If GSP and Anderson Silva did fight in their primes - Would the winner be the clear MMA GOAT?

Would the winner be the clear MMA GOAT?

• Total voters
GSP never would’ve taken that fight in AS prime. The guy quit as soon as he had a legit threat (shout out JOHNY HENDRICKS) and then FINALLY comes back to fight one of the weakest champs even in Bisping in a very favorable stylistic match up. He also greased vs Penn a smaller fighter… guy is a fraud.

Around 25lbs of difference in the cage there was betweeen Griffin and Silva that night.
Sherbro eye tests won't change facts.

People always overestimate Silva's size on here because of that time Ed Soares said Silva walks around at 230 lbs. I'm guessing he gained weight before one of his fights, and that's where this comment came from. Everyone ignores the fact that Silva fought DC at LHW on two days notice and weighed in at 198 lbs, meaning that was his walk around weight.

FITCH WAS A WW, you just got finished using that as proof positive with the stupid maia thing. maia was a MW who dropped down because he was having trouble with the TDs.........but now suddenly you're Mr. 'the weight makes a difference.' you shift gears more than a racecar driver. my lord are you having trouble.

What? Did you just have an stroke or something?

The fact is GSP refused to take the opportunity of a huge money and legacy boost because the ubersimpleton analysis around wrestling is only valid for textbook shertards of your caliber. He knew he would be in trouble anywhere, including the ground. Period.

Get another hobby, loser

I think it would make the winner a pretty clear top guy of all time at that time and probably even to this day.

GSP style I always thought would be tough for Silva to get over. We saw what happen when Chael went just heavy wrestling. GSP is much more affective standing and in takedowns then Chael.

Last edited:
I think in the case of GSP, yes it would have made a great case for him. He would beat the bigger guy and take the MW belt in his prime. For Anderson, not so much cause it would be a win over GSP as a title defense. A great win no doubt, but it wouldn't have the same impact as the other way around.

Either way, I don't see with a win how either surpass Jones.

People always overestimate Silva's size on here because of that time Ed Soares said Silva walks around at 230 lbs. I'm guessing he gained weight before one of his fights, and that's where this comment came from. Everyone ignores the fact that Silva fought DC at LHW on two days notice and weighed in at 198 lbs, meaning that was his walk around weight.

Silva fought Jeremy Horn in an openweight bout in Korea. Silva weighted-in 185lbs. Horn weighted-in at 200lbs. SIlva was already in his late 20s at the time, not like he was a teenager.
Silva fought at WW the very same year he became UFC champ btw. He barely did cut weight to make 185 when he became champ. Needed to bulk up heavily to get to 200lbs in fighting shape.
Griffin is a guy who was 230lbs in fighting shape.

I think some people overstate his size because there are a lot of simpletons around here who struggle to understand that height doesnt equal size, and then, there are also a bunch of GSP fanboys that try as much as they can to downplay Anderson Silva, and I guess overstating his size is just another attempt.

Regarding weight off-camp...I dont know about Anderson but I just think is irrelevant. Fitch had posted pics at 210lbs in between fights yet it doesnt mean he was a particularly big WW. Joe daddy Stevenson used to get to 200lbs in between fighs yet he wasnt a big LW. It's just irrelevant.

I think that it would help whoever wins be acclaimed as GOAT.
But in the great scheme of things, might not be enough for those who support Fedor or Jon....But at least it would bump down the loser, so less people would be on our GOAT discussion... but where is the fun in it???

I think that it would help whoever wins be acclaimed as GOAT.
But in the great scheme of things, might not be enough to surpass Fedor....But at least it would bump down the loser, so less people would be on GOAT discussion

I dont think a loss at 185 would bump down GSP that much, specially if he gave Silva a tough fight even in the loss.
A loss vs the smaller Georges would indeed hurt Silva's status imo

What? Did you just have an stroke or something?

The fact is GSP refused to take the opportunity of a huge money and legacy boost because the ubersimpleton analysis around wrestling is only valid for textbook shertards of your caliber. He knew he would be in trouble anywhere, including the ground. Period.

Get another hobby, loser
every time you get owned, you ignore the post. if anderson can't be taken down, then why does gsp have to worry about elbows and subs from the bottom? if gsp can't get the TD like sonnen because sonnen is 'twenty pounds heavier', then why is maia taking down a guy a weight class lower somehow relevant? you're almost incapable of making sense.

and now gsp would be in trouble 'on the ground', too. never go full retard. he had exactly one loss via submission and it was to an all-time great, when he was completely green. and sonnen basically specialized in being submitted, if you're going to try to use that as some kind of bullshit argument.

