Ideas on how to curb mass shootings.

Make it politically incorrect for media to exploit mass shootings. Not officially making speech illegal, so no Constitutional concerns.

Sounds great, but who would support it among those that decide what is politically correct now a days?

You can thank liberals. That's yet another problem. We have been convinced as a society that it is somehow "mean", to treat dangerous crazy people like they're dangerous crazy people.

This kid in Santa Barbara killed 3 people because some girls wouldn't go on a date with him. The kid in Aurora a few years ago killed a bunch of people because he couldn't get into a Master's program. Kids aren't allowed to fail, to be disappointed, learn from it and move on. They're coddled all the way threw High School, into early adulthood, and then tossed out into the world where nobody really gives a crap about you, and have no idea how to deal with failure.

Both are good points. Lunatics seem to be everywhere around these parts, one even lives in my house. They're basically free to do whatever they want since they cant be convicted by law because they're sick, and nobody will lock them up because the loonhouses are filled to the brim. I'm honestly glad they dont have access to guns easily here.

This kid in Santa Barbara killed 3 people because some girls wouldn't go on a date with him. The kid in Aurora a few years ago killed a bunch of people because he couldn't get into a Master's program. Kids aren't allowed to fail, to be disappointed, learn from it and move on. They're coddled all the way threw High School, into early adulthood, and then tossed out into the world where nobody really gives a crap about you, and have no idea how to deal with failure.

The SB kid had a lot of issues. I don't know if the trophy mentality played into that or not, but it's posible.

the information about James Holmes, the Aurora shooter, doesn't sound right. IIRC he was already accepted into PhD program.

Here is what the wiki article says about his education:

In June 2011, Holmes enrolled as a Ph.D. student in neuroscience at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora.[35] He received a $21,600 grant from the National Institutes of Health, according to agency records, which was disbursed in installments from July 2011 to June 2012. Holmes also received a $5,000 stipend from the University of Colorado, Denver.[36][37] Though Holmes received a letter of acceptance to UIUC, where he was offered a $22,600 stipend and free tuition, he declined their offer without specifying a reason.[33] Reviewers of Holmes' application at UIUC remembered his application because he submitted a picture of himself with a llama.[33]

In 2012, his academic performance declined,[38] and he scored poorly on the comprehensive exam in the spring. The university was not planning to expel him. However, Holmes was in the process of withdrawing from the university.[39] Three days after failing a key oral exam at the university in early June 2012, Holmes dropped out of his studies without further explanation.[40] At the time of his arrest, he gave his occupation as "laborer."[41]

So I am not confident that the trophy culture played a part in that.

With our self inflicted limit on speech and ideas, you are probably right.

But perhaps some cultural movement based on realism and led by a great personality could accomplish it. It would be much better than the hollow causes we see today.

Oh, I totally agree. The US is quickly become the most absurd culture in the world. I shouldn't say "quickly becoming", it has been the most absurd culture in the world for a long time.

Sounds great, but who would support it among those that decide what is politically correct now a days?

I get what you're saying, that it's hard to craft political correctness against the media when the media is a significant tool used to manufacture political correctness. But I'm sure the Obama Administration could come up with some pretty clever means to make it happen should they wish to do so.

"This could have been my son"

Dad's need to be involved with their sons. Teach them morals and how to be a real man. Again, there is no government program or law that can fix the moral crisis in this country.

I agree totally. I don't know this last shooters father but being a big time Hollywood person more than likely meant that he didn't spend a whole lot of time teaching his son the basics of manhood southern California is thee rat race. some boys need to be told what to say to women almost like a basic life skills coach. it seems like a lot of fathers omit this responsibility and expect their sons to learn from trial and error.

Our media is one of the biggest problems that this country faces.

The SB kid had a lot of issues. I don't know if the trophy mentality played into that or not, but it's posible.

the information about James Holmes, the Aurora shooter, doesn't sound right. IIRC he was already accepted into PhD program.

Here is what the wiki article says about his education:

So I am not confident that the trophy culture played a part in that.

He had been rejected from a number of them. I know both Iowa and Alabama rejected him, and if I remember USC and another major California school. If I recall correctly, the one he got into wasn't in the field that was his top choice, so naturally a bunch of people just had to die.

