If Maia beats Fitch he can beat GSP

yeah because GSP and Fitch have similar striking and TDD.

No way Maia takes GSP down, and GSP would tool Maia standing.

I know GSP's striking was not good vs Shields but I think it was more like a very bad day at work for GSP.

I think it's because GSP came a bit heavier than usual against Shields and it showed in his striking. He wasn't as fluid, fast and precise as he is normally and spammed too many predictable overight hands. And then there was the eye poke as well which didn't help.

He looked much better against Condit. No doubts in my mind that he would oustrike Maia.

GSP would wreck Maia in the stand up quite easily and use his wrestling and TDD to fight off any Maia TD attempt...dont see how Maia beating Fitch implies Maia beats GSP...that implies Fitch is some where near as good as GSP which hes clearly levels upon levels below him in every facet...GSP has far better stand up then both of those guys combined and if guys like Fitch, Koscheck, Hughes, Shields couldnt take GSP down or keep him there how the hell is Maia gonna do it? short answer, hes not...

Highly fucking doubt it..and i really like Damien as a fighter and a person

GSP would wreck Maia in the stand up quite easily and use his wrestling and TDD to fight off any Maia TD attempt...dont see how Maia beating Fitch implies Maia beats GSP...that implies Fitch is some where near as good as GSP which hes clearly levels upon levels below him in every facet...GSP has far better stand up then both of those guys combined and if guys like Fitch, Koscheck, Hughes, Shields couldnt take GSP down or keep him there how the hell is Maia gonna do it? short answer, hes not...

Pretty much

Fitch is good but as we saw in the Fitch vs GSP fight Georges is just better everywhere , especially on the feet which combined with great TDD is a good asset to have a against Maia.

No. GSP will keep the fight standing and maul Maia if they ever meet in the cage. His TDD is some of the best in the entire sport and his striking is as crisp as it has ever been.

Fitch doesn't get subbed.

Fitch didn't get KO'd either... then Hendricks came along. Fitch couldn't even beat BJ Penn, the same guy who got whupped on by Rory. Fitch is past tense in the UFC nowadays.

he won't sub Fitch and if he does it means nothing. Gsp will stop Maia's average takedowns and batter him standing.

Yeah, because all "average" takedown artists take down Chael Sonnen, Rick Story, DHK, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I think GSP would probably do to Maia what he did to Shields, but saying "average" is just selfish.

wtf? GSP will beat Maia standing by points. This will be like his fight against Kos or Shield, he will jab his way to victory.

Cant see Maia beating Fitch any way

Stopped reading

The only advantage Fitch has is cardio. I expect s great fight, Im one of the few pre-silva Fitch fans but I'm rooting for Maia.

I dont think he can take GSP down......he just doesnt have the takedown ability or the strength or athleticism to do it. It would be a standup fight and GSP would be too much.

If it did hit the ground, would get very interesting.

GSP is going to jab Maia in the face for 25mins, and we will get to read how boring GSP was, but how funny and awesome Anderson was.

Last edited:
Maia will be a huge threat to the WW division if he can get past Fitch. The only issue I see with him beating GSP is the jab. Maia should just do everything he can to get close to GSP and pull guard.

If Maia had Sonnen / GSP level takedowns he would be such a monster in addition to his excellent BJJ game. Unfortunately that is not the case, but who knows. We have not seen his striking at WW yet, maybe he has been really improving to close the distance.

WAR MAIA

I think he has a chance from the clinch too. Which leaves GSP on the outside jabbing. I think Maia could prove more tricky at that distance than curly whatsisface .... koscheck..... dont rate him...... but yea, maia has a real problem closing that distance in the first place.

I dont know if Maia can sub Fitch, but like i said, its a great acid test for his jedi BJJ... and a great fight

Agreed. It will be an awesome fight, I just hope they won't decide to "test" their striking during this bout.

Regarding a potential title fight, Maia could bait GSP by pulling guard if he can't somehow close the distance or get him to the cage.

I dont think he can take GSP down......he just doesnt have the takedown ability or the strength or athleticism to do it. It would be a standup fight and GSP would be too much.

If it did hit the ground, would get very interesting.

I think its a serious long shot but Anderson Silva's striking is much more frightening than GSP's and that certainly effected Maia's TDs. I think Maia could use his striking to close the gap on GSP to get in the clinch. From the clinch, as opposed to a single or double, I think Maia could get this to the ground. And, like you said, from there it would get very interesting.

I think its a serious long shot but Anderson Silva's striking is much more frightening than GSP's and that certainly effected Maia's TDs. I think Maia could use his striking to close the gap on GSP to get in the clinch. From the clinch, as opposed to a single or double, I think Maia could get this to the ground. And, like you said, from there it would get very interesting.

Is it as frightening as Weidman's?

It won't be about fear. Maia won't be quick or strong enough to get GSP down. GSP would be dancing around Maia, but throwing punches this time.

Fear wasn't what stopped Maia from getting the TD. He was running into Anderson face first in the later rounds.

If Demian Maia beats GSP, then set him up against Anderson for supper fight. The would be the funniest thing ever. Silva vs Mania II

Is it as frightening as Weidman's?

You won't be about fear. Maia won't be quick or strong enough to get GSP down. GSP's will be dancing around Maia.

You mean Weidman at 185?

I said it is a longshot. Its certainly not impossible.

Back