I See No Path To Victory for Gus. DC's Wrestling Will Dominate.

Daniel%2BCormier%2BSlams%2BJon%2BJones%2BUFC%2B182.gif

Hard to even count that. Cormier never had any control or landed any sort of strike, Jones landed in all fours, immediately slipped out and established position of his own. The clip conveniently stops right as Jones turns it around on him.

That "takedown" isn't much to hang your hat on.

I thought that Rumble's headbutt took Gus's equilibrium. :icon_chee

DC should win, but it's probably going to be a lot more competitive than people think. Division has been weak for a while, lots of overrated guys. Overrated so Dana could promote his boy.

Only if you listen to the nuthuggers in denial. It was over six months ago.... time to stop lying to yourselves.

I do agree that the fight will be competitive however. DC by late RNC, after Gus has a strong round or two.

Just like Jones was going to take him down over and over again. DC will likely win because of his smothering style, but acting like Gus can't handle the wrestling at all, when Jones outwrestled DC, is a little much.

gus should not be fighting cormier after the brutal ko but he is.gus can handle dc wrestling for 1 or 2 rounds and maybe even pick apart dc like he did good job almost to jones.my only worry is gus's chin.cormier will do try to break gus by landing tons of uppercuts probably until he falls.

AJ has an off night and suddenly DC can easily beat Gus? Get out. This fight isn't going to be easy for either guy, but given the fact that Gus has a better gas tank than Rumble, and he shut down the wrestling game of Jon Jones, I wouldn't be shocked if Gus pulled it off.

gus should not be fighting cormier after the brutal ko but he is.gus can handle dc wrestling for 1 or 2 rounds and maybe even pick apart dc like he did good job almost to jones.my only worry is gus's chin.cormier will do try to break gus by landing tons of uppercuts probably until he falls.

Gus has a phenomenal chin. The only guys to hurt him were Jones with an elbow and Rumble, the hardest hitting guy at light heavyweight, and neither could put him completely out. DC doesn't hit hard enough to put down Gus if you ask me.

and it continues - in the history of MMA I don't think anyone has squeezed as much juice from a loss as Gus does Jones. Losing to Jones is the greatest thing Gus has ever accomplished. At some points Gus has to beat a relevant fighter or quickly fade out of the spotlight. This may be his last shot at accomplishing that.

Are you serious? Gus is 28 and has a record of 16-3 (one of those losses coming in a close fight against the GOAT). He's still going to be a contender even if he loses against DC.

A few fighters that come to my mind have proved "Olympic level wrestling" isn't all that when it comes to MMA. Let's wait and see what happens in the cage.

I'm a fan of both men, and I'd say the result of this fight depends on two things.

1. Gus was viciously KOed in the first round of his last fight, in front of his own countrymen. He cried publicly, and even stated he was questioning fighting again. And he's about to fight the guy, that just beat him. I question if he's even mentally in the game.

2. Can DC get on the inside and make this fight look like the Cain/JDS rematches, or will Gus use his significant reach advantage to land strikes from a safe distance?

Gus has a significant striking range advantage, which he uses well. If DC takes him down early and often, it likely will not go well for Gus. If he can minimize the wrestling advantage of DC and wear him down with footwork and striking, Gus can certainly win this fight. Him taking DC down is certainly not out of the question either if he can get him off balance. Should be a good fight and I really am not sure who will win. Gus losing to Rumble didn't necessarily spell out things to come.

He actually did take him down once and it was the most spectacular takedown in the whole fight.

Daniel%2BCormier%2BSlams%2BJon%2BJones%2BUFC%2B182.gif

DC should have employed this more in his JJ fight. He got carried away trying to knock his head off and paid the price.

DC should have employed this more in his JJ fight. He got carried away trying to knock his head off and paid the price.

Cormier assumed the dirty boxing would be the way to win the fight. A lot of people overestimated his wrestling because they forgot Greco-Roