i want your opinions on this (boxing vs mma)

Tiger didn't lose the big ones. You can't win Every Smaller tournament in golf it's impossible. And Serena may have gotten upset but go ahead and count out the last majors she's won in a row before then...Wimbledon, French Open, US Open etc. I'm not saying people have to go undefeated...especially when they compete 80-90 times a year like NBA, tennis games per match within a tournament. The point is when you fight once maybe twice a year and you lose every other one??? You may not be that great. I can't believe youre comparing other sports where they play way more times per year with a "champion" that would only has 12 fights TOTAL...

Tiger didn't win every big tournament otherwise he would have like 40 majors instead of the 16 he has or whatever it is. The point is that dominant athletes lose all the time, that's what sport is. Hell I'll even give an mma example. Khabib is 23-0 and a world Sambo champ but he only has a couple of really good wins in mma. Most of his record is padded with wins over guys that aren't near his level.

Werdum submitted Overeem in Pride with a kimura, good post though.

I remember Overeem from Pride. He was never all that good, at all. I mostly remember him for losing fights. Then I stopped watching MMA for a few years, and I could not believe how massive he became.

But now people talk about him like he's an amazing fighter. No, he's the same guy who was getting his ass kicked in Japan, but now permanently altered by steroids.

It's not all MMA fans, but it is a major part of MMA fan culture. Look in the heavies, and count how many threads have "GOAT" in the title on any given day. It's really strange to me.

I wouldn't disagree with you at all on that. The sport is so young too, good fighters today may just be average fighters 30 years from now. Can only judge based off of the time frame we have though. I enjoy the parity of the sport because it makes it interesting and so that you have to tune in. But I also enjoyed the times where Anderson and GSP reigned for years because that type of dominance you want to tune in to, to see if they can keep winning or if they have finally run into someone who has their number. Preferably you would have a little of both. I don't agree with the notion that belt's turning over so much makes the divisions weak however, that just means to me that there are many quality fighters and credible challengers, maybe without that one dominant fighter reigning over it.

I remember Overeem from Pride. He was never all that good, at all. I mostly remember him for losing fights. Then I stopped watching MMA for a few years, and I could not believe how massive he became.

But now people talk about him like he's an amazing fighter. No, he's the same guy who was getting his ass kicked in Japan, but now permanently altered by steroids.

There's no doubt he used the supplements lol But he has a great resume, look at who he has beaten and how he beat them, then add in the fact that he won a world championship kickboxing. There's something to be said for that. Reem has some bad losses though, some fights he had no business losing like the Browne and Bigfoot fights.

I still picture the skinny Dutch kid when I hear his name. Ubereem was an era that I mostly skipped.

It's 2016 so this I'm assuming this can't really be a revelation to OP but here goes:

-UFC has Z level athletes on PEDS
-Bush league talent pool
-Meathead promoters, announcers and CEOs
-Everything is hyped to the max ie. Sage Northcutt, Ronda Rousey, Washed-up ring card girls, Joe Rogan...
-Scum bag fan base that hate lower weight fighters and love to justify fighters getting their brains splattered for minimum wage.
-Everyone is GOAT or legendary status after beating up the last GOAT champ.
-Rebook sponsorship (I guess its better than Condom depot)

On the plus side
-We get to see the best fight the best every weekend (ahem..sarcasm)
-Free fight nights
-Guys and gals with crappy tattoos
-Trashy ring entrances
-Bork Lesnar
-Keeps the juvenile trash wrestling fan base away from boxing

I still picture the skinny Dutch kid when I hear his name. Ubereem was an era that I mostly skipped.

You missed out on a lot of good Strikeforce action then, Nac. Not necessarily with Overeem mind you. But at the time I thought Strikeforce routinely put on better shows than did the UFC during those years, and did so with a pretty strong stable of fighters under contract to them.

You missed out on a lot of good Strikeforce action then, Nac. Not necessarily with Overeem mind you. But at the time I thought Strikeforce routinely put on better shows than did the UFC during those years, and did so with a pretty strong stable of fighters under contract to them.

Strikeforce was great and had elite talent, just didn't have the depth of the ufc.

MMA fans are more forgiving than boxing fans. They dont care if their fighters get KOed, they just need to have a couple more wins and they are right back to the top again. In boxing it's not that easy to get the fans back, imo.

