Ideas on how to curb mass shootings.

Or the shooter never getting his hands on a gun, Prevention Vs Cure.

Stopping motivated crazy people from getting guns in America is just not feasible. Just to many guns and too many people think its a god given right for everyone to own one.

well it sounds like you at least have a little understanding because you admit by making guns illegal that doesn't mean they'll all magically disappear and if a bad person wanted to get their hands on one then it wouldn't be hard to do so..... kinda like how drugs are illegal yet the people who want them can get drugs very easily.....

so since you understand that we'll always have guns, then why wouldn't we promote more good citizens that are responsible, caring and kind and promote gun safety, knowledge and training to these individuals? wouldn't that help rid of these sick bastards that go on shooting sprees if we had more armed and responsible citizens around?

well it sounds like you at least have a little understanding because you admit by making guns illegal that doesn't mean they'll all magically disappear and if a bad person wanted to get their hands on one then it wouldn't be hard to do so..... kinda like how drugs are illegal yet the people who want them can get drugs very easily.....

so since you understand that we'll always have guns, then why wouldn't we promote more good citizens that are responsible, caring and kind and promote gun safety, knowledge and training to these individuals? wouldn't that help rid of these sick bastards that go on shooting sprees if we had more armed and responsible citizens around?

Underlined, in America that is true, in Australia that is not true.

If I wanted to get a gun right now I have no fucking idea how I could do so. Honestly it would involve going to the dodgiest parts of town and asking the dodgiest people if they know where I can get one and then hoping they don't rob me.

Also more people carrying guns around will I feel lead to more people getting shot over minor things and sudden bouts of rage over minor shit that they would have forgotten not long after.

Really the problem is the people, I do think the fear culture in the US has something to do with it. American news is scary dude, everything and everyone is trying to kill you I am sure it weighs on people.

In comes the gun nuts.. More guns make us safe rah rah.. Idiots. Enjoy your 3rd world murder rate.

80% of gun murders are gang related. It's not the gun nuts. It's a much deeper issue, but you don't strike me as having that kind of depth.

Also more people carrying guns around will I feel lead to more people getting shot over minor things and sudden bouts of rage over minor shit that they would have forgotten not long after.

Of course that is more likely to happen. Perhaps the incidence will skyrocket from 1 in ten million to one in a million. I.e. probably never really matter as a potential cause of death to most everyone.

Meanwhile the incidence of people defending themselves will skyrocket too. That's how freedom works. Both good and bad come from it. Focusing on only the bad will never ever make for a legitimate argument.

And guns do not make safe places unsafe. An example I posted before was richardson texas. It's fucking texas. 100k people. A median age comparable to australia, 36 or so. Their murder rate, with all the guns you can bet people have in Texas, is 1-2 murders per year. The same as Australia per 100k. Where's this murderous culture you keep citing? This license to kill? The uncontrollable murderous urges? Is 100 thousand goddamned people not a big enough experiment for you? These stats go back years.

The murder rate comes from a completely different dynamic than the presence versus absence of guns. It's the presence of gangs and disenfranchised groups. Our inner cities are like 3rd world countries either way. Literally. Go check them out if you dare. It's no coincidence the murder rates there are like 3rd world countries too. Comparing those places to developed countries is beyond misleading. Mexico has far stricter gun control than the US. They kill each other there with guns that aren't even legal here. Or they chop their heads off..

You are full of shit and disregarding suicides among other things. Here is some depth for you smartass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

Some interesting stats from your source:

"People with a criminal record were also more likely to die as homicide victims.[15] Between 1990 and 1994, 75% of all homicide victims age 21 and younger in the city of Boston had a prior criminal record.[45] In Philadelphia, the percentage of those killed in gun homicides that had prior criminal records increased from 73% in 1985 to 93% in 1996.[15][46] In Richmond, Virginia, the risk of gunshot injury is 22 times higher for those males involved with crime.[47]"

fyi mild flaming is no longer allowed in this forum.

It won't stop unless you can account for every person's mental ability. As the population grows more teens like the one that went on a rampage feel neglected or are not properly educated coming from a hollywood family seems to detail a spoiled and everything should accept me or else mentality is very dangerous. Ego is the main killer of the mind and there is plenty in our world so you have to be cautious when mating or generations of fools will spring up. The only thing to do now is be aware of those that show the signs in every family. They should make if mandatory for every family member to keep an eye on all within their circle and if guns, or hate, uneasiness, tension, don't care attitude usually prevail they need help. Unless the populace declines immensely there is no capable way at this time to evaluate billions of people on a weekly basis for mental stability. You take away the guns, there are knives. The only tool that needs to be sharpened is the mind. Our earthly mentality is rather weak when utilizing it with logic. Don't point fingers it's all a numbers game. If overwhelmed what do you do?

