If this Version of Tyson had entered UFC 1

People underestimate the power of effective grappling anymore. Everybody in the UFC is such an extremely high level defensive grappler that it becomes easy to think taking down somebody is difficult. Reality is, a guy whos never wrestled or trained grappling arts is gonna hit the ground so fast they won't know what happened. Sure, Mike could've caught him, but far more likely Royce got the fight to the ground in the safest way possible and strangled him.
For sure

But, out of anyone at the time..Tyson had the best chance of catching him coming in.

somebody watched the jre podcast with teddy atlas

I actually hate Teddy Atlas. I think the guy is a total loser. But I watched Tyson in his whole career. He never really showed heart.

Holyfield wins 10/10. Because he was one of the greatest warriors to ever step into the ring. He was never going to give up. And Tyson did..

I've known Tyson since he was an amateur & he's been a shade under six foot since he was about 15 years old. As evidenced by this photo of him & I side by side in 1986. I'm 5'8" & as you can see Mike is almost four inches taller than I am.
View attachment 504217
LOL! You know Mike Tyson and the best thing you can come up with is to use it to prove you are a manlet? Dayum man!

Probably should've chosen some better wording

It's clear that he played a big part In keeping him together as a man though, beyond just being his trainer.

Without a doubt, that was at least one of the factors that led to the downfall of his career.

Better wording? You had no clue when Cus died! You, like most people that don't actually watch Boxing, probably thought Cus died in the height of Tyson's career and Tyson was on a downward spiral after that. But thats not close to true. Tyson was at his best AFTER Cus died. It was 5 years and 25 fights after Cus's death that Tyson started acting like a train wreck.

Tyson wouldve ko’d royce easily.

it's very tough to say...royce, knowing tyson is a very good boxer, he would not engage at all on the feet...never getting within range...he'd probably try some low level takedowns...single legs..and since tyson isn't familiar with wrestling at all..I see him getting taken down rather easily...once down, it's all over.

Fuck the KO punch, he would have bit Royce's ear into submission.

Tyson is probably the most overrated sports combat athlete of all time. Especially with clueless MMA fans. The way Sherdog talks about him you would think he was Boxings GOAT, and not a guy who's best wins are an old Holmes coming out of retirement and LHW Spinks
Tyson was far from overrated, despite arguably not being an all time top 10 HW there is a reason he is still so highly regarded.

Tyson is a "what could have been" cautionary tale. His speed, explosiveness, power, footwork and headmovement were unpresidented for a HW when he had Cus to keep him in line and his knowledge of the game was amazing.

Unfortunately despite having the raw talent to have easily become an all time great once Cus was gone and King took over Tyson could no longer resist all the temptations and destractions outside the ring and keep the hunger and dedication it takes to keep training and working your ass off when you already have it all.

Tyson's story is a tragedy and an example to all that all the talent in the world will only get you so far if you don't have the focus and work ethic to back it up.

Tyson was a fucking animal in his time though, no heavyweight I've ever seen could move and hit like him, so much wasted potential.

Holyfield was jacked to his eyeballs on roids and it would have been a better fight in 91 before he went to prison. Once Tyson got rid of the original Team Tyson with Rooney, Lott, and basically after Jim died (who took him under his wing after Cus) he was never the same. His head movement, foot work and body shots became more obsolete and he became a head hunter. He still managed to put Douglass on the mat for 12 seconds after getting beat up for 7 rounds.

Tyson is probably the most overrated sports combat athlete of all time. Especially with clueless MMA fans. The way Sherdog talks about him you would think he was Boxings GOAT, and not a guy who's best wins are an old Holmes coming out of retirement and LHW Spinks

I agree completely...tyson had his strengths...definitely...he was very fast, on the inside..but on the outside, he struggled and was tied up and controlled easily...bone crusher smith, mitch blood green, tony tucker...while none of them beat tyson..they all shows that tyson can be controlled. they just didn't do enough offense to win...and this was all in his reputed "prime." while tyson hit very hard and was fast on the inside, he had some serious deficiencies...he was a known front runner...once he fought someone, that fought back hard, douglas, holyfield, he folded...from the outside, he could be picked apart, just like what douglas did to him...he had a short reach, and needed to be on the inside to be effective...and if he couldn't bully you, he lost..as he did twice against holyfield...

