Ideas on how to curb mass shootings.

That don't involve sweeping gun control, but distinct targeted gun control. Now I'm as conservative, NRA, ex military, and Gun loving as they come. But these mass shootings have to stop. After watching the video of the Santa Barbara shooter. I noticed that this guy was completely selfish, and suffered badly from pride. It seems like every other month now, were hearing about some mentally ill, self absorbed person killing innocents.

My idea/opinion on how to possibly curb this for the generations to come is

1.Children need to be taught morals,and decency as a state mandated law in elementary, middle, and high school, just like they're taught art and science. I think the average person would be surprised to know how many children have never heard don't steal, don't kill, respect your elders, treat people like you would want to be treated,don't bully people.

2. Starting as early as 4th grade, all children need to be given a mental health screening, to include talking to their parents about the typical behaviors of their children. We need to know as a society which kids are killing small animals, wetting the bed past say Fourth grade, have an infatuation with fire, and those who are being tormented by bullies on a daily basis.

3. After these children are identified, steps need to be taken to treat them without psychotropic drugs.....at first. My brother was prescribed Ritalin in 6th grade, and imo it not only didn't help, but made him worse.

4. After these children are identified, rigorous mental health treatment should be started, and their names interred into a national "NO BUY" list like our national "NO FLY" list. The "NO BUY" list would be a form of targeted gun control for individuals who've been identified from childhood as having severe mental; and emotional problems.

I know this isn't perfect, but the status quo of guy "snaps", kills a bunch of innocents, and nothing changes, must stop. I came to these feelings primarily after The Newtown mass killing. thoughts.

Gonna need some big government doing a lot of spending to implement those kinds of plans. How does that chime with you being as "conservative as they come"?

At this point, I don't think there's anything that can be done to curb mass shootings in the USA. Americans love guns and have plenty of them. The US government probably couldn't even tighten restrictions on them, let alone ban or confiscate them even if it really wanted to. You're going to have plenty more gun massacres so the best thing to do is just to accept them, deal with it.

You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, your kids could get gunned down going to school/the mall/movie theatre. That's it.

I admit up front this is a SWAG but I think one thing that makes this very rare phenomenon more common is that most people have less social contact than they did a few decades ago.

Social interaction is widely believed to be good for mental health and also if you have people in your life they are more likely to realize when you're going off the rails and talk you out of the craziest stuff and/or get you to seek help.

As for what to do about this, short of abolishing digital entertainment(not seriously proposing this), I don't know.

I dont know why but most of these mass shootings occur in wealthy or high middle class areas. You never hear ( well I haven't) about a school in a ghetto neighborhood being over taken by a gun man or a student going ape shit and killing other alumnis.
What this kids need is an ass whooping. Seriously, now a days you cant whip your kids because the CPS comes knocking down your door. More ass whoopings = less crazy fucks.
**When I mean ass whoopings, I don't mean beating your kid senseless. Lol

That don't involve sweeping gun control, but distinct targeted gun control. Now I'm as conservative, NRA, ex military, and Gun loving as they come. But these mass shootings have to stop. After watching the video of the Santa Barbara shooter. I noticed that this guy was completely selfish, and suffered badly from pride. It seems like every other month now, were hearing about some mentally ill, self absorbed person killing innocents.

1.Children need to be taught morals,and decency as a state mandated law in elementary, middle, and high school, just like they're taught art and science. I think the average person would be surprised to know how many children have never heard don't steal, don't kill, respect your elders, treat people like you would want to be treated,don't bully people.

2. Starting as early as 4th grade, all children need to be given a mental health screening, to include talking to their parents about the typical behaviors of their children. We need to know as a society which kids are killing small animals, wetting the bed past say Fourth grade, have an infatuation with fire, and those who are being tormented by bullies on a daily basis.

3. After these children are identified, steps need to be taken to treat them without psychotropic drugs.....at first. My brother was prescribed Ritalin in 6th grade, and imo it not only didn't help, but made him worse.

4. After these children are identified, rigorous mental health treatment should be started, and their names interred into a national "NO BUY" list like our national "NO FLY" list. The "NO BUY" list would be a form of targeted gun control for individuals who've been identified from childhood as having severe mental; and emotional problems.