I dont think a loss at 185 would bump down GSP that much, specially if he gave Silva a tough fight even in the loss.
A loss vs the smaller Georges would indeed hurt Silva's status imo
I disagree.
GSP, despite what his fans scream about, is not such a small WW. And Silva is on the very next WC, so it's not like he has to move up 2 or more Divisions to fight Silva.
Being fair, GSP might even gain some advantage, because he will not be doing cutting weight while SIlva would still have to make MW.

Look, I do think no GSP fan will give up on him being GOAT even in a terrible loss. But I disagree it should not bump him down. Silva moved up and fought Forrest, Bonnar, Irvin and even DC (on a week's notice no less). So how come now it's not fair for GSP to fight Silva?

every time you get owned, you ignore the post. if anderson can't be taken down, then why does gsp have to worry about elbows and subs from the bottom? if gsp can't get the TD like sonnen because sonnen is 'twenty pounds heavier', then why is maia taking down a guy a weight class lower somehow relevant? you're almost incapable of making sense.

and now gsp would be in trouble 'on the ground', too. never go full retard. he had exactly one loss via submission and it was to an all-time great, when he was completely green. and sonnen basically specialized in being submitted, if you're going to try to use that as some kind of bullshit argument.

Yes, GSP would be in trouble anywhere.
Standing up for obvious reasons. So he would need the TD which would not come as easy as when facing WWs. Then, even IF he got the TD, he would be in a world of trouble down there.

So no safe spots for Georges with Silva in the cage. No place to set his pace ans control de fight which is what he liked to do, and why he refused to take on the challenge even in front of a huge amount of money and legacy to grab.

Too hard to grasp for a textbook shertard like you. Its ok. You got slapped. Now move on and get another hobby its about time

Standing up for obvious reasons. So he would need the TD which would not come as easy as when facing WWs. Then, even IF he got the TD, he would be in a world of trouble down there.

So no safe spots for Georges with Silva in the cage. No place to set his pace ans control de fight which is what he liked to do, and why he refused to take on the challenge even in front of a huge amount of money and legacy to grab.

Too hard to grasp for a textbook shertard like you. Its ok. You got slapped. Now move on and get another hobby its about time
nope. gsp by boring ass decision. but i'll give you a break now, looks like you need it.

oh, and by the way, just as a parting gift: anderson was a counterstriker. so gsp would have all the time he wanted to 'set his pace and control the fight'. and yes, we know, 'textbook shertard', 'ubersimpleton', durr durr durr. you can't be more than sixteen years old.

Last edited:

don't be so smug.
This fight would be interesting, but you did nothing to "prove me wrong". If anything, you merely added your perspective on the fight, which is completely irrelevant.

Oh, and BTW, Silva has his problems against wrestlers. GSP could (and probably this would be his gameplan) to time Silva with takedowns, rinse & repeat. SO no, you couldn't even do that right....

don't be so smug.
This fight would be interesting, but you did nothing to "prove me wrong". If anything, you merely added your perspective on the fight, which is completely irrelevant.

Oh, and BTW, Silva has his problems against wrestlers. GSP could (and probably this would be his gameplan) to time Silva with takedowns, rinse & repeat. SO no, you couldn't even do that right....
don't bother, he's special.

Gotta agree with the people saying it would have done more legacy wise for gsp. There was a significant size difference. That being said, it's not like a win over gsp wouldn't have boosted Silva's legacy. Imagine if that fight happened and he won, and then retired before Weidman. Fate is fickle.

There's no glory for Silva beating GSP since it's the expected result.
Exactly. That's why the fight never happened. Silva was a large MW who fought at LHW when there were no title challengers lined up. St. Pierre was a small WW who only moved up to MW because Bisping was quite beatable.

Both behind Jones and Fedor.

don't be so smug.

I wasnt replying to you there, but the other shertard.
About pretending GSP was the favourite in that match up, GSP himself disagree by refusing the match as even Dana White confirms so stop reaching sherbros.

And yeah, the logic " he was a good wrestler son he could just win by taking Silva down" is painfully simpleton and ignorant even by sherbro standards.
Rinse and repeating as you suggest would only increase the chances GSP gets caught with a solid blow as he did by Condit, Serra, BJ or Jonny, only that Silva's strikes would end the fight right there.

You are right is not such a massive size difference but still, when talking about the very best of all time in their respective weightclases, 10-15lbs difference is very hard to overcome so a loss by the smaller man would be much more easy to forgive.

GSP wasnt a particularly big WW. No small, but around average. He needed to bulk up to get to 190 for his MW bout

So Bisping and Silva were 4 years apart?

There's something called context : 4 years apart + 41 years old.

At 41 years old, you should be retired since a long time, especially in the MW division.

he was the smaller guy moving up a weight class.

Fair point.

Back