Learn how to fail as a child. Learn to deal with that failure and move forward. Understand that not everyone is special. Recognize and reward hard work leading to success. We are so worried about self esteem as a child that we lose sight of the end state - a functional human being.

The time to experience failure or rejection for the first time is not when you are 16-20 years old.

Fuck your liberal educational agenda. It failed.

Oh, I totally agree. The US is quickly become the most absurd culture in the world. I shouldn't say "quickly becoming", it has been the most absurd culture in the world for a long time.

Kind of feeling you on that, and it is related to my plans to work abroad the next ooooh 20 years.

I get what you're saying, that it's hard to craft political correctness against the media when the media is a significant tool used to manufacture political correctness. But I'm sure the Obama Administration could come up with some pretty clever means to make it happen should they wish to do so.

"This could have been my son"

Not a bad idea... but this is America, there is no special interest group that supports "no media sensationalizing everything for cash."

And in fact, if President Obama even wanted to "This could have been my son" demagog the issue, he would get a call from many, many fundraising pals in media who would give him the old "The World is a Business" speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKkRDMil0bw

Very, very rich media people who make a whole, whole lot of money on turning the hysteria dial up to 11 and publishing everything about every killing.

How do we get past something like that money interest?

Kind of feeling you on that, and it is related to my plans to work abroad the next ooooh 20 years.

Life is far to easy in America, and we've given too many people who have no idea what they're talking about way too much power and say in how the country is run.

we cant teach children morals...I believe that's somehow "bigoted" or something? :icon_neut

every thing a child knows non intrinsically is taught to them by listening to interacting with, and observing people. you can most certainly teach and mold a child into what is considered "right" or acceptable behavior" by most cultures. I think this needs to be law there is an extreme moral decline in this country based on 1. kicking Judeo-Christian values out of the mainstream. 2. celebrating violent, and lewd behavior, think how violent our entertainment is, and how lewd our former Disney kids club actresses are for example. People who don't think the young girls that idolized Hannah Montana won't think it's okay to be a ho bag because Miley's one now. People underestimate how much influence these genres and media personalities can have on our children.

every thing a child knows non intrinsically is taught to them by listening to interacting with, and observing people. you can most certainly teach and mold a child into what is considered "right" or acceptable behavior" by most cultures. I think this needs to be law there is an extreme moral decline in this country based on 1. kicking Judeo-Christian values out of the mainstream. 2. celebrating violent, and lewd behavior, think how violent our entertainment is, and how lewd our former Disney kids club actresses are for example. People who don't think the young girls that idolized Hannah Montana won't think it's okay to be a ho bag because Miley's one now. People underestimate how much influence these genres and media personalities can have on our children.

Agreed. you are like a better version of Jack v Savage :icon_chee

I agree totally. I don't know this last shooters father but being a big time Hollywood person more than likely meant that he didn't spend a whole lot of time teaching his son the basics of manhood southern California is thee rat race. some boys need to be told what to say to women almost like a basic life skills coach. it seems like a lot of fathers omit this responsibility and expect their sons to learn from trial and error.

Thanks and I agree. And because this kid had social issues, he needed his dad that much more. No legislation was gonna keep this kid from raping, murdering or whatever. He was gonna find someway to inflict some evil and some damage on as many people as he could.

Actual parenting may help in most of these instances.

Actual parenting may help in most of these instances.

Hush with your logic. Who are you to suggest that people should actually be expected to interact with their own children?

Hush with your logic. Who are you to suggest that people should actually be expected to interact with their own children?

It's easier to buy them a computer and an x-box. Let those two raise the kid. The problem is that we are raising a generation of terrorists with that formula.

Maybe pay attention to the signs. The last kid had plenty of them.

Here's an idea: the media can forego high ratings and refuse to sensationalize mass shootings. Don't tell me that this latest douchebag didn't have it in the back of his head that his "manifesto" would be read and talked about, that he wouldn't have his 15 mins of posthumous fame.

Agree. if it was mandated that the mainstream media would not release the shooter's picture or face (big) MAYBE that may have a nominal effect on one's desire to be the "shooter"

Back