Holyfield was jacked to his eyeballs on roids and it would have been a better fight in 91 before he went to prison. Once Tyson got rid of the original Team Tyson with Rooney, Lott, and basically after Jim died (who took him under his wing after Cus) he was never the same. His head movement, foot work and body shots became more obsolete and he became a head hunter. He still managed to put Douglass on the mat for 12 seconds after getting beat up for 7 rounds.

you can make the excuses all you want..but even in his alleged prime, tyson was shown his weaknesses...as I pointed out...tyson at no point in his career would have ever beaten holyfield...and holyfield, wasn't even top 5 best of all time...he looked great against guys like berbick and picklon thomas..total bums of that era...

His speed, explosiveness, power, footwork and headmovement were unpresidented for a HW when he had Cus to keep him in line and his knowledge of the game was amazing.

Holy shit, you are like the 5th person to say this bullshit. Cus died in Tyson's first year as a pro. Cus was not alive during Tyson's run as HW champ or his run to the title. Its amazing how many people think Tyson's downfall started after Cus's death. Tyson went 25 fights and 5 years undefeated after Cus died

Better wording? You had no clue when Cus died! You, like most people that don't actually watch Boxing, probably thought Cus died in the height of Tyson's career and Tyson was on a downward spiral after that. But thats not close to true. Tyson was at his best AFTER Cus died. It was 5 years and 25 fights after Cus's death that Tyson started acting like a train wreck.
I know very well when Cus died.

It changes nothing about what I just said.

I've been boxing for 12+ years. I know enough

I don't think that Tyson was on a downward spiral after his death, but I think It was a critical point In his career and something that led him to some poor Influences and ultimately a stifling of his full potential.

It was one of the reasons why I think the best version of Tyson was so few and far between.

Holy shit, you are like the 5th person to say this bullshit. Cus died in Tyson's first year as a pro. Cus was not alive during Tyson's run as HW champ or his run to the title. Its amazing how many people think Tyson's downfall started after Cus's death. Tyson went 25 fights and 5 years undefeated after Cus died
I would say there's truth on both ends of the spectrum here.

I'll be honest tho, I legitimately thought he died in 87.

weird..

you can make the excuses all you want..but even in his alleged prime, tyson was shown his weaknesses...as I pointed out...tyson at no point in his career would have ever beaten holyfield...and holyfield, wasn't even top 5 best of all time...he looked great against guys like berbick and picklon thomas..total bums of that era...
Your entitled to think my facts are excuses and your opinion as facts but to think the version of Mike that fought Holyfield is the same Tyson that fought Berbick is hilarious.

I know very well when Cus died.

It changes nothing about what I just said.

I've been boxing for 12+ years. I know enough

I don't think that Tyson was on a downward spiral after his death, but I think It was a critical point In his career and something that led him to some poor Influences and ultimately a stifling of his full potential.

It was one of the reasons why I think the best version of Tyson was so few and far between.

You clearly didn't! Thats why you said "His form and ability to keep It together also slowly began to fade when Cus D'amato died". You can pull the old "i boxed for 12 years" shit to try get credibility, but you showed you don't know anything about Tyson

Your entitled to think my facts are excuses and your opinion as facts but to think the version of Mike that fought Holyfield is the same Tyson that fought Berbick is hilarious.

Berbick lol

You clearly didn't! Thats why you said "His form and ability to keep It together also slowly began to fade when Cus D'amato died". You can pull the old "i boxed for 12 years" shit to try get credibility, but you showed you don't know anything about Tyson
As I said, I should've chosen wording differently. I think my past few posts better articulated what I was actually trying to say.

No he was no goat but when he was young and pre Douglas he was one of the most ferocious,explosive fighters to walk the earth. He was a very flawed individual who destroyed his own career though.

a prime george foreman, would have beaten tyson like a cherokee drum...beaten just like joe frazier...which if anyone has ever seen that fight, it was one of the most brutal destructions ever seen in a ring...and this was a legit all time great, undefeated world champion, who just came off a win against ali...and foreman totally wrecked him. while some may say, "well, tyson was better than frazier" hell no he wasn't...frazier had an iron will and jaw...with great cardio...and was a ferocious fighter...while tyson did hit harder and was faster, he fought much like frazier did...always coming forward, with the bobbing head movement...foreman loved guys that fought like that...guys that came right to him...he licked his chops at guys that did that...even sonny liston would have ko'd tyson...

Back