I know this isn't perfect, but the status quo of guy "snaps", kills a bunch of innocents, and nothing changes, must stop. I came to these feelings primarily after The Newtown mass killing. thoughts.

I don't believe it's govt's job to teach morals. That's mom and dad's job. Or at least it should be. Schools can reinforce morals though. These young males need good role models of real men who invest time with them. That's hard to find. That should be dad though.
And I don't like any of the pre-crime stuff. I think it is wrong too. You might agree with this I don't know. I agree with a couple of points you made though.
But you can ban guns, but guys like Elliot Rodger will find a car, a knife or something else to do their killing. Again, legislation and regulations will not fix the root problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fix the mental healthcare infrastructure/system.

1.) Better treatment
2.) Better identification/diagnostics
3.) Reduced stigma

A sane person does not kill large numbers of human beings. A system that took better care of insane people prior to their flare ups would go a long way to preventing the flare ups.

Think of a mass shooting as the mental health equivalent to a heart attack. Most of the time these are acute episodes that result from an accumulation of neglect.

you think these suicidal psychopaths would decide to go on a mass shooting spree at a police station?

NO

but why?

not because they're afraid of getting caught for breaking the law, they dont care about the law..... they dont choose police stations because they know they would get killed after they shot their first shot

seems as though they're more interested in racking up a high body count prior to getting killed..... then they can be glorified in the mainstream media 24/7 just like they want.

so how to stop these actions from taking place?

create an atmosphere thats similar to a police station, armed responsible citizens everywhere, you kill an innocent, you get killed back immediately..... this is what would happen at a police station and this is why a police station is the safest place to be.

it should be that way everywhere, lets create an environment that replicates a police station everywhere.....

mass shootings would stop instantly.

you think these suicidal psychopaths would decide to go on a mass shooting spree at a police station?

NO

but why?

not because they're afraid of getting caught for breaking the law, they dont care about the law..... they dont choose police stations because they know they would get killed after they shot their first shot

seems as though they're more interested in racking up a high body count prior to getting killed..... then they can be glorified in the mainstream media 24/7 just like they want.

so how to stop these actions from taking place?

create an atmosphere thats similar to a police station, armed responsible citizens everywhere, you kill an innocent, you get killed back immediately..... this is what would happen at a police station and this is why a police station is the safest place to be.

it should be that way everywhere, lets create an environment that replicates a police station everywhere.....

mass shootings would stop instantly.

Seriously can't tell if you're trolling or not.

Seriously can't tell if you're trolling or not.

mass shootings equals multiple victims, you wouldn't have multiple victims at a place there are people with guns.

Do you think mass shooters want to go to police stations, gun ranges, gun shows where everyone is carrying concealed, or any other place where the majority of the populace is packing heat???

or do you think mass shooters want to pick a place where they can rack up the most body bags like gun free zones???

I know, I know, logic and facts piss off liberals but it's true

One of the family members was making a good point that if the press simply focused on the victims rather than the shooters than it would be very a different story.

If only... and that would at least help.

mass shootings equals multiple victims, you wouldn't have multiple victims at a place there are people with guns.

Do you think mass shooters want to go to police stations, gun ranges, gun shows where everyone is carrying concealed, or any other place where the majority of the populace is packing heat???

or do you think mass shooters want to pick a place where they can rack up the most body bags like gun free zones???

I know, I know, logic and facts piss off liberals but it's true

Just so I understand you correctly...if more people were armed and in more places mass shootings would become rarer?

Nothing. Nothing is your answer.

We have built a society around guns, and also crazies are multiplying like rabbits. Only teaching your kids to be better people will help. Anything else will be deemed big GOV because of the costs, or fascists because we are taking away the rights of the people.

Everyone walking around armed isn't going to have a dramatic effect either. These same people are going to act out like this regardless of body count. They will just have to get silencers now, to start their attack unnoticed for as long as possible.

The genie is out of the bottle, folks.

Theres got to be a medium between the "nobody has guns" and "everybody has guns" policies. People just listen to politicians say that shit, then think that they formed their own ideas. But saying something like gun control doesn't work is not true. The Santa Barbra shooter bought three guns legally, despite clearly being mentally ill. I don't see the problem with not letting mentally ill people buy guns, nor do I think that you have a Constitutional right to a gun without a background check. But thats just an opinion.

