

I agree. I enjoyed his show the first couple seasons also. I think he undervalued being clever in favor of edge and began to fall short.

If told by my uncle, but not if it was told by a real comedian.

Considering his level of success...

Hey personally I don't find Seinfeld funny but I'm not going to say the guy can't tell a joke.

Tosh has had success (including that joke and jokes like it) for well over a decade and a popular sketch show.

I have no taboo topics in comedy. I might not find a joke funny, but no subject matter is off-limits, and I don't even try to tell someone that a joke is in bad taste, as it is only my opinion, and I do not wish to push my particular brand of humor on anyone.

Nothing in thoery. Context and intent are everything.

This plus delivery, timing and audience.

Really nothing should be off limits, however, there are rules to making the material funny, everything else is in bad taste, or trolling, and even that has its place.

Comedy is an art form, and sometimes we won't like what is reflected back to us. I'm ok with that. It can't be more vile, and vulgar than what we humans do to each other in the real world. Some comedians are more about the social commentary and pointing out the hypocrisy and insanity of being human. Comedy can give us an avenue to touch down on the worst of our nature and have a cathartic laugh while safely confronting the pain of it all.

Quote;

A good joke should fill your mind with wonder, your heart with joy, and your ass with gerbils. ~ unknown

Considering his level of success...

Hey personally I don't find Seinfeld funny but I'm not going to say the guy can't tell a joke.

Tosh has had success (including that joke and jokes like it) for well over a decade and a popular sketch show.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Add Carrot Top, Gallagher, and Dane Cook to the list of comedians who have made money.
There is no accounting for taste, but I've never thought Tosh or the above comedians were in the least bit funny.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Add Carrot Top, Gallagher, and Dane Cook to the list of comedians who have made money.
There is no accounting for taste, but I've never thought Tosh or the above comedians were in the least bit funny.

I found all 3 of those guys to be funny.

They aren't my favorites and their shtick faded but anyone who tells me they never laughed at those 3 gets the side eye glare from me... (sure.... you didn't like them....)

They aren't my favorites and their shtick faded but anyone who tells me they never laughed at those 3 gets the side eye glare from me... (sure.... you didn't like them....)

shhh
qzmwwkV.gif

Dane Cook had the potential to be one of the best but he didn't know when his own jokes were done. Just kept talking.

We're pretty much cool so long as you don't make fun of my dick

Nothing. It's just people trying to crack a smile.

If it's funny, I'll laugh. If it's not, I won't. Simple as that.

I've never once been offended by a stand-up comedian. Well, maybe by Jeff Dunham because that guy is so painfully unfunny that I don't get why he was successful.

None of that pedo shit. Other than that have at it

What makes jokes about pedophilia any worse than joking about the Holocaust?

Funny is funny, whether the joke involves BBQ'd Hebrews or the atrocities at Neverland Ranch.

What makes jokes about pedophilia any worse than joking about the Holocaust?

Funny is funny, whether the joke involves BBQ'd Hebrews or the atrocities at Neverland Ranch.

Because I have kids of my own, and I've dealt with many cases involving child abuse so I don't find it funny. It's just my .02.

Back