If Gus beats Cormier he will hold the real Belt !

Jones won the last three rounds vs Gus.

None of these are be paper belts anyway, since nobody is ducking Jones. The UFC is not in the protection business for any individual fighters.

Paper champs are mostly a boxing problem.

Once Jones comes back I am sure he gets a title shot.

Huh. I remember Jones taking the second, the third, and the fifth.

I think in a scenario like this a guy has to not just win the belt but defend it a few times. It also heavily depends on where JOnes is, because if Jones says by the end of the year his legal problems are solved and he's back in mid 2016, no one is the real champ till they beat him. But if this legal stuff carries on and Gus defends the belt a couple times without a come back date? Then we can start regarding Gus as the real champ

I'm glad Gus gets another shot; I thought he beat Jones too. I think DC is a bad matchup for him though. Clinch, TD, GNP, repeat.

The only way to legitimize the belt, I believe is for Jones to be beaten for it, or for Jones to retire from MMA without fighting for it again.

Jones should be the champion emeritus, unless he chooses a warm-up.

Since many people (including myself) believe that Gus beat Jones back in 2013 he will not have a " Paper " Belt when he beats DC. He is going to be the real legit champ since he has already prooven that hes at the level of Jones (or even better)

So pretty much Gustafsson is going to be the 1 to bring the legitimacy back to the Light Heavyweight Division !

Who else feels the same ?

article-2433531-18288CAB00000578-38_634x417.jpg

Doesn't matter what you feel. Alternatively Convictson lost that fight with Jones. Jones is the real champ. Everyone rise is just paper mache

The belt is made out of paper as long as Jones is still out there doing whatever it is he's doing, and hasn't been beat. No, being fantasy-beat doesn't count. Having a very close fight doesn't mean you've been beat. Some people thinking you lost doesn't mean you lost.

As Dirk would say about this thread, "Shut it down, let's go home!"

love gus, i think he butchered jones damage wise, but he didnt do enough to take the belt, and this is coming from a guy who wanted to see him win it.

you have to understand, they are looking at the over all volume. i think gus landed better overall head/bodyshots, but jones had a much higher volume of strikes due to his side kicks, push kicks, etc. this is the difference between a challanger like gus or hendricks, and a champion like gsp/jones. they know how to dig deep, and outscore the opponent even when things are not going their way.

i wish we had a rematch though. whether it's a win or lose for gus, i just wanna see these two scrap again. they bring out the best in each other and make for a great rivlary.

For sure.

Gus became the UFC LHW Champion when he beat Jones.

He lost his title to Rumble in his first title defense fight.

The champ Rumble also couldn't defend the title,losing against DC.

Lets see if DC can defend it

Even if Gus wins, rumble is just gonna make that loser cry again.

It seems Gus huggers pretend that Rumble doesn't exist.

Huh. I remember Jones taking the second, the third, and the fifth.

Depends on who scored it. :icon_chee

official judges had it this way:

Judge Chris Lee

Rd. 1: Gustafsson 10-9

Rd. 2: Jones 10-9

Rd. 3: Jones 10-9

Rd. 4: Jones 10-9

Rd. 5: Jones 10-9

Judge Richard Bertrand

Rd. 2: Jones 10-9

Rd. 3: Gustafsson 10-9

Judge Doug Crosby

Rd. 2: Gustafsson 10-9

Rd. 3: Jones 10-9

MMAmania: Jones (48-47)

FOX Sports: Jones (48-47)

Sports Illustrated: Jones (48-47)

CBS Sports: Gustafsson (48-47)

ESPN: Jones (48-47)

Las Vegas Sun: Jones (49-46)

Los Angeles Times: Jones (48-47)

MMA Fighting: Jones (49-46)

Yahoo Sports: Jones (48-47)

Bleacher Report: Jones (49-46)

Bloody Elbow: Jones (49-46)

MMA Weekly: Jones (48-47)

I had Jones winning 3,4,5. I am neither a Jones or Hendricks fan. Still had Hendricks winning vs GSP and Lawler.

In the UFC the champions are forced to fight whoever the UFC deems worthy, no paper champs like in boxing. The UFC does not gain anything by protecting fighters. The brand is the UFC not Jones.

I was a Gus fan until he received Rumble's wad and cried like a Spanish ballerina in front of his people

So you are a fake fan? You like the fighters that are winning until they lose?

Go back to watch wwe then.

Don't be ridiculous. Only Jones haters say that Gus won. They were tied going into the 5th where Gus did absolutely nothing to earn the win.

Came for a gif of Rumble beating on a helpless Gustafsson, am disappoint.

Does that mean if DC wins his belt becomes "real"? It cannot work only in 1 direction.

Jones was the paper champion as soon as he loss to Gus and moaned his way out of an immediate rematch.

Yup. He'll clearly need a rematch with Jones when/if he gets back. But considering the shit he pulled I'd say it's safe to say he's not the holder of any belt at this point.

Back