MMA fans dont even care if their fighters get caught for PEDs. Silva gets caught cheating and he's back on cards and people still call him the goat. Same thing will happen when Jones comes back, it will all be forgotten. Could you imagine if Bolt gets done for roids in the Olympics? His career would FINISHED, tarred with the cheat tag for the rest of his life. Or he would end up like Gaitlin who every hates and wants to see lose becasue he is a cheat. In MMA the fans just brush it under the carpet like it never happened and go back to calling them "goats" lol.

MMA fans are more forgiving than boxing fans. They dont care if their fighters get KOed, they just need to have a couple more wins and they are right back to the top again. In boxing it's not that easy to get the fans back, imo.

MMA fans dont even care if their fighters get caught for PEDs. Silva gets caught cheating and he's back on cards and people still call him the goat. Same thing will happen when Jones comes back, it will all be forgotten. Could you imagine if Bolt gets done for roids in the Olympics? His career would FINISHED, tarred with the cheat tag for the rest of his life. Or he would end up like Gaitlin who every hates and wants to see lose becasue he is a cheat. In MMA the fans just brush it under the carpet like it never happened and go back to calling them "goats" lol.

To be fair we all know that Bolt and those olympians are on something. Doesn't mean steroids but they are using enhancers, everyone is. Sucks but that's what sports consist of.

I would say you should take some time to visit with the folks upstairs, Georgie, but I really wouldn't wish that upon you or anybody. But, save for a select few instances, the fans up there basically do the opposite of what you're trying to credit them for.

Why is everyone giving TS shit?

This year we have 4 competitive boxing matchups, while UFC has a good matchup every event.

Thurman/Porter got a shit load of media time
Crawford/Postol got shit numbers but lots of media time
Santa/Frampton got shit numbers but lots of media time
Ward/Kovalev will get shit numbers but lots of media time

Crawford was big in the boxing world, even though he got shit numbers, now hes huge in the boxing world.

You wonder why Crawford didnt get any coverage when he fought Lundy?
You wonder why Adonis didnt get any coverage when he fought Williams last week?
You wonder why Deontay didnt get any coverage when he fought Arreola?

Fight good people and you will get coverage, and even if you do shit numbers, they will eventually go up.

For mma I'm guessing. I don't think they will break the total one year number but 202 I'm guessing will do more buys than any ppv they have ever done. They are likely to do between 7 and 8 million buys, similar to last year I'd say.
I doubt Conor/Nate 2 will be bigger than UFC 100.

Id say 1 million and at the highest, 1.2 million

It's 2016 so this I'm assuming this can't really be a revelation to OP but here goes:

-UFC has Z level athletes on PEDS
-Bush league talent pool
-Meathead promoters, announcers and CEOs
-Everything is hyped to the max ie. Sage Northcutt, Ronda Rousey, Washed-up ring card girls, Joe Rogan...
-Scum bag fan base that hate lower weight fighters and love to justify fighters getting their brains splattered for minimum wage.
-Everyone is GOAT or legendary status after beating up the last GOAT champ.
-Rebook sponsorship (I guess its better than Condom depot)
Still better than whatever boxings got this year.

Why is everyone giving TS shit?

This year we have 4 competitive boxing matchups, while UFC has a good matchup every event.

Thurman/Porter got a shit load of media time
Crawford/Postol got shit numbers but lots of media time
Santa/Frampton got shit numbers but lots of media time
Ward/Kovalev will get shit numbers but lots of media time

Crawford was big in the boxing world, even though he got shit numbers, now hes huge in the boxing world.

You wonder why Crawford didnt get any coverage when he fought Lundy?
You wonder why Adonis didnt get any coverage when he fought Williams last week?
You wonder why Deontay didnt get any coverage when he fought Arreola?

Fight good people and you will get coverage, and even if you do shit numbers, they will eventually go up.

"while UFC has a good matchup every event."

The next UFC event is this Saturday. What fight on the card would you say falls under the category of "good matchup", Queen?

Alot of weird logicall over this thread.
i don't even know where to start.

"while UFC has a good matchup every event."

The next UFC event is this Saturday. What fight on the card would you say falls under the category of "good matchup", Queen?
LeeRoy vs Yair are 2 exciting B level fighters who dont give a shit and always go for the KO?

Do you know the boxing equivalent of that this year? Molina vs Provodnikov

LeeRoy vs Yair are 2 exciting B level fighters who dont give a shit and always go for the KO?

Do you know the boxing equivalent of that this year? Molina vs Provodnikov

Bullshit much?

Back