I want to stand out at tryouts....

Im in the process of reading The Strongest Shall Survive. Its an old book on strength training for football. I am interested in the program for mma. One problem I have always had with powerlifting programs (like the one you are considering) is I have very little left to give at practice because my weight training is too taxing. This program addresses that issue and keeps things really simple.

The program is basically Squats, Bench and Power Cleans three times a week each. One day is a light day one medium and one heavy. The reasoning behind sticking primarily to these three lifts is squat hits all of the muscles in your legs and some in your back, bench hits your entire upper body and your lats and power cleans give you the explosivness you need for sports.

I plan on starting the program in a month or two after I finish the program Im working on now. If you are interested you can get the book here http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1278

HULKAMANIA said:
training, you have to be a bit patient here, too. You'll probably get your responses here but not overnight.
Believe that.

Returning kicks is all about making the first man miss which equates to quickness/agility/balance.
Squats, lunges, DLs, bench, chins will help your strength.

Shuttle runs (short distance to emphasize the lateral movement, running ladders, intervals on the stairs (hit em all don't skip any), jump rope will help your foot work.

Making the first guy miss comes from hip movement/dropping your center of gravity and moving laterally as fast as possible. Squats, lunges and tire/sled drags (emphasis on short burst with quick acceleration) will take care of your hips.

BTW, if you're returning kicks, it also helps to be fearless and slightly masochistic.
Good luck.

datadog said:
lol...

Okay, I've tried Rugby, fairly fun. Have you ever tried American Football? [Never tried Aussie Football, not even sure where I could get enough people to try it]

Remember, American Football and Canadian Football are enhancements on rugby :)

Rugby is a savages sport played by gentlemen. Football is a Gentlemen's sport played by savages.

If I were you I'd be doing Squats and Deadlifts like a hulk. 100 yard sprints, 50 yard sprints, everything timed to work on speed and quickness. Run with tires attached to you, parachutes, if you've got training partners use an elastic band and train with that. Practice returns, working on cuts so you can emulate the Human Joystick.

dogmai said:
the Human Joystick.

That guy was CRAZY!! I came to the conclusion that he has no back bone. Thanks alot guys. So from all this, I get running, squats, deadlifts, benches, squats, and hip flexor exercises. Ball handling, gaining weight and speed, am I missing anything? Keep it simple with the weights and train the running like crazy. Ok i think I got it! Thanks people, I appreciate it! I gotta set something up so I can start Monday. If anybody wants to help me or tell me anything else, pm it to me so that this thread can go away. My q is answered so I dont want the mods to get mad at me for bringing it up all the time.

Go to the Bigger Faster Stronger website, and do the program they have listed. I'm a community college strength coach and also work with some highschool football players off season in private practice. The BFS program is an excellent program for football

training said:
So please help me. I have a list of these lower body exercises. Please help me pick out the ones that will help my balance, speed, power, quickness, and coordination for my american football position(punt and kickoff return).

standard squats
overhead squats
pistols
bulgarian box squats(box around 5 to 6")
5-6" box lunges
zercher squats
deadlifts
romanian deadlifts
lateral step ups
zercher deadlifts
tire/sled dragging
standard lunges
crossover lunges

I know im asking a lot form yall but like I said I don't know what is gonna work the BEST. So please help. Also, upper body exercises.

standard bench presses
close grip bench presses
swiss ball dumbell bench presses
lateral dips
bent over rows
overhead press
overhead shrugs
chin ups(palm facing away)

And finally a rep scheme for an in between beginner/advanced lifter. Like I said I know its a lot but your help will be highly appreciated. So basically I need help with EVERYTHING. I figure a 3 to 4 day split. Rep scheme being main lifts: 4 sets of 4 and assistance lifts being 3 sets of 6 reps. But thats jus a guess. Thanks for everyones help and if you have any other suggestions or anything then tell them to me. As you can see I am trying to build a flawless routine for my sport position from scratch. I appreciate your help.

some people might laugh. jump rope or run bleachers for cardio..........really helps footwork

Back