i want your opinions on this (boxing vs mma)

Everything you heard/read is based on the words of Dana White. Meltzer has never published an estimate for that PPV as far as I know.

He talked about it on his podcast thing or whatever, he didn't give an official number but he didn't disagree with the claim. I remember seeing someone tweet it out on twitter because I don't subscribe to wrestling observer. I mean it could have only done a million or less, we really don't know. Meltzer gives good estimates but sometimes he's a little high or a little low.

He talked about it on his podcast thing or whatever, he didn't give an official number but he didn't disagree with the claim. I remember seeing someone tweet it out on twitter because I don't subscribe to wrestling observer. I mean it could have only done a million or less, we really don't know. Meltzer gives good estimates but sometimes he's a little high or a little low.

Meltzer's estimates have been very good the few times we've actually seen the actual numb4ers made public such as with the Couture situation. Of course he's going to be off on some events simply because he uses a consistent formula to calculate something with inconsistent consumer patterns (in regards to percentages purchased by homes with satellite or cable). But what has been consistent is that every PPV estimate that has been written into the books has come from Meltzer himself. The one exception so far has been 196 in which the number came from Dana White. i.e. the promoter of the event who's job it is is to talk up his promotion and the fighters fighting under it. Why Meltzer never came up with his own estimate I do not know. Maybe his estimates would show similar numbers. Or maybe he doesn't want to undermine the number Dana already put out by coming up wityh a lower estimate. Or maybe he didn't even bother to compile an estimate out there since the MMA media already ran with the number Dana put out a few days after the event. Who knows. But trusting only the words of a promoter who has a long history of being a complete bullshitter ain't exactly the smartest thing to do me thinks.

I think it could come close to if not surpass 2 million. The first fight did huge buys on a week's notice, there is more anticipation for this one to see if Conor can rebound and if Nate can stop him again. Nate has really been out in the mainstream here as well getting some shine.

Coming off what happened last fall in Australia, Tate-Holm helped sell PPVs and a good chunk of them too. Johnson-Teixeira doesn't.

Coming off what happened last fall in Australia, Tate-Holm helped sell PPVs and a good chunk of them too. Johnson-Teixeira doesn't.

That's a good point, Holm was hot off the huge "upset" and for as great of a fight that Rumble vs Glover is, neither guy is much of a draw.

Meltzer's estimates have been very good the few times we've actually seen the actual numb4ers made public such as with the Couture situation. Of course he's going to be off on some events simply because he uses a consistent formula to calculate something with inconsistent consumer patterns (in regards to percentages purchased by homes with satellite or cable). But what has been consistent is that every PPV estimate that has been written into the books has come from Meltzer himself. The one exception so far has been 196 in which the number came from Dana White. i.e. the promoter of the event who's job it is is to talk up his promotion and the fighters fighting under it. Why Meltzer never came up with his own estimate I do not know. Maybe his estimates would show similar numbers. Or maybe he doesn't want to undermine the number Dana already put out by coming up wityh a lower estimate. Or maybe he didn't even bother to compile an estimate out there since the MMA media already ran with the number Dana put out a few days after the event. Who knows. But trusting only the words of a promoter who has a long history of being a complete bullshitter ain't exactly the smartest thing to do me thinks.

He hasn't really been publishing them like he had in the past, maybe he's trying to get more subscribers to get that insider info or maybe just busy with the UFC sale and WWE related things. I'm not sure why really.

I still picture the skinny Dutch kid when I hear his name. Ubereem was an era that I mostly skipped.
Alister, the simultaneous K-1 World Champion and Strike force Heavyweight World Champions was a very scary man.

You missed out on a lot of good Strikeforce action then, Nac. Not necessarily with Overeem mind you. But at the time I thought Strikeforce routinely put on better shows than did the UFC during those years, and did so with a pretty strong stable of fighters under contract to them.
It's the main reason the UFC bought them out. For their stable of fighters, was ver very on par with the UFC's. As a matter of fact all of the guys that became Champs after the "merger" became UFC Champs.

Its not a shitty thread because everyone answer very well, you don't. That's because you dont have any idea what i'm talking about. You dont know shit of mma and boxing
Fuck off rookie, get your English tight before you come at me. It was a shitty thread subject that's been overdone by can trollers way better than you. The only reason people came back was because it actually got a response after half a day sitting dormant.....From me.

Sit back dude and enjoy the masterpiece of a good forum community holding up a thread that was almost wastelanded due to an incoherently written and stupidly contrived subject.

It's the main reason the UFC bought them out. For their stable of fighters, was ver very on par with the UFC's. As a matter of fact all of the guys that became Champs after the "merger" became UFC Champs.

Speaking of, has that Ms Cyborg vs Rousey fight been signed yet? No? Well then add that as another high profile fight that MMA fans have been clamouring for years now that has yet to take place.

The recency of the merger with Strikeforce also shows that this business of the UFC having most of the best fighters in the world under one roof as being a new phenomenon. Up until only a few years ago there was always a very strong #2 to the UFC (or to Pride when they were tops last decade). MMA fans lost out on a ton of big fights during those years too, as the top promotion would typically frown upon any cross promotion events with their rival promotions.

