I take back everything I ever said about any other show comparing to The Wire

You right, dog

• Yes

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 42.9%

• Total voters
There are a handful of shows I would place above it, but The Wire is certainly top shelf quality regardless.

I admire your enthusiasm but Prison Break is far superior and arguably has two of the finest seasons of any long running TV show ever made (1 and 2).

Justified (a close second for me) would be disappointed with this thread by the way.
Lol no

The scope in terms of breadth and depth is incomparable

Its great, along with the sopranos and Curb as by far the best tv shows ever.

The other really good shows that people mention are not even in the same league.

I stopped watching after the first season. Not sure why because I did enjoy it. Just didn't suck me in I guess.

The Wire was too anti-drama for me. I made it through the first season and I just didn't want to watch it anymore

Watched it when I got hurt at work and was laid up for a week. It was cool because I have a lot of buddies from Baltimore that use to tell me stories about the way drugs are sold there (it’s different than everywhere else) so it was cool to see a lot of what they described on a fckin tv show.

I only ever watched the first two seasons. There weren’t any others out yet, or I would have watched them all. Never went back to it for some reason, but I really should. I’m not sure I’ve seen enough of the best drama shows to pick a number one.

I started rewatching it now. I think of you when I see Lester Freeman (no homo). I'm watching it for the first time in 12 years and don't remember 90% of the things.

I'll grant it number 1 (although it's a tough spot between it and another show for me.) Idunno about "nothing comes close" though.

The only show in the same league is The Sopranos.

Homicide might have given it a run if it had been an HBO show and not network. Pembleton's full dress salute is still one of the most powerful moments I've ever seen on television and only a few old guys like me will remember what a big deal it was... But it's still a major part of television history. There's a reason so many of us considered Homicide the greatest police show of all time for decades.

I admire your enthusiasm but Prison Break is far superior and arguably has two of the finest seasons of any long running TV show ever made (1 and 2).

Justified (a close second for me) would be disappointed with this thread by the way.

Justified is one of my favorite shows, but Prison Break? Really?

The only show that I enjoy more is Hannibal, but that's because Hannibal is surreal and audacious. It's more of what I'm looking for in entertainment.

The Wire is the only show of its kind that I've watched more than once, and that says a lot.

I don't know if it's "The Best" but it's in my top 5 for sure. It had some slow moments to me. But it's the show that probably hit me the hardest and stuck with me the most.

My Top Tier:
Breaking Bad
The Wire
Band of Brothers (hard to compare b/c it's only 10 hours)
Seinfeld
It's Always Sunny in Philly
Better Call Saul

Top Ranked show I didn't like:
The Sopranos

Top Ranked I haven't seen:
The Shield
Deadwood

I don't know if it's "The Best" but it's in my top 5 for sure. It had some slow moments to me. But it's the show that probably hit me the hardest and stuck with me the most.

My Top Tier:
Breaking Bad
The Wire
Band of Brothers (hard to compare b/c it's only 10 hours)
Seinfeld
It's Always Sunny in Philly
Better Call Saul

Top Ranked show I didn't like:
The Sopranos

Top Ranked I haven't seen:
The Shield
Deadwood

I don't normally include Band of Brothers in these discussions because it's a miniseries, but if I included those, I'd have to say Chernobyl is the best thing that's ever been on television, with band of Brothers a close second. That said, I was very young at the time but I seem to remember Roots being incredible.

The only show in the same league is The Sopranos.

Homicide might have given it a run if it had been an HBO show and not network. Pembleton's full dress salute is still one of the most powerful moments I've ever seen on television and only a few old guys like me will remember what a big deal it was... But it's still a major part of television history. There's a reason so many of us considered Homicide the greatest police show of all time for decades.

Seems you have a type. Lol

Also... NBC blocked the video in the US

The Wire
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones (yea, yea, yea)
Six Feet Under

My top list. It's subjective so people may not agree and that's fine.

Seems you have a type. Lol

Also... NBC blocked the video in the US

Homicide had the same showrunners as The Wire. It was insanely depressing and real with some incredibly unlikeable characters which turned a lot of people off.

The scene? Crosetti dies and Frank Pembleton, a completely by-the-book detective investigates. The death is ruled a suicide, and he's denied an honor guard, which fallen officers usually receive.

From Wiki:

Because his death was a suicide, the department refuses an honor guard at the funeral. Frank Pembleton, unwilling to attend the church funeral after his faith was shaken on a recent case, stands alone in his dress blues on the station house steps, saluting the fallen detective as the procession goes by.​

You can probably find the video if you google crosetti's funeral. I can't do it justice, you'd have to understand what a shock it was to see Frank on the steps.

Back