Last edited:
I've really been wanting to visit the states for the past few years, but I'm honestly paranoid and scared to after reading about mass shootings almost every month.

For Americans, I'm really curious if these mass shootings have in anyway affected your way of living? Is it something you worry about when you're out with friends/families?

I've really been wanting to visit the states for the past few years, but I'm honestly paranoid and scared to after reading about mass shootings almost every month.

For Americans, I'm really curious if these mass shootings have in anyway affected your way of living? Is it something you worry about when you're out with friends/families?

The shootings have occured everywhere, schools, theaters, quiet neighborhoods, etc. no place can escape mentally weak development no matter if you leave the planet it will always follow. We have to strengthen the resolve of thoughts and concentrate on mental development rather than business administration around the world. :icon_lol: No one is safe really every country either has a stabbing, or conflict you should know why by now it's been a long time and no focus on order rather expansion.

This kid in Santa Barbara killed 3 people because some girls wouldn't go on a date with him. The kid in Aurora a few years ago killed a bunch of people because he couldn't get into a Master's program. Kids aren't allowed to fail, to be disappointed, learn from it and move on. They're coddled all the way threw High School, into early adulthood, and then tossed out into the world where nobody really gives a crap about you, and have no idea how to deal with failure.

The Aurora guy was an academic master. He had a 3.95 GPA.

None of your ideas will work because they don't address the problem.

Suicide is a socially communicable disease.

The mass shootings are another method of suicide, ie the same neural pathways that are involved in suicides are also involved in mass killings.

There are two ways to curb a spate of suicide/mass killings:

1: remove the method. If guns were not accessible the people involved would likely not commit said acts. My evidence for this is the gas composition change in the UK 1970's. Once gassing oneself in the oven wasn't possible, the suicide rate dropped by 30% and didn't return.

2: remove the socially communicable element. Stop the reporting of such mass shootings. Then people will gradually stop being inspired to commit such acts as a socially acceptable way out.

Both are not possible while you Americans champion unrestricted media and widespread availability of guns.

People saying it's a mental health issue are part of a widespread stigmatisation of the mentally ill. Mental illness is basically a normal human experience. This is like America's war on drugs. It will be a massive spend of money, a booming industry of invasive monitoring of the publics state of mind, a stigmatising of 1 in 4 people and zero reduction in the actual problem.

So so Fucking backwards.

People saying it's a mental health issue are part of a widespread stigmatisation of the mentally ill. Mental illness is basically a normal human experience. This is like America's war on drugs. It will be a massive spend of money, a booming industry of invasive monitoring of the publics state of mind, a stigmatising of 1 in 4 people and zero reduction in the actual problem.

So so Fucking backwards.

What are you talking about? Why is mental health so different from physical health that its pathology can not be identified and its sufferer placed on a treatment pathway? Our mental health coverage (in the grand scheme of things) only recently obtained parity with conventional medical care. Mental health has a long way to go, in some ways we are still in the "therapeutic bloodletting" stages of mental health.

What are you talking about? Why is mental health so different from physical health that its pathology can not be identified and its sufferer placed on a treatment pathway? Our mental health coverage (in the grand scheme of things) only recently obtained parity with conventional medical care. Mental health has a long way to go, in some ways we are still in the "therapeutic bloodletting" stages of mental health.

Actually, my belief is that mental health is not different from physical health.

The problem, is similar to that of food poisoning (I'm sick with campylobacter at the moment and it seems an appropriate, if reaching analogue). It's incidence is largely uncontrollable as it's occurrence is due to normal human behaviour. Once the infection has taken hold it usually runs it's course before treatment is applied because:

A: people do not report sickness to authority

B: by the time authority becomes aware the disease has peaked.

You have to either reduce the vector, in this analogue that means reducing people's like of chicken, or availability.

Or you can mitigate the contamination by instigating more rigorous health and safety, to do so would be to induce draconian controls on people's behaviour in their own kitchens.

We could hold one big massive shooting of 7 billion people. This should reduce the number of shootings drastically

Back