"I'm having a tough time with my motivation." - Gustafsson

"I'm just having a tough time with my motivations. Some days it's better, some days it's a little bit worse." explained Gustafsson. "I just tell my fans how it is and how it is to be a fighter on this level. That it's always tough with losses, 2015 was a tough year for me."

"So that's why I did that interview to tell them how I felt and how I feel. But, I feel better after I said it and now I'm in San Diego to change my environment a little bit. I'm feeling good," he added.

Admitting he needed to figure out what goes wrong in big fights after his defeat to Cormier, Gustafsson says quitting is not an option despite his roller coaster of emotions.

"I've been here before, it's hard to go from going one day being the best fighters in the world to stop doing what you love doing," he said. "I am a fighter and that's what I live for. Quitting is not an option if you put the cards on the table. It's just emotions, feelings, and thoughts that you battle everyday as an athlete."

His temporary move to San Diego to train at Alliance MMA, says Gus, is an attempt to find the happiness that training brings. After that, he'll look to get back into action, but only if it feels right.

"When I feel good in training, when I'm in peace and feel good in everything, we're going to look for a new challenge," declared "The Mauler," who insists he was not offered a Rashad Evans fight.

"Until then, I am just going to enjoy the training. I will fight in 2016. I just need a little bit of time to get on my feet and get my mind and motivation right. I just want to fight for the right reasons. You will see me fight this year," concluded Gustafsson.

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/2/9/10...will-return-once-motivation-mind-is-right-mma

My take - Gus is a paradox in some ways. He puts up his best fights against champs and not as well against lesser opponents. He's fun to watch. He just needs to avoid fighting athletic and explosive Americans and he will do fine.
Gus could really benefit from working with Ido Portal I feel. Also someone to help him improve his greco skills at like Team Quest or wherever Couture is these days, if he's still training on the regular.

Honesty of this caliber seems pretty rare in MMA.

I thought this would happen when they announced he'd be fighting Cormier after losing to Rumble. That was a shitty, shitty decision.

He is done. He broke mentally after the Rumble rape, and the DC mauling sealed the deal. He'll retire soon enough and start some MMA program for kids in trouble.
Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

Lol at DC mauling gus.
sGpFwmv.gif

YellowActiveHoneycreeper.gif

c16fc4dde910122083535343551e2100.gif

much less impressive when u realize hes the only fighter that fought both of them as well ...

Only fighter to EVER take jones down and the SECOND EVER to take DC down (after jones)

Is that ok?

All Gus really needs to do is work on GETTING A KICKING GAME WORTH ANYTHING! How is the tallest guy in the division such a lack of a threat when it comes to kicks? Has he ever thrown a headkick? Oblique kick? Cmon Gus get out of that Swedish camp forever they are stiffling your growth.

Lol must not fight explosive and athletic Americans, meaning don't fight black guys

Unless he spends all his money I guess he doesn't have to get motivated to fight. Dude might have Jesse Pinkman mad stacks.

Just a tough as hell schedule in a short time period combined with one big example of a mistake (relying on your iron chin to brawl against Rumble considering his crazy power). Hope the motivation issue resolves itself because he's obviously top tier and can win against any of the 3 guys he lost to.

He came out boxing and moving against Rumble, not with the intent to brawl.

he needs to just enjoy fighting and be okay being a gatekeeper. Very few are championship caliber, sometimes you just need to be content making a living doing what you enjoy and not having to work an 8-5

he needs to just enjoy fighting and be okay being a gatekeeper. Very few are championship caliber, sometimes you just need to be content making a living doing what you enjoy and not having to work an 8-5

Who the hell gets to work 8-5? Very few people. Try 7--7 or 7--9 for everyone I know lol

Pretty dumb statement since even if you think he loses those matchups those guys are significantly lesser opponents compared to his last three ones.
OSP will KO Gus, and Glover will wrestle and GnP him eventually submitting him

Yes, the one vital thing Gus is lacking is a man bun riverdancer in his team who can show him the secrets of the ancient arts
Bringing a new perspective to Martial Arts movements could reignite his motivation...Do you think Conor is wasting his time too?

I keep seeing responses of "he needs to stay away from explosive people" or "he need to fight someone else besides the top 3" if we need him to duck certian fighters he can call Werdum to learn this skill.

Back