Fuck off rookie, get your English tight before you come at me. It was a shitty thread subject that's been overdone by can trollers way better than you. The only reason people came back was because it actually got a response after half a day sitting dormant.....From me.

Sit back dude and enjoy the masterpiece of a good forum community holding up a thread that was almost wastelanded due to an incoherently written and stupidly contrived subject.

Haha. Come now, Lefty. Be nice to the poor guy.

Ok, sorry. Caught me in a bad mood. Came here to relax and saw that.

The UFC is streets ahead in promotion and access to product. Boxing suffers from the age old problems. Just look at the WWs and the LHWs, probably the two most fertile of the glamour divisions, we have a host of great fighters in each with no idea who's the best, it's fucking frustrating.

I watch both sports and better fights get made more often in MMA (UFC) Roy Jones Jr. even said this when he was calling a fight on HBO. I can't remember who was fighting (It may have been during the Vargas Salido fight), but he said something along the lines of this is why the UFC passed up boxing, because they're match making is more fan friendly and that boxing needs to follow suit.

I like boxing so much but damn seems to be dead nowadays.

Do you think mma matchmaking >>>>>>>>>>>boxing matchmaking?

May vs pac was done later than fans expected

Now canelo run from golovkin, pac vs vargas is bullshit

If canelo fights khan, boxing fans say that is bullshit because of weight issues

If anderson silva moves to fight a heavier fighter like cormier, mma fans say its a great fight we all want to see that

What happen to boxing nowadays?
Matchmaking is probably the biggest difference but it's because the UFC is basically a monopoly. They are the equivalent of the WBC or one of the other orgs signing the top 3 or 4 promoters to exclusive contracts so they have most of the talent pool. They don't look to protect and pad their fighters' records as much as in boxing. It's too divided and the fighters make too much money taking mismatches in boxing.

I do not think that. I do think they (UFC,ZUFFA) do an amazing job of convincing MMA fans than everyone in their next PPV is the cream of the crop and that a guy with less than 10 pro fights is currently the best there is. Fans think that everyone is elite in the UFC so a bad catchup simply isn't possible.
The UFC does have most of the best MMA fighters under contract. They have certain fighters they hype up but those guys are exciting and sell PPVs. Ronda and Conor maybe aren't all time greats but they put on a good show.

Imagine if Mayweather fought someone the level of Nate Diaz. Fans would take a shit on him if they could get close enough. MMA fans are clamouring for it.

It just shows that most mma fans are still in it because of the fad. They don't really know anything but what they're told. Congrats on the UFC for being able to fool so many people so often, for so long.
I disagree with you about it just being a fad, but that is one thing I hate about the UFC, late replacements. If one fighter pulls out with less than a month to go, a couple of weeks or a couple of days even, then just reschedule it. I understand guys trained hard and want to get paid but it's not fair to the fans.

They fight top competition as much as MMA guys do. Which is not always.
MMA fighters are not as protected as in boxing. They don't have the luxury of being able to call themselves champ and hide behind all the paper titles we have in boxing. Compare Jon Jones' record to Mayweather's. Look at Garcia's string of opponents since he fought Lucas.

Thats just not true on any level. Their top guys fight bums all the time.

Further, theres no where near the talent pool that boxing has.
Mmm, not really, who fights bums all the time? Boxing’s talent pool is split up among many promoters. The UFC has maybe 80% of the best fighters to themselves.

In a nutshell, MMA fighters are NOT great fighters. There are few and far between. Most are at a decently high level, but when supposed best in the division champions are getting KO'd something silly after a couple title defenses it only waters down the parity that there still is in MMA. Is that better for the fan? Sure, it makes for unpredictable fights, but ti sit here and say, all these guys are great because anyone can win is disingenuous, when we all know that the "great" fighters in any sport find a way to overcome adversity and still win. If you have champions that are losing because they had a lapse of concentration, didn't train as hard and or are losing in one sided contests, it's because the divisions just aren't as great as some would like to think they are.

The UFC os a monster hype machine that turned itself into a multi billion dollar enterprise convincing many people of just that. Being the monopolists they are I would love to see a group of promoter/managers that figured out a way to make the MMA fighters more money by lining up their own fights in venues they covered themselves and go the way boxers do and tell Dana White and his croonies to go fuck themselves. I think the pitch wouldn't be too hard. You can now promote whatever brand you want to, get as many sponsors as you want, wear whatever you want, commercials everything without the UFCs intervention. And be called a true World Champion fighting g anyone from any promotion anywhere in the world. Imagine guys like Cain Velasquez, Overeem, John Jones, and even GSP in his comeback saying fuck it, I know my marketing power, I don't need the UFC. Shit even Brock or maybe Honda vs Cyborg finally.
That's where you have to call bullshit on guys that cherry pick and worry about their record more than testing themselves to the limit. Are you trying to tell me RDA isn't great because he lost to Alvarez? It's not like in boxing that you can take a knee or just get on your bike or clinch to survive.

Talent pool does matter. There are a few top tier guys in MMA and the rest dont sniff that status.

Furthermore, most UFC's top fighters are hype machines which get brutally derailed.
It doesn't sound like you watch much MMA. Ronda and Conor are not the UFC's top fighters just their top sellers.

Back