If Maia beats Fitch he can beat GSP

Is it as frightening as Weidman's?

It won't be about fear. Maia won't be quick or strong enough to get GSP down. GSP would be dancing around Maia, but throwing punches this time.

Fear wasn't what stopped Maia from getting the TD. He was running into Anderson face first in the later rounds.

Also, I'm not saying Maia was scared. He was rightfully cautious of Anderson's striking. He won't have to be that cautious of GSP (although GSP's striking is underrated) At the end of the fight he couldn't catch AS because the Spider was running away.

Maia can beat GSP anyway if he can somehow get him to the ground. Unortunately he can't. Then again, nobody has ever really tried to pull guard on GSP.

Cant see Maia beating Fitch any way but by submission but, if he does that, GSP is in trouble. GSP might try and do the same thing to Maia as he did to that annoying curly headed wrestler guy, but it could be harder and much more dangerous to grapple with. If he can sub Fitch.

And how is he supposed to take Gsp down? Confuse him with the zero standup approach?

Cant see Maia beating Fitch any way but by submission but, if he does that, GSP is in trouble. GSP might try and do the same thing to Maia as he did to that annoying curly headed wrestler guy, but it could be harder and much more dangerous to grapple with. If he can sub Fitch.

So... Before Story, Maia went 9 consecutive fights without getting a submission and you think Georges is in trouble despite the fact that his bjj is at an extremely high level and that he has probably the best takedown defense in the history of the sport ?

Yeah, good thinking.

Maia can beat GSP anyway if he can somehow get him to the ground. Unortunately he can't. Then again, nobody has ever really tried to pull guard on GSP.

Even if he did get GSP to the ground, it's highly unlikely he'd submit Georges.

GSP bjj is really high level and Maia has 1 sub in his last 10 fights.

Not really. I think Fitch's gameplan will be still to take Maia to the ground and get a decision like always. If he were to get subbed, that would mean the same for GSP since GSP's gameplan surely will be to stay standing and outstrike Maia (which has been done to Maia in other fights)

If you can beat Fitch, you can beat GSP. Nice

No way Maia gets the fight to the ground against GSP. No. Way.

GSP would put on a striking clinic, and Maia wouldn't be allowed on a plane for a while

Even if he did get GSP to the ground, it's highly unlikely he'd submit Georges.

GSP bjj is really high level and Maia has 1 sub in his last 10 fights.

I wouldn't say it's highly unlikely. The only thing that's highly unlikely is the fight ever getting to the ground. Maia has been pretending to be a striker as of late. His last fight reminded everyone that when he wants to go to the ground, Maia is on another level. Legitimately the most dangerous submission expert in the UFC...even above Palhares in my opinion.

And BJJ loses. Maia washed out of the MW division and is attempting a run in one of the most stacked divisions in the UFC. AS was able to shut down Maia's TD, a high caliber wrestler like Fitch is gonna destroy him.

What, like Chael Sonnen did against Maia? Oh, wait, wrestling didn't win that time.

And BJJ loses. Maia washed out of the MW division and is attempting a run in one of the most stacked divisions in the UFC. AS was able to shut down Maia's TD, a high caliber wrestler like Fitch is gonna destroy him.

Did you even watch Maia's fights against so called elite wrestlers?
Sonnen - Won by Sub
Weidman - They both looked shit, Maia lost but on the ground he treated Weidman like a minor inconvenience
Munoz - he beat Munoz standing but was not able to double leg Munoz. Munoz probably won on the basis of takedowns and donkey kong punches to the thigh, but actual grappling - again Maia never looked to be in any difficulty, coming close to a sub at one point but like with Weidman, he seemed obsessed with getting it to standing again. Post fight Munoz was talking about how strong Maia was against the cage.

I think that writing Maia off against Fitch because he is a high caliber wrestler is ignoring Maia's career so far against high caliber wrestlers at the higher weight class. If he continues to have good weight cuts and has kept his strength then he is going to be a real problem for anyone on the ground at WW.

BWT ... has Maia ever explained wtf he was doing during his striking obsession phases. IMO he may well have lost against Weidman and Munoz by standing up instead of dragging them into his world, certainly he passed up quite a few opportunities to keep it on the ground.

Why does anyone think Maia can take GSP down from the clinch? That might just be possible, but how does he even get the clinch in the first place?

GSP was wary enough of Jake Shields' ground game to never let him even clinch. Since Maia is probably even more dangerous on the ground than Shields, what makes you think that GSP would let him get that close?

Why does anyone think Maia can take GSP down from the clinch? That might just be possible, but how does he even get the clinch in the first place?

GSP was wary enough of Jake Shields' ground game to never let him even clinch. Since Maia is probably even more dangerous on the ground than Shields, what makes you think that GSP would let him get that close?

No one at 170 can dictate GSP in the clinch.

BWT ... has Maia ever explained wtf he was doing during his striking obsession phases. IMO he may well have lost against Weidman and Munoz by standing up instead of dragging them into his world, certainly he passed up quite a few opportunities to keep it on the ground.

I just think he knew he had to improve his striking to compete with the elites like AS.
He got carried away. Now he's back.

GSP would jab and circle just like he did against Shields.

I cannot realize GSP loosing a fight. Maybe Diaz can provoke him and make him abandon his game plan as Nate did against Cerrone. Who knows...

Originally Posted by Leiurus
Cant see Maia beating Fitch any way

Stopped reading

The only advantage Fitch has is cardio. I expect s great fight, Im one of the few pre-silva Fitch fans but I'm rooting for Maia.

thanks for the heads up, fuc*ing hate laptops they make you sound like an idiot, fixed it now :redface:

it should have read ...
"the only way i can see maia beating fitch is by submission anyway....

GSP would keep the fight standing. There is no reason for him to take Maia down if they fought.

Theres no way Maia could beat GSP

People say crazy things without taking styles into account

Mia couldnt take GSP down
GSP would avoid taking Mia down
It would be just like the Silva fight!

Back