Exciting times we live in. Where mass casualty meets mass hysteria?

I admit up front this is a SWAG but I think one thing that makes this very rare phenomenon more common is that most people have less social contact than they did a few decades ago.

Social interaction is widely believed to be good for mental health and also if you have people in your life they are more likely to realize when you're going off the rails and talk you out of the craziest stuff and/or get you to seek help.

As for what to do about this, short of abolishing digital entertainment(not seriously proposing this), I don't know.

Not the mention is also promotes group think.

You start a woman hating blog, and its joined by fellow women haters, who all agree that women are evil bitches, it soon becomes fact that women are all evil bitches.

Just so I understand you correctly...if more people were armed and in more places mass shootings would become rarer?

ding ding ding, we have a winner.....

do you think anyone could rack up a large body count of victims if they decided to go on a shooting spree at a gun range?

this is going to sound so incredibly difficult to understand so i will explain as best i can. what do you think stops mass shooting sprees? a bullet to the bad guy usually from a cop. now, what if you didn't have a cop handy but there was an off duty cop carrying concealed? result is the same, off duty cop would stop the killer by shooting him dead. Now, what if you don't have an off duty cop but you have someone that has a concealed carry permit and has been shooting guns for 20 years? The result would still be the same.

How is this?

Only-Thing-That-Stops-A-Bad-Guy-300x199.jpg

aMNcz.jpg

why is the life of the president, his wife and his children more precious than my life or my wife and children? we're both humans with 1 life to live on Earth.

you will not see a mass shooting near a president...... why? because there's more armed people around so as soon as an idiot tried to go on a killing spree that person will only get off one or two shots before they're stopped.

I know, logic and facts confuse liberals but I hope i broke it down and explained it in a common sense manner......

Hmmm we must do something, but NOT what works everywhere else. Ok buddy.

In comes the gun nuts.. More guns make us safe rah rah.. Idiots. Enjoy your 3rd world murder rate.

do you think anyone could rack up a large body count of victims if they decided to go on a shooting spree at a gun range?

this is going to sound so incredibly difficult to understand so i will explain as best i can. what do you think stops mass shooting sprees? a bullet to the bad guy usually from a cop. now, what if you didn't have a cop handy but there was an off duty cop carrying concealed? result is the same, off duty cop would stop the killer by shooting him dead. Now, what if you don't have an off duty cop but you have someone that has a concealed carry permit and has been shooting guns for 20 years? The result would still be the same.

How is this?

Only-Thing-That-Stops-A-Bad-Guy-300x199.jpg

aMNcz.jpg

why is the life of the president, his wife and his children more precious than my life or my wife and children? we're both humans with 1 life to live on Earth.

you will not see a mass shooting near a president...... why? because there's more armed people around so as soon as an idiot tried to go on a killing spree that person will only get off one or two shots before they're stopped.

I know, logic and facts confuse liberals but I hope i broke it down and explained it in a common sense manner......

Lol at calling me liberal...

Still can't tell if you're trolling, but I'll bite...

Don't you think addressing root causes for these mass shootings should also be a priority, especially issues regarding mental health?

Lol at calling me liberal...

Still can't tell if you're trolling, but I'll bite...

Don't you think addressing root causes for these mass shootings should also be a priority, especially issues regarding mental health?

oh no im not calling you a liberal. its that i've seen a trend with liberals on this very subject matter that they have no idea what they're talking about.

but as far as mental health, I dont see how we could correct that and here's why.

for example, what if Mr. Smith was your normal, everyday law abiding citizen with no history of mental illness or criminal background. Now let's say he buys a gun for home defense.....

2 years later he develops depression, anxiety or some sort of other mental issue and next thing you know he goes out and starts shooting up a shopping mall

how would screening Mr. Smith 2 years before he went on his rampage stop this form happening today?

Or the shooter never getting his hands on a gun, Prevention Vs Cure.

Stopping motivated crazy people from getting guns in America is just not feasible. Just to many guns and too many people think its a god given right for everyone to own one.

Back