• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social I still don't understand why slavery is blamed on white Americans

Other Western countries, such as Colombia, abolished slavery well before USA.
This is a non sequitur. Britain and the U.S. were the leaders of the West. Slavery still would've continued in the West without them snuffing it out.

I was responding to your history denying buddy about the numbers.
That's my point though. You started a thread based on a conversation you had with acquaintances that claimed slavery and racism in this country has led to disadvantages into the modern era.

That Africans sold the slaves, that white people fought to abolish slavery, that other countries had more slaves, and especially the false claims of white groups being enslaved in the same way, has no bearing on the original argument.

And stating these historic facts isn't meant to shame any modern white people, whose normal response should be empathy for the decendants of these people, unless for some reason they're overly defensive or just flat out want to dismiss the centuries of disadvantage they suffered solely due to their race.

what percentage of those “americans” were literally slaves lol
If the slaves were considered American, and each slave owner had 5 slaves, that would be 10% of the population that was enslaved. He states things in that way to minimize slavery and thus any grievances their ancestors might have. He could just as easily have stated that 90% of Africans/African-Americans were slaves in the years before the Civil War.

Last edited:
This is a non sequitur. Britain and the U.S. were the leaders of the West. Slavery still would've continued in the West without them snuffing it out.

Can you explain why you're so sure of this? There were other countries that had ended before the U.S., yet you say the US was one of the leaders?

Really more about learning something here rather than trying to prove you wrong, so nothing personal.

No they didn't.

• Ecuador and Bolivia: 1851
  • New Granada: 1852
  • Argentina: 1853
  • Venezuela and Peru: 1854
  • Brazil: May 13, 1888
  • Panama: May 21, 1851
  • Colombia: 1851

With the exception of Brazil, they all beat USA to abolish slavery, which the US did in 1861. What is there to argue? These are hard numbers, my man.

Can you explain why you're so sure of this? There were other countries that had ended before the U.S., yet you say the US was one of the leaders?

Really more about learning something here rather than trying to prove you wrong, so nothing personal.

Us wasn’t even a big player of the west in that time period

he doesn’t even understand basic history

• Ecuador and Bolivia: 1851
  • New Granada: 1852
  • Argentina: 1853
  • Venezuela and Peru: 1854
  • Brazil: May 13, 1888
  • Panama: May 21, 1851
  • Colombia: 1851
With the exception of Brazil, they all beat USA to abolish slavery, which the US did in 1861. What is there to argue? These are hard numbers, my man.
dont be mean to the retarded by literally posting facts.

they dont like that.

@Mack Yancy you are the retard in this case.

Because some white americans in the past owned black slaves.

There are some people in personal circle who I consider to be generally good people who push such an odd narrative. They say that african-americans fall behind in so many ways because of the history of white America & slavery. Even when I was younger this never made sense to me. Anyone who has read any religious text would know that slavery is neither an American or a white phenomenon. Especially when you realise that the slaves in America were sold by black Africans.

Someone I had a civil but loud argument with was trying to convince me that america was very invested in slavery because they had a civil war over it. But there within lied the contradiction. Aren't the same 'evil' white Americans the ones who fought to end slavery in that very civil war? To which the answer was an angry look and silence.

I honestly think if we are going to use the argument that slavery disadvantaged this racial group. Then the blame lies with who sold the slaves, and not who freed them.

Well.......you should probably save a little of the blame for the people who actually bought/owned the slaves, and profited from their slavery. Which here at least, was primarily white Americans.

And if you want to look at this objectively as you claim, you should also acknowledge that America was late to the slavery abolition party. We definitely lose points on the dismount for that.

One of the reasons Texas rebelled against Mexico was because they were abolishing slavery. And when they formed their Republic in 1836, one of the first things they did was institute slavery. Ironically, the border crossings back then were going the other direction, as thousands of slaves tried to make their way from Texas to Mexico and freedom. Slave catching was a profitable business back then. Catchers would even travel into Mexico to find slaves that had successfully escaped.

Was slavery commonplace in other places? Sure. Were other slaves treated worse elsewhere? Sure. But sitting around making those comparisons is hilariously grotesque. It's like a couple of child rapists arguing that they are not as bad because the kids they raped were 8 instead of 6, they did not rape them as violently, and they stopped raping sooner. Let those places deal with their abominable histories. Let's deal with ours.

Unfortunately, you are firmly stuck in the completely futile 'blame games'. Which are not really relevant to what we should do now. Productive conversations should not have blame in them. We should calmly look at the damage we did, and think of practical ways to remedy it. And there are a lot of ways to do that without going straight to the dreaded 'R' word.

Last edited:
"high crime and poverty among American black folk"

so you admit this is a real problem. good. so instead of writing a bunch of nothing, you could've easily started with this instead of your original silly comment, which I will quote here:

I love how you frame it as "hey these are just plain facts bro. These are statistics".

When in reality, this topic has been studied to death, for decades, and you could easily defer to the opinions and consensus of the academic field that covers this. But you don't. You know that expert consensus doesn't reaffirm your racial bias. Yet despite your disregard for all expert and academic opinions, you disingenuously frame this as "these are just facts". Like the data and evidence are on your side. When the opposite is true.

I think he's just a troll or something. All he does is argue dumb shit.

There is a disconnect between TS and the guy he was arguing with.

You can say "I'm not responsible for slavery just because I'm white." Entirely true. No one is blaming you for that.

But you aren't the U.S. government that implemented both slavery and segregation. Does the government deserve blame and do to victims deserve reparations? That's a separate question.

You may want to read up on the trans-Saharan slave trade. Lasted longer and till later, bigger scale too. Most of them died during the trip. The males slaves got castrated. That’s why there’s relatively few blacks in Arab countries.

If you want to talk about brutal that one should be mentioned too.
Except the thread topic is the role of white Americans in the fate of the surviving descendants of slaves, not the ones who died, isn't it?

This thread is truly stupid as fuck.

Back