I take back everything I ever said about any other show comparing to The Wire

You right, dog

• Yes

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 42.9%

• Total voters
Sopranos for this fat kid. I’ve done the wire front to back thrice, Sopranos I’ve lost count. Same level of character building, same level of depth, Sopranos takes story and characters for my taste

Cant wait to rewatch this for maybe the 5th time...

I don't know if it's "The Best" but it's in my top 5 for sure. It had some slow moments to me. But it's the show that probably hit me the hardest and stuck with me the most.

My Top Tier:
Breaking Bad
The Wire
Band of Brothers (hard to compare b/c it's only 10 hours)
Seinfeld
It's Always Sunny in Philly
Better Call Saul

Top Ranked show I didn't like:
The Sopranos

Top Ranked I haven't seen:
The Shield
Deadwood

Based on your top tier you'd love deadwood. Especially seinfeld. The comedy and dialogue of deadwood really sets it apart.

I haven't watched it in a few years, and there are so many discussions comparing The Wire with other shows.

Because it's my favorite, I allowed myself to consider that maybe I was being biased, and others might have their own, equally valid opinions.

No. Just no. I'm watching it for the sixth or seventh time and there are STILL things I'm finding for the first time.

The Wire has a depth of storytelling and richness of narrative that are simply unparalleled. The complex interplay between such a wide body of developed characters staggers the imagination. The show is brutal and honest and makes the difficult choices instead of yielding to the popular. Characters make human decisions and change significantly over time as a result of their experiences.

It's a masterpiece and nothing else comes close.

I get that other people prefer different shows, but better? Not by any honest metric.

Wow, this convinced me even more to not even watch this shit show.

You ever see that episode of Friends where Joey and Ross and Chandler go for a ridealong with a cop? That is how the real hood is. That is what real man on man bonding is about.
And I know, okay, I saw the shit go down in Grenada, eh! I saw it all go down.

Sorry I had to one up your video with the real depiction of da streets

I don't normally include Band of Brothers in these discussions because it's a miniseries, but if I included those, I'd have to say Chernobyl is the best thing that's ever been on television, with band of Brothers a close second. That said, I was very young at the time but I seem to remember Roots being incredible.

Dang. Forgot about Chernobyl. Easily one of the best shows I've ever seen.......or maybe I didn't see it b/c it's not there!!

g8w5ljy3s4u31.png

I don't like to imagine how much worse Baltimore has gotten since that show aired.

Oh shit, just saw the scene from this gif is from:

"Well, shawty was a cop, and she ain't dead." - Stringer

Wee Bey
<TheWire1>

lmao.

I thought it was good, but there are a lot of shows I liked better. Imo The Sopranos is the goat series.

It is no doubt in my top 3.
(No order)
Sopranos
The Wire
Reading Rainbow

A Subway commercial with Jared in it >>>>> The Wire

This might be the fewest words I've ever seen to make me hate every opinion you've ever had.

20k posts and I’ve never heard of you. Mental.

Just accept the fact that The Wire is overrated trash.

James Gandolfini is the Fedor of TV drama

Gosh. Prison Break while enjoyable I didn't even finish. IT isn't adult level entertainment. The Wire wasn't explosion after explosion and while I wasn't absolutely CRAZY for it, it's a really good show.

@Loiosh have we talked about Bosch? Similar vibe and one of the same actors. I like it.

Alot of the sucess of the Wire I'd say is that it manages to juggle being a relatively weighty drama whilst still being very fun to watch.

There's a lot of good shows out there. I probably rank the sopranos #1 but GOT seasons 1-4 is godlevel. Breaking bad was great from beginning to end. True detective season 1 is probably the best individual season ever. It all comes down to preference but my point is there are certainly shows in contention.

Back