I take back everything I ever said about any other show comparing to The Wire

You right, dog

• Yes

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 42.9%

• Total voters
They dont compare a show to the complete work of Balzac for nothing.

I haven't watched it in a few years, and there are so many discussions comparing The Wire with other shows.

Because it's my favorite, I allowed myself to consider that maybe I was being biased, and others might have their own, equally valid opinions.

No. Just no. I'm watching it for the sixth or seventh time and there are STILL things I'm finding for the first time.

The Wire has a depth of storytelling and richness of narrative that are simply unparalleled. The complex interplay between such a wide body of developed characters staggers the imagination. The show is brutal and honest and makes the difficult choices instead of yielding to the popular. Characters make human decisions and change significantly over time as a result of their experiences.

It's a masterpiece and nothing else comes close.

I get that other people prefer different shows, but better? Not by any honest metric.

Haven't seen this level of nuthuggery over a TV show in quite a while.

I pity the man who doesn't have it in him to appreciate excellence.

The Wire is one of my favorites but saying nothing comes close is absurd. You're like that guy who said that Breaking Bad ruined television for him and he couldn't enjoy anything else

<36>

I haven't watched it in a few years, and there are so many discussions comparing The Wire with other shows.

Because it's my favorite, I allowed myself to consider that maybe I was being biased, and others might have their own, equally valid opinions.

No. Just no. I'm watching it for the sixth or seventh time and there are STILL things I'm finding for the first time.

The Wire has a depth of storytelling and richness of narrative that are simply unparalleled. The complex interplay between such a wide body of developed characters staggers the imagination. The show is brutal and honest and makes the difficult choices instead of yielding to the popular. Characters make human decisions and change significantly over time as a result of their experiences.

It's a masterpiece and nothing else comes close.

I get that other people prefer different shows, but better? Not by any honest metric.

Yes, you’re right, the Wire is the goat.

817gtUPJBa8Au6oeCNmfLM1QOeDBjOebL54ZtbcoPaTc8ZEv1EFORyFuzl5bLhbMdsDTRGA6ruk3WilptD3MehMZo-2Lv052nnkSKkIy10AZCKHNrgF2cvoCpU1GnET1NMN3KIKIhT8H-WfYm751iu6qMOuwOfEV7OA

It's a great show. A solid top five or ten of all time.

But Sopranos is the obvious GOAT.

I loved The Wire but watching a show 6 times might be an indicator of maybe a little too much free time buddy.

Im currently on my third viewing of it. On episode 8 of season 2 right now. Still have it below The Sopranos as TV GOAT.

Just finished the Deadwood movie yesterday. As a whole that moved Deadwood up near the top for me, but The Wire has still got to be #1.

I agree it's the best, i have the series on Afghan Bazaar DVD set and i rewatch it every other year or so

That being said, the Shield has been growing on me immensely, it's not better but i think i like it more.

The real genius with The Wire is that it is an allegory for how societies problems have out grown our institutions ability to deal with them. Each season takes a look at a different institutions, police, schools, politicians, the press and unions with an incredibly detailed and realistic crime story woven between them all.

I am not aware of another show that has even attempted this. It's like literature for TV.

Last edited:
Sopranos and breaking bad as mentioned before.
I even take OZ over the wire.
But i dont like to much (US) politics in my shit.
I may even take the first seasons of twd and lost over the wire in terms of action and suspense.

And if we talk mini series to i liked the old series i think was called the lost room.
Band of brothers was really something special.
I finished dark last week. I thought ibwas a great show to.

I watched half of the first season. That was the most boring ass show I've ever seen. Then, to make things worse, every latte sipping hipster shit I told was like, "Oh, you gotta get to season 2. That's where it really picks up." Listen up you trendy fucks, if I have to watch a whole season before I get to a minute of compelling theatre, that's not character building, that's cinematic Stockholm Syndrome. You've just watched it for so long you think it's good.

Come at me. My body is ready.

Reactions: Zer
I watched it like two years ago or maybe last year. I didn't think it was worth it. The second season immediately removes it from the top of the list. That whole dock season was fucking garbage and I almost gave up on the show right then and there.

I was never really that into TV shows, but I'm guessing if I did pick one I should consider The Wire? Is it better than Breaking Bad (haven't seen that either)? Only one I actually finished was House, but I always like show revolving around medicine/hospitals.

I was never really that into TV shows, but I'm guessing if I did pick one I should consider The Wire? Is it better than Breaking Bad (haven't seen that either)? Only one I actually finished was House, but I always like show revolving around medicine/hospitals.
Neither of them are comparable to HOUSE, which is a Sherlock Holmes procedural where every episode is essentially the same formula. BREAKING BAD would be closer in tone, as both are highly stylized and nowhere near reality. THE WIRE by comparison seems plain and no-frills; it doesn't pop or shock or do the cliffhanger thing. Almost documentarian, but editorialized.

It's a treatise on life in Baltimore, and how similar we are despite our very different backgrounds and superficial goals. It's not for everyone, and you may find more thrilling moments and performances elsewhere. Again, there's no Cousin Larry here.

PS: I adore HOUSE.

Back