"I'm having a tough time with my motivation." - Gustafsson

Coffee79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"I'm just having a tough time with my motivations. Some days it's better, some days it's a little bit worse." explained Gustafsson. "I just tell my fans how it is and how it is to be a fighter on this level. That it's always tough with losses, 2015 was a tough year for me."

"So that's why I did that interview to tell them how I felt and how I feel. But, I feel better after I said it and now I'm in San Diego to change my environment a little bit. I'm feeling good," he added.

Admitting he needed to figure out what goes wrong in big fights after his defeat to Cormier, Gustafsson says quitting is not an option despite his roller coaster of emotions.

"I've been here before, it's hard to go from going one day being the best fighters in the world to stop doing what you love doing," he said. "I am a fighter and that's what I live for. Quitting is not an option if you put the cards on the table. It's just emotions, feelings, and thoughts that you battle everyday as an athlete."

His temporary move to San Diego to train at Alliance MMA, says Gus, is an attempt to find the happiness that training brings. After that, he'll look to get back into action, but only if it feels right.

"When I feel good in training, when I'm in peace and feel good in everything, we're going to look for a new challenge," declared "The Mauler," who insists he was not offered a Rashad Evans fight.

"Until then, I am just going to enjoy the training. I will fight in 2016. I just need a little bit of time to get on my feet and get my mind and motivation right. I just want to fight for the right reasons. You will see me fight this year," concluded Gustafsson.

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/2/9/10...will-return-once-motivation-mind-is-right-mma

My take - Gus is a paradox in some ways. He puts up his best fights against champs and not as well against lesser opponents. He's fun to watch. He just needs to avoid fighting athletic and explosive Americans and he will do fine.

PIkprkZ.gif

The dude has been in tough fights. fought jones and lost, wanted the rematch got beat down by rumble. Then lost a tough fight to DC. You cant really blame him for not being motivated.

He lost to #1 #2 #3
Not a good place to be, I understand him.

I don't blame him.

He got so close once and fell short, got his ass WHOOPED by Rumble, then got so close once again and fell short again.

What??..... Does he mean to tell us that those big Heebawk sponsorship dollars aren't motivation enough....smh

His problem is he keeps fighting the only 3 guys who are better than him.

Rashad is the only black american that Gus will ever beat.
Gus would tear him up at this point

He is done. He broke mentally after the Rumble rape, and the DC mauling sealed the deal. He'll retire soon enough and start some MMA program for kids in trouble.

The dude has been in tough fights. fought jones and lost, wanted the rematch got beat down by rumble. Then lost a tough fight to DC. You cant really blame him for not being motivated.
There's no shame in losing to those guys. They're the best there is at LHW.

Further proof the UFC doesn't know what the hell they're doing 95 percent of the time.

Gus needed to be built back up after losing to Rumble, getting crushed like that in front of 30k of your own people crushed him and the UFC threw him into another title fight when they had a more than deserving contender in Bader.

The PPV bombed and Gus lost, now what do you do with him? You have to build him back up but the guy's confidence is so shattered at this point he doesn't even know if he wants to keep fighting. UFC wanted a quick buck and it ruined Gus' career.

Last edited:
Time for a drastic weight cut to middleweight, no point in absorbing unnecessary bonks to the noggin from DC/Rumble/Jones

Gus needs to fight Lil' Nog to get his confidence back. No OSP, Glover or any other dangerous guy

Just a tough as hell schedule in a short time period combined with one big example of a mistake (relying on your iron chin to brawl against Rumble considering his crazy power). Hope the motivation issue resolves itself because he's obviously top tier and can win against any of the 3 guys he lost to.

Initially, I would say SD is a bad
place to move to if you're trying to
refocus yourself. Lots of fine
women,clubs & good burritos...

But then again, that's basically
my motivation for getting out of
bed everyday. All I know is that
I want to see gusto back in there.
LHW sucks & he's no doubt my
favorite fighter in the bracket.
This interview only confirms my
fondness of him. Dude is a real
mf'r. No embellishments. He's not
tryna be something that he's not..
No facades. The dudes honest...

He is done. He broke mentally after the Rumble rape, and the DC mauling sealed the deal. He'll retire soon enough and start some MMA program for kids in trouble.

Wait so he broke mentally but went 5 rounds with DC in the fight of 2015?

Wasn't Rumble the guy who got finished by DC?

Gus is gonna go down like Guy Mezger. A guy that's a great fighter and could have become champion had some close decisions gone against him, but in reality a guy who just lacks.. something, that 1% necessary to be not just elite, but a champion.

He's tall, rangy, got skills. But he's just not explosive.

Last edited:
Back