If Gus beats Cormier he will hold the real Belt !

What will be said about Gus if he loses? That's what I'm really intrigued by

How can you think he is overhyped if you think he beat prime Jon Jones 49-46?

A freak occurrence a la Serra GSP 1.

Gus was a suprisingly bad stylistic match up due to the style bones used at the time plus he likely didn't take it seriously enough. Imo he thought he could always just wrestle him if things went south on the feet and wasn't prepared when it turned out to not be that easy. Notice how Bones fighting method changed almost completely, for the third time in his career, after that fight.

Never happens again.

A freak occurrence a la Serra GSP 1.

Gus was a suprisingly bad stylistic match up due to the style bones used at the time plus he likely didn't take it seriously enough. Imo he thought he could always just wrestle him if things went south on the feet and wasn't prepared when it turned out to not be that easy. Notice how Bones fighting method changed almost completely, for the third time in his career, after that fight.

Never happens again.

How did Jones fighting method change after Gustafsson fight?

Just because you "believe" something, doesn't make it true. Jon Jones won that fight.

Tim Slyvia is wearing the Real Belt inside a 7-11 in Maine right now, btw

mis-accomp-delusion.gif

love gus, i think he butchered jones damage wise, but he didnt do enough to take the belt, and this is coming from a guy who wanted to see him win it.

you have to understand, they are looking at the over all volume. i think gus landed better overall head/bodyshots, but jones had a much higher volume of strikes due to his side kicks, push kicks, etc. this is the difference between a challanger like gus or hendricks, and a champion like gsp/jones. they know how to dig deep, and outscore the opponent even when things are not going their way.

i wish we had a rematch though. whether it's a win or lose for gus, i just wanna see these two scrap again. they bring out the best in each other and make for a great rivlary.

This is not true. Watch the fight and count the strikes. Gus outlanded Jones in every round but one, and that includes counting all the meaningless oblique kicks that landed.

I can see an argument for a draw in that fight if someone only counts total number of strikes landed as their primary determinant, since most rounds Gus outlanded Jones by only a couple of strikes total, but there is literally no way when viewed objectively and repeatedly that any of the first three rounds can actually be a win for Jones. I spent about two and a half hours one night watching and counting back strikes, rewatching rounds to see what I counted etc.. Gus outlanded Jones in volume and quality in the first three rounds with no question.

The fourth is a debateable round, Gus won most of the round and outlanded Jones by some margin, but Jones had a very good 30 second period where Gus was clearly hurt. The last round was almost a draw too, but I think Jones clinches it in the last 15 seconds with a flying knee and a couple of other good strikes.

Oh, I should add though that no, TS. The real belt is with Jones. I feel very few people would agree with your idea. Until Jones is either retired or beaten he is the real champion, even if he is a rotten person.

I like Gus alot, but beating the guy that got the belt without beating the champ, in a title fight he doesn't deserve to begin with does not make you the champ somehow

How did Jones fighting method change after Gustafsson fight?

He stopped using long-range kickboxing and developed an outstanding clinch/dirty-boxing game. Honestly if you watch all of his UFC fights the guy has gone through some of the most dynamic style changes I've ever seen from a fighter over his career. It's unbelievable but he seems to be able to just pick any style at will based purely on what he's interested in at the time.

Just because you "believe" something, doesn't make it true. Jon Jones won that fight.

Just because you "believe" something, doesn't make it true. Gus won that fight.

See how that works both ways?

Since many people (including myself) believe that Gus beat Jones back in 2013 he will not have a " Paper " Belt when he beats DC. He is going to be the real legit champ since he has already prooven that hes at the level of Jones (or even better)

So pretty much Gustafsson is going to be the 1 to bring the legitimacy back to the Light Heavyweight Division !

Who else feels the same ?

article-2433531-18288CAB00000578-38_634x417.jpg

let's say your argument is true and he did indeed win the belt, which he didn't and you ARE a fuckwit pissbelt, then he lost it to Rumble and DC has it.

I feel dirty now. Soiled by this thread.

Off to bleach my eyes and peehole just like grandma used to do.

Ta!

Probably been said but how can he hold the "real belt" without avenging his losses to Johnson or Jones?

No one is a legit champ while Jones is still around.. as sad as that might be

He stopped using long-range kickboxing and developed an outstanding clinch/dirty-boxing game. Honestly if you watch all of his UFC fights the guy has gone through some of the most dynamic style changes I've ever seen from a fighter over his career.

I think you might underestimate the significance of an opponent. If you think Jones can clinch and dirty box Gustafsson the same way he did against Glover, you are probably going to be reminded again by Gustafsson`s abilities if the rematch some day happens.

It's unbelievable but he seems to be able to just pick any style at will based purely on what he's interested in at the time.

Its not unbelievable at all if you just view him objectively. For example, he failed miserably with his boxing against Gustafsson despite all the talk before the fight. He is just a human, a great fighter with some flaws like every fighter have. There is no reason to try to make excuses for him about his performance against Gustafsson, because there arent any. In fact, he had many real advantages over Gustafsson coming in to that fight (he was the champ = gets more likely close decision, a lot more experience in 5 rounds fights etc.)

The objective truth is that they fought basically an even 25min war. There should be no reason to discredit Gustafsson`s performance by creating excuses for Jones performance.

Just because you "believe" something, doesn't make it true. Gus won that fight.

See how that works both ways?

Well seeing as Jones was FACTUALLY won the fight than you are wrong.

See: fight finder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back