"I'm having a tough time with my motivation." - Gustafsson

too bad Gustafsson feels this way... but man, you can't be relevant if you lose motivation after losing few matches.

Yes, it throws you back, but this is hard sport to compete... your mind has to be bulletproof to be a champion. I still believe he could be champ, and he could beat top 3 in rematches if he changes his approach... that's obviously what he needs to do in order to compete with them

Wait so he broke mentally but went 5 rounds with DC in the fight of 2015?

Wasn't Rumble the guy who got finished by DC?

Guess you didn't see the fight where Gus turned tail and ran from DC... over and over and over and over again.

If Johnson fought like that. he probably wouldn't have been finished.

That's never a good thing to hear out of a contender's mouth. This is a time in MMA where we have champs like RDA, Lawler, and Werdum that have had far longer and tougher roads to the title and are 30+.

Hopefully Gus sorts the mental aspect out. LHW needs all the depth it can take.

He is done. He broke mentally after the Rumble rape, and the DC mauling sealed the deal. He'll retire soon enough and start some MMA program for kids in trouble.

DC mauling? Gus won that fight.

Says the guy who constantly gets title shots after losing and whose most notable win is Jimi Manuwa. Lol

Save the tears, dude.

He has been on the other side of two of the hardest split decision losses I have seen. Both of came against great fighters. Those two losses could have gone either way. I thought he lost both, but you could have scored it for Gus. Even with his losses, I feel he is still top 5 easy.

Hell be back, I feel he can avenge all 3 of his losses....only one stylistically he matches up poorly against is AJ.

He is done. He broke mentally after the Rumble rape, and the DC mauling sealed the deal. He'll retire soon enough and start some MMA program for kids in trouble.
DC mauling? It was a fairly competitive fight. Rumble fight was rape though.

I think Gus has the tools to become the #1 but only if he finds the right camp and can stay motivated. He's got the perfect build for the division, don't have to be afraid of wrestlers and can outstrike most. The things stopping him is dumbass gameplans, his idiot Swedish coach and a more versatile stand up. Oh and he also needs to learn how to steer away from pressure fighters - both Rumble and DC were able to easily close the distance and catch Gus with bombs/clinch with him. I'm a pessimist and I don't think ATT can take Gus to the next level but hopefully his (temporary) move to San Diego and training with good fighters will give results and make him motivated. He has definitely reached the ceiling at All star and I don't understand why he doesn't see that.

Did he ever update his tattoo?

10463041_674335715979571_7853104693239036790_n_medium.jpg

If you're having trouble with motivation you're done, plain and simple. I'm surprised cause he's been SO close, but if motivation is an issue I don't see him ever capturing that title.

The guy accomplished so much already, it would obviously be hard to stay motivated.

Let's list his list of amazing accomplishments, just to show respect to one of the greatest light heavyweights from Sweden who got a title shot off a loss ever.

1. He beat manuwa.

Wow, with credentials and accolades like those, I think he's a lock for the hall of fame.

He knows he can't compete with the best.

Back