Ideas on how to curb mass shootings.

There's nothing to be done about them. People will occasionally go crazy and do crazy things. In a society with as many guns as the U.S., mass shootings will occur every so often no matter what policy you try to enact.

But keep in mind that homicide rates are much lower now than they were ten, twenty, thirty, and forty years ago. And these mass shooting events are aberrations even within the national homicide rate.

Homicide%20Rate.jpg

I thought this was a cool chart, but I don't endorse every political suggestion it points to.

It's easier to buy them a computer and an x-box. Let those two raise the kid. The problem is that we are raising a generation of terrorists with that formula.

We're producing class after class of whiney, entitled little idiots.

Find a way to stop the media from doing what the killers want - glorifying them endlessly.

I'm not sure how it could be done other than media heads having an agreement not to cover all the details of the killers lives and stupid troubles.

As well, I think your "1st" idea is a pretty good one. Teaching civics, philosophy, and even shocker, a little patriotism, is probably a good idea.

The "2nd" idea though I think would be used for politics and has the slippery ol slope danger of putting the bureaucracy too far into families. We have a society that picks up children who draw pictures of guns at school, giving them sweeping powers to test children seems... bad, unless they are causing active trouble which a lot of these psychos do in the teen years.

Go watch bowling for columbine.

Honestly, stopping the "everybody gets a trophy" culture we have developed here in the US would go a long way to curbing it, imo.

Speaking as a citizen of a country that probably employs the "everybody gets a trophy"-approach more than anyone else*, and has to date had exactly zero school shootings, I'd say this is not a good way to curb it.
It causes other problems in society, but not mass shootings. In fact it probably has the opposite effect.

*Sweden

Actual parenting may help in most of these instances.

this kids tooling around socal in a 80,000 BMW. dad's throwing cash at the problem. this guy has a very feminine metro sex look about him, most chicks don't really go for dudes that give off the "nice guy/creepy/"don't know if what's trying to get my phone number is a boy or a girl vibe" especially when they're younger.

The thread on the feminization of male youths in this country was spot on. Boys imo need to know that its okay to be aggressive, competitive, and "into" chicks in the right context and environment.

Maybe #5 on my list should have been a government ran and administered series of evaluations and tests one needs to pass before a common sense license is issued before you're allowed to procreate. I mean seriously you need a license to sell lemonade now in most cities, why not have a license and evaluations to see if you'd make a good parent?....... not that I'm advocating what I just wrote,but for the sake of argument would you be for or against?

The kid killed the same amount of people with a knife as he did with a gun, right?

Where's the thread on knife control?

Thanks and I agree. And because this kid had social issues, he needed his dad that much more. No legislation was gonna keep this kid from raping, murdering or whatever. He was gonna find someway to inflict some evil and some damage on as many people as he could.

Evil doesnt exist. Personal circumstances, ideas, emotions, etc are what provoke violent situations. Lots of people with shitty lives and easily available guns will create violent situations.

increase the availability and reduce the stigma of mental health treatment.

everything else suggested in this thread would create as many new problems as they fix.

also, its important to realize that mass shootings are EXTREMELY rare. youre more likely to drown in your own bathwater, than you are to be shot by a rampage killer.

The kid killed the same amount of people with a knife as he did with a gun, right?

Where's the thread on knife control?

why do people say this shit? no one will ever kill 30+ people with a knife. with a gun? it has happened, and will happen again.

I'm not in favor of parent licensing. Material gain seems to have overtaken most other goals in life. With the introduction of the internet into society, every hateful little loser can become a celebrity just because he felt like taking some other people out with him, only because mom gave him a computer instead of a hug. I don't know how to stop mass shootings without trampling rights, so all we can do is rely on the good will of our fellow man, and the forbearance of reptiles.

why do people say this shit? no one will ever kill 30+ people with a knife. with a gun? it has happened, and will happen again.

yet people will keep getting killed by knives.

Serious question. What is the difference between 10 people being killed at once by a spree killer, and 10 people being killed at different times by either a serial killer or a bunch of different killers?

The way I see it its not much, other than one gets more news coverage and fosters more fearmongering.

As a 'mentally unstable' person (just using the media's words predictably being parroted by so many now) I'm against being put in a national profile and prevented from purchasing a firearm. It is wrong. Why are we denied rights that others have because a few have snapped? It doesn't make sense. It's only because so many of us can't speak up about this that it would ever go through into law. I won't stand for it personally and I hope people will or would stand with me.

As a 'mentally unstable' person (just using the media's words predictably being parroted by so many now) I'm against being put in a national profile and prevented from purchasing a firearm. It is wrong. Why are we denied rights that others have because a few have snapped? It doesn't make sense. It's only because so many of us can't speak up about this that it would ever go through into law. I won't stand for it personally and I hope people will or would stand with me.
I agree with you.

Serious question. What is the difference between 10 people being killed at once by a spree killer, and 10 people being killed at different times by either a serial killer or a bunch of different killers?

The way I see it its not much, other than one gets more news coverage and fosters more fearmongering.

well with guns you can do both, and people do both. with knives though, unless youre tom cruise from the last samurai, your killing spree will be very limited. any goon can kill 25 people with a gun, though, if he plans his attack well.

well by mentally unstable a distinction must be made. if you are a lil depressed from let's say a break up (I was) then you should not be placed on the "no buy" list . however,if you are manic, bi polar, split personality, experience non chemically induced hallucinations, see dead people, talk to people who aren't there, or seriously clinically depressed then you should not be able to have a gun until you are cleared by a panel of psychologists.

I cant believe that anybody still thinks like this...a gun is OBVIOUSLY going to be more efficient to kill groups of people with..my god, this is nuts, its nuts that I even had to type that, like you didn't already understand that....

You can thank liberals. That's yet another problem. We have been convinced as a society that it is somehow "mean", to treat dangerous crazy people like they're dangerous crazy people.

There are plenty of things to criticize in our treatment of the mentally ill, but many of them come back to lack of funding and you can't blame all or even most of that on liberals.

There are plenty of things to criticize in our treatment of the mentally ill, but many of them come back to lack of funding and you can't blame all or even most of that on liberals.

Yes I can. But that's not what I mean. Liberals are the ones who push the "quality of life" argument. That it just isn't fair for dangerous people to be be put somewhere where they can't hurt a whole bunch of people.

Back