If Maia beats Fitch he can beat GSP

Maia could win by magically no touch mentally induced muscle spasms (not a fluke because Maia did that on purpose)

Silva had that rear naked choke completely sunk in and Fitch just wouldn't die, in the end Erick's arms gassed and Fitch escaped.

Fitch is a survivor. WAR FITCH!
Exactly, which is why subbing him would be a big deal and could mean Maia has what it takes to do the same to GSP.
I don't see how the Fitch/GSP jump is made. Does this mean Hendricks will knock out GSP in 12 seconds?

Subbing Fitch seems much harder than KOing him.

A reverse example would be KOing Dan Henderson. If you can KO him, you can likely KO most fighters. Subbing him is a little easier I reckon(though its still very hard).

So... Before Story, Maia went 9 consecutive fights without getting a submission and you think Georges is in trouble despite the fact that his bjj is at an extremely high level and that he has probably the best takedown defense in the history of the sport ?

Yeah, good thinking.

In which of those fights was Maia outgrappled? He completely schooled a lot of those guys on the ground.

Even if he did get GSP to the ground, it's highly unlikely he'd submit Georges.

GSP bjj is really high level and Maia has 1 sub in his last 10 fights.

Maia could outgrapple GSP and win without submitting him.

Demian has rubbed me the wrong way after the DHK fight.

first of all he was celebrating like he KO'd jon jones/GSP at the same time after a brutal war.
and afterwards in every post fight interview he would talk bs about how he broke Kims ribs or something not once admitting it was kind of a fluke.

who was it that Maia was fighting when he set up a beautiful submission from the clinch against the cage and then slammmed on the submission straight away? It was before the Silva fight but i ca nthink who it was he subbed.

The only way is see Maia beating Fitch is by submission anyway, and if he does that, GSP is in trouble. GSP might try and do the same thing to Maia as he did to that annoying curly headed wrestler guy, but it could be harder and much more dangerous to grapple with. If he can sub Fitch.

GSP would light Maia up on the feet, especially with his jab

As we all have seen Fitch is one tough SOB to submit, but if someone can get it done that's Demian Maia.

As for a fight against GSP, unfortunately I see that one going the same way St.Pierre/Shields did.

I like Maia but can't really see the logic in OP's statement.

Seems to me that GSP can beat Maia on the feet relatively easily and most likely avoid the ground game pretty effectively. Fitch, however, bases most of his game around clinches and takedowns, grinding his opponents down with his grappling. Seems Maia would be more likely to beat Fitch than GSP, at least on paper.

There's two differences:

1) Maia-Fitch is 3 rounds so Maia is much more likely to be able to steal a decision before gassing out as opposed to a 5 round battle where he'd have little shot at doing so versus either Fitch or GSP. It's not submission or bust for Maia here. He's been in very close decisions with bigger grapplers like Weidman & Munoz before. I wouldn't discount Maia by decision here.

2) Fitch's TDD is a LOT worse than GSP's. Fitch was taken down multiple times by a bloated LW in BJ Penn. Now all due respect to BJ's elite skills but he wouldn't be able to take GSP down regardless of surprising strategy or not. Maia can clinch up with Fitch and take him down whereas GSP has superior strength and agility to avoid Maia's offensive wrestling. GSP would look to sprawl & brawl whereas Fitch looks to grind: one counters Maia's strategy, the other plays directly into it.

I think GSP would be Maia's toughest stylistic matchup since Anderson but he still has a shot. Anyone with relentless clinch TDs and the grappling skills of Maia has a shot to knockoff Georges... it's just slim IMO.

Stopped reading

The only advantage Fitch has is cardio. I expect s great fight, Im one of the few pre-silva Fitch fans but I'm rooting for Maia.

I like Maia but can't really see the logic in OP's statement.

Seems to me that GSP can beat Maia on the feet relatively easily and most likely avoid the ground game pretty effectively. Fitch, however, bases most of his game around clinches and takedowns, grinding his opponents down with his grappling. Seems Maia would be more likely to beat Fitch than GSP, at least on paper.

I agree. I said f he beats Fitch, he can beat GSP. There is a way. The main hurdle as pretty much everyone has pointed out, is closing the distance and getting hold of him. No small thing. But if he does then GSP is in trouble. If Maia can sub Fitch that is. Its a lot of 'ifs'.....but its a way.

Should be a good fight.

Georges striking turns to shit when his opponent doesn't fear the takedowns as we saw against Shields, and Maia is a much better striker than Shields so he should be able to get some rounds against him.

It's not like Maia subs everyone he grapples with. I could see him winning a D v Fitch and losing one to GSP.

The only way is see Maia beating Fitch is by submission anyway, and if he does that, GSP is in trouble. GSP might try and do the same thing to Maia as he did to that annoying curly headed wrestler guy, but it could be harder and much more dangerous to grapple with. If he can sub Fitch.

You are correct.

It is also true to say that if he beats Fitch he can lose to GSP, and if he loses to Fitch he can lose to GSP, and if he loses to Fitch he can beat GSP, and if he draws Fitch he can beat GSP, and if he draws Fitch he can lose to GSP, and if he draws Fitch he can draw GSP....

In other words, your statement, though potentially true, is entirely meaningless in the abstract.

Have a nice night.

who was it that Maia was fighting when he set up a beautiful submission from the clinch against the cage and then slammmed on the submission straight away? It was before the Silva fight but i ca nthink who it was he subbed.
Sonnen. Maia managed to trip him from the cage and got on top, and then he set up his triangle in a way that he gave Sonnen the chance to sweep, but by doing so he (Sonnen) positioned himself into the choke without noticing it before it was too late.

One of the most beautiful submissions I've seen in MMA. It was both so simple and complex at the same time.

Nope. And I like both fighters.

Maia has a decent chance against Fitch because Fitch's game is so grappling based. I still think Fitch will be too tough for Maia, unfortunately.

Back