In court filing, UFC doubles down to keep fighter salaries a secret

What "stuff"?

Can you name one state?

Are you talking about athletes salaries?

states like nv and cal. or another that has the fighter pay posted.

that how people know cm punk made 500k and conor made 3 million.

states like nv and cal. or another that has the fighter pay posted.

that how people know cm punk made 500k and conor made 3 million.

Looks like you're talking about declared purse by specific athletic commissions. Maybe one in a hundred Sherdog members understands exactly what that means.

That amount is an amount declared by the UFC and confirmed by the fighter, which is then held in bond by the commission to ensure the fighter actually gets paid. There have been quite a few shady promotions that didn't end up paying their fighters.

That number is not necessarily what the fighter is getting paid. It's what the fighter agreed to declare to the commission. As there is no chance The UFC is going to fail to pay a fighter, the money isn't at risk and the fighter might not want everyone knowing his purse. While it's possible any given number might be a hundred percent accurate, there's no way to know for certain, and historically we know it's been WAY under many times. The only thing we know for certain is that the fighter got paid AT LEAST that amount.

Every time they release the purses for a card, the same people freak out, even though they have no idea if the numbers are accurate.

Further, the promotion’s chief legal officer claims the documents would fundamentally alter the contract negotiation process, making the UFC’s business “unmanageable.”

Translation: The documents would make it fundamentally difficult for the UFC to give out shitty contracts to fighters.

That’s pretty much SOP for all businesses. You aren’t supposed to talk about salaries.

Translation: The documents would make it fundamentally difficult for the UFC to give out shitty contracts to fighters.

No. It means you have to think twice about rewarding performance because what you award will be held as a benchmark by every other fighter.

If anything it's an opportunity to pay less in order to be "fair" and equal to fighters on the same tier.

GSP, Cowboy, Cain, TJ all tried a Union affiliation & UFC didn't act negative toward them.
And yet not long after, GSP got a new deal, and White was acting more like Dillashaw's manager than the President of the UFC when he started that smear campaign against DJ trying to pressure him into fighting the non-champion Dillashaw; perception-wise, it looks more like the UFC promised the aforementioned fighters some favors if they dropped the union talk.

Looks like you're talking about declared purse by specific athletic commissions. Maybe one in a hundred Sherdog members understands exactly what that means.

That amount is an amount declared by the UFC and confirmed by the fighter, which is then held in bond by the commission to ensure the fighter actually gets paid. There have been quite a few shady promotions that didn't end up paying their fighters.

That number is not necessarily what the fighter is getting paid. It's what the fighter agreed to declare to the commission. As there is no chance The UFC is going to fail to pay a fighter, the money isn't at risk and the fighter might not want everyone knowing his purse. While it's possible any given number might be a hundred percent accurate, there's no way to know for certain, and historically we know it's been WAY under many times. The only thing we know for certain is that the fighter got paid AT LEAST that amount.

Every time they release the purses for a card, the same people freak out, even though they have no idea if the numbers are accurate.

duh. yes what is made public is the fighters show and win money. it never known what a fighter gets from ppv points and gates amount. that why it rumored that conor makes 20-30 mill a fight.

nothing wrong with that, ufc protecting what's theirs. just remove USADA and we're fine

no I like a clean sport let jon jones stay under that rock he hiding under with his phone to tweet with.

duh. yes what is made public is the fighters show and win money. it never known what a fighter gets from ppv points and gates amount. that why it rumored that conor makes 20-30 mill a fight.

That's not what I said. I said the amounts were largely arbitrary.

And it's not "duh", virtually no one on Sherdog understands the declarations.

Why do you think the UFC is resisting publication of salary information?

Reem signed a new deal after that JDS fight that was his 750k start.

Hunt signed his deal for 700k/750k/800k etc because of the Brock fight.. they said fight Brock no PPV share but here a sweet contract for you.. at least they drag it out like this and keep him happy. Imagine having them pay a few millions to him with a default PPV share for his big UFC 200 main event. (was close to being that but Brock wanted more so they left it the so called co-main)

Yep, you're right...

Well, we can say in their defense that Cain being unable to fill the contract , fight-wise, in 5 years is a bit ridiculous and does not necessarily deserve a reward.

are u going to publicly disclose your salary?

Yeah, why not. I mean in real life, for people who know who I am, if they ask.
The company I work in does not allow the conversations between colleagues about the salary. However, I accidentally found out about a salary of a person who is on the same hierarchy level as me, and used it to negotiate the better salary for me - literally the day after I found out. I couldn't mention it, but I knew their abilities and intentions.
I can even reveal bonuses that I got from them.

I see no issue in this, honestly. Whoever wants to use my salary as a leverage can be my guest. My salary will not be reduced as a result, it works only one way - up.

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but why did that whole union with Cerrone/Cain/TJ/GSP stop? I always figured UFC pulled them aside and said "here ya go...."

Have any of then gave a comment after they backed off so quickly?

A bit off topic, but why did that whole union with Cerrone/Cain/TJ/GSP stop? I always figured UFC pulled them aside and said "here ya go...."

Have any of then gave a comment after they backed off so quickly?

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/12...r-100k-phone-call-board-bjorn-rebney-mma-news

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/5/...-i-dont-know-if-i-was-led-down-the-wrong-path

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/...to-have-bjorn-rebney-as-mmaaa-public-presence

Back