I want to stand out at tryouts....

training

White Belt
Reaction score
So please help me. I have a list of these lower body exercises. Please help me pick out the ones that will help my balance, speed, power, quickness, and coordination for my american football position(punt and kickoff return).

standard squats
overhead squats
pistols
bulgarian box squats(box around 5 to 6")
5-6" box lunges
zercher squats
deadlifts
romanian deadlifts
lateral step ups
zercher deadlifts
tire/sled dragging
standard lunges
crossover lunges

I know im asking a lot form yall but like I said I don't know what is gonna work the BEST. So please help. Also, upper body exercises.

standard bench presses
close grip bench presses
swiss ball dumbell bench presses
lateral dips
bent over rows
overhead press
overhead shrugs
chin ups(palm facing away)

And finally a rep scheme for an in between beginner/advanced lifter. Like I said I know its a lot but your help will be highly appreciated. So basically I need help with EVERYTHING. I figure a 3 to 4 day split. Rep scheme being main lifts: 4 sets of 4 and assistance lifts being 3 sets of 6 reps. But thats jus a guess. Thanks for everyones help and if you have any other suggestions or anything then tell them to me. As you can see I am trying to build a flawless routine for my sport position from scratch. I appreciate your help.

Get out there and return more kicks.

How much time do you have until the tryouts?

dye your hair a funny color. you got your attention, so then perform.

Spring training starts around mid to close to the end of summer time. Please guys im being serious!

training, you have to be a bit patient here, too. You'll probably get your responses here but not overnight.

I know to be patient but I just dont want people hijacking my thread because I am really serious about my training! Thanks for the site Rea and I understand Hulk.

Reakt said:
oh BTW Australian foltball and Rugby League > American Football

lol...

Okay, I've tried Rugby, fairly fun. Have you ever tried American Football? [Never tried Aussie Football, not even sure where I could get enough people to try it]

Remember, American Football and Canadian Football are enhancements on rugby :)

I'd drop the box squats, one of the zerchers and a lunge. Keep the rest and add power cleans or high pulls.

I'm assuming you are doing speed drills/sprint work.

Okay, give us some info. Age? Level of experience? How long until try-outs? Lifting experience? You definately will benefit with explosive movements (olympic style lifts) and some tough GPP. The most important thing is to return kicks.

Im 15 years old. Ive been lifting on and off since the 2005 year carried over to this year. I went all through my freshmen year which started with around 30 to 35 people. At the end, there were only around 12 to 15 people including myself. I got to get on the field long enough for the qb to spike the ball. I got on other times just for one play a game. I was always on kick off return but I was a blocker. I don't know why since I am 5'8" and weigh 130 or so pounds. My sophomore year, i couldnt play because spring training was mandatory and i had to baby sit my lil brother so i never could go. And I decided to start training as soon as i got training equipment(heavy bag, deisel tire to drag, a swiss ball, and a bench with weights).

Ive been running every now and then but I didnt put sprint work on the list cuz I knew i was gonna do it anyways. Im actually in very good shape and condition. I ran a mile in 6 min. and 24 sec.. Hardly any body fat. I dang sure aint lazy, and i am VERY determined.

Chad i checked out your training log. Would you call thsoe thing s you do like the tire flips, rope climbing and things like that gpp?

Well your focus should be around your core and lowerbody.

Ted-P said:
Well your focus should be around your core and lowerbody.

But there are so many core/lower body exercises. Which ones work the best or would be the best for my sports is what im trying to ask.

I kinda narrowed it down to what I think i should atleast consider keeping:

squats
overhead squats
pistols
box lunges
lateral side step ups
tire dragging
crossover lunges
sprint work

benchs
close grip benches
lateral dips
bento over rows
overhead press with shrug at the top
chins(palms away)
tire flips
zercher DL's
romanian DL's
deadlifts

Do you really want to specialize in returning kicks? You've got quite abit of time there and if you wanted, you could probably turn yourself into a mean killing machine of a linebacker or a tank-like running back.

IOW, you could focus on getting a fucking lot stronger.

Well see, our defense is stacked for the next season. All juniors and senior. Our special teams is horrible. I figured once i get noticed at my return abilities, then maybe the coaches will try me at other positions. Thats one of the main reasons why i am putting a good bit of emphasis in upper body exercises than what everyon is telling me to. Maybe i should take out the crossover lunges. Take away either the pistols or the overhead squats (prolly the pistols), either the zercher or romanian deadlifts. Maybe this:

PUSH
Bench presses
close grip bench presses
lateral dips
overhead press with shrug at the top
(not in that order)

PULL
bent over rows
chins(palms away)
tire flips
deadlifts
either romanian or zercher deadlifts
(not in that order)

LEGS
squats
overhead squats
box lunges
lateral side step ups
diesel tire dragging
sprint work
(and of course not in that order)

See anything now? What about a rep scheme? Should I add an extra day?

Surprised at the lack of response here.

Kinda disappointed too.

I'm just gonna throw things out there so people will start responding to this thread.

Your best bet is 3 sets x 10 reps for hypertrophy/strength for a while.

You should base your work out around bench, deadlift, and squat and rotate 2 or 3 assistant exercises with each workout instead of just choosing one assistant exercise.

And you need to do some direct core work not just stability work likedecline sit ups and knee raises and crap.

Ted-P said:
Surprised at the lack of response here.

Kinda disappointed too.

Me too. I fiqured from the thread about core work that i been reading where Hulk and Jack were at each other that I figured those exercises provided ample stability work. So I guess I should do a 4 day split then huh.

like a push day, pull day, leg day, and like a plyometric/stability work day.

I could add the sprint work, tire flips, pistols, and some plyometrics. Sound any better? 3x10 on every lift? I dont know, i havent been lifting long enough to know what works, but is that a considerable rep scheme?

But I look at all those exercises and all I see is OVER TRAINING stamped all across this thread. What do yall think?

To tell the truth Chad, speed is the last thing I am worried about. Im pretty dang fast compared to modt of the guys out there but the only thing they have on me is strength and jus raw size.

Back