If Maia beats Fitch he can beat GSP

Well, Fitch and GSP are similar fighters in terms of approach- except GSP is better in every department (maybe not wrestling technique but he's a 1000x more explosive with better posture so that hardly matters)...

I don't see how a win over Fitch proves Maia can beat GSP. I can outrace a Honda Accord, does that mean I'd beat a Maserati designed with a similar intent- maybe, but one does not prove the other...

one does not mean another.
Maia CAN submit either or both with his BJJ.
That's a fact.

but GSP will stand against Maia.

it will remain to be seen if Maia will be able to pull guard or it might be a replay of Silva & Maia....

There will be no clowning, just pure jabbing through 5 rounds.

I don't see Maia winning unless Fitch gets sloppy during his GNP. Glad this thread is up bc I was just thinkn of how much I liked Jon in his last fight. He's hungry and I don't see him losing any time soon

Maia vs Fitch could be awesome or disgusting. Fitch could just try to push Maia against the cage for the entire fight, going for takedowns with 30 seconds left. I hope it is a good ground fight.

thats actually what i like about maia and his ww run.
its bjj vs wrestling

And BJJ loses. Maia washed out of the MW division and is attempting a run in one of the most stacked divisions in the UFC. AS was able to shut down Maia's TD, a high caliber wrestler like Fitch is gonna destroy him.

Maia is a great mma fighter, but he wouldn't be able to beat GSP. They're on different levels.

Maia has looked great at 170 so far but we haven't seen his cardio and Fitch is going to drag him into deep waters.

i dont think maia will win against gsp as much as i want that to happen...

Huge Maia fan who thinks he will submit Fitch. If Maia gets a RNC as deep as Erick Silva did, he will choke Fitch unconscious. Maia's RNC>>>>Silva's RNC.

That said, if Maia somehow got GSP down, he could possibly outgrapple GSP and win. The problem is that he won't get GSP down.

he won't sub Fitch and if he does it means nothing. Gsp will stop Maia's average takedowns and batter him standing.

What an odd stance. You’re certain that Maia will not submit Fitch- known to have great submission defense- , yet if he somehow pulled it off, you wouldn’t reevaluate Maia’s prowess. I’m guessing you never lose any arguments, right?

By the way, Maia’s took down an NCAA Division I All-American, Chael Sonnen, with his “average“ takedowns. He did the same with Kim dong-hyun, who is an excellent judo practitioner. It’s not unreasonable to assume he could do the same to GSP, especially from the clinch. If the fight went to the ground it would likely end in a submission victory for Maia.Standing though, he would lose.

It'd be a very intriguing match up.

Back