If Jones is Tyson then McGregor is Ali

giphy.gif

tumblr_lx9s7rqQw71qzhczao1_500.gif

Both insanely naturally talented and both basically being kind of fuckups, i.e, getting in trouble with the law, doing silly things, etc.

No offense dude, but Jones/Tyson is one of the worst comparisons ever made between two fighters.

At least we can agree then...

The real proof is in McGregor getting the next title shot and not the more deserving and much loved Edgar. :wink: Got numbers? GreGOAT does! :icon_lol:

Dana says a lot of shit. I just looked at all the UFC events Conor was on and only one was a PPV and that did 205k and he was not the headliner. Might Mouse and Cerrone fights where the marque fights.

UFC 178 gate did 2.2 mil.
UFC Dulin gate did 1.4, nearly a million less in his home town with him headlining.

You could say that Conor was the reason that the UFC got 1.4 mil but the UFC has not been in Dublin since 2009. A lot of that $$$ came from ppl being happy UFC was in the country.

Last edited:
At least we can agree then...

The real proof is in McGregor getting the next title shot and not the more deserving and much loved Edgar. :wink: Got numbers? GreGOAT does! :icon_lol:

hahaha This is the same Dana White that said Rousey was their biggest draw (now fighting on Weidman's cards). In fact, she was bigger than Lesnar too (http://www.mmamania.com/2013/2/21/4014838/dana-white-ronda-rousey-brock-lesnar-out-of-the-water-mma-media-attention-ufc-157). Numbers is the thing Conor doesn't have.

At least you agree Edgar is more deserving tho.

No offense dude, but Jones/Tyson is one of the worst comparisons ever made between two fighters.

It's not mine, after this recent win over Cormier a lot of people started comparing Jones to Tyson.

Dana says a lot of shit. I just looked at all the UFC events Conor was on and only one was a PPV and that did 205k and he was not the headliner. Might Mouse and Cerrone fights where the marque fights.

UFC 178 gate did 2.2 mil.
UFC Dulin gate did 1.4, nearly a million less in his home town with him headlining.

Yeah, and I'm aware. I was screwing with that guy I was replying to. Notice my first sentence after and how it starts... "the real proof is". Assuming it's correct, that Dublin gate was only after Conor had 2 fights in the UFC, one of which lasted only a little over a minute (his debut). He's a much bigger star now than he was then.

Are you kidding? My mom just asked me about Conor and that's something she's never done with any other MMA fighter ever... not Brock, not Anderson, not Kimbo, not Rousey... Conor McGregor is the first MMA fighter that ever peaked her interest.

If anything, hardcore fans are the ones who hate Conor, mainstream already loves the guy.

Oh so your mom follows current events, how lovely. I bet she also knows about the cop who sang 'Shake it off' in his patrol car as well.

You went full retard. Never go full retard.

Oh so your mom follows current events, how lovely. I bet she also knows about the cop who sang 'Shake it off' in his patrol car as well.

You went full retard. Never go full retard.

Bro, his mom makes 500K a year breh.

Are you kidding? My mom just asked me about Conor and that's something she's never done with any other MMA fighter ever... not Brock, not Anderson, not Kimbo, not Rousey... Conor McGregor is the first MMA fighter that ever peaked her interest.

If anything, hardcore fans are the ones who hate Conor, mainstream already loves the guy.

None of them got nearly the exposure Conor has gotten in the last week + on a major network. He had an ad every commercial break yesterday on FX during their airing of The Departed, he's gotten talk today during the playoff NFL games, and he's had like 3 different specials devoted to him in the last 10 days. Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

hahaha This is the same Dana White that said Rousey was their biggest draw (now fighting on Weidman's cards). In fact, she was bigger than Lesnar too (http://www.mmamania.com/2013/2/21/4014838/dana-white-ronda-rousey-brock-lesnar-out-of-the-water-mma-media-attention-ufc-157). Numbers is the thing Conor doesn't have.

At least you agree Edgar is more deserving tho.

Hey, Beavis, notice I didn't even leave a source for it? You're a little too quick to take people serious. But, my last statement was serious. Like I said, the real proof is in McGregor getting the next title shot over the much more deserving and beloved Edgar. It seems to me that they're banking on what they already know, that a fight with McGregor and Aldo will do serious business.

Hey, Beavis, notice I didn't even leave a source for it? You're a little too quick to take people serious. But, my last statement was serious. Like I said, the real proof is in McGregor getting the next title shot over the much more deserving and beloved Edgar. It seems to me that they're banking on what they already know, that a fight with McGregor and Aldo will do serious business.

Hey, Butthead, I was replying to your whole post. How is that proof? All they're banking on is that Conor will sell some seats in Ireland with a title fight (and they're right).

Both insanely naturally talented and both basically being kind of fuckups, i.e, getting in trouble with the law, doing silly things, etc.

Except Tyson was a brick shithouse and compact as all get out. Even stylistically, attitude, upbringing, situationally, management wise, they're nothing alike. There is literally one thing about them that is alike, and that one thing is that they are both african american, otherwise you couldn't even make that comparison.

Hey, Butthead, I was replying to your whole post. How is that proof? All they're banking on is that Conor will sell some seats in Ireland with a title fight (and they're right).

Dana just said yesterday that Aldo vs. McGregor would be the biggest fight of the year. That's a big statement considering we just got to 2015. Of course he's hyping it up but not entirely. It's a fight that has mass appeal. Wait until the fight happens and then compare the numbers Aldo usually gets, on average. You'll see exactly what Conor can do in terms of numbers nowadays. And to be able to skip over Edgar means monetarily McGregor is the man to be right now, more so than Edgar and the rest of the bunch at FW. A rematch with Edgar could be marketed well and sell well, yet McGregor still won the bid. BTW, they're doing Aldo-McGregor in Vegas.

Difference is Ali drew everyone to him. Conor only draws the hardcore MMA fans. So stop this bullshit. And Jones isn't Tyson.

That may be the way history remembers it now, but I seriously doubt he was that loved. Winners are always remembered well, but that guy was a legitimate asshole.

The problem is Mcgregor hasn't proved himself against anyone elite despite how hard the UFC hype machine is desperately trying to propel him.

Dana just said yesterday that Aldo vs. McGregor would be the biggest fight of the year. That's a big statement considering we just got to 2015. Of course he's hyping it up but not entirely. It's a fight that has mass appeal. Wait until the fight happens and then compare the numbers Aldo usually gets, on average. You'll see exactly what Conor can do in terms of numbers nowadays. And to be able to skip over Edgar means monetarily McGregor is the man to be right now, more so than Edgar and the rest of the bunch at FW. A rematch with Edgar could be marketed well and sell well, yet McGregor still won the bid. BTW, they're doing Aldo-McGregor in Vegas.

Let's wait and see the numbers then. Dana saying it's the biggest fight of the year? No way! Must be true then. Did you know that Barao, Jones, Weidman, Silva, Pettis and Aldo are the #1 p4p fighters in the UFC? Fun fact. Skipping over Edgar doesn't mean as much as you think it does. It's easier to market Conor-Aldo than it is a rematch between Edgar and Aldo, especially to get the Irish views. I still don't believe Dana that it'll be in Vegas, so I'm gonna wait till that's announced for sure. But if it is in Vegas, then it just means they lose money and their original plans of selling big in Ireland go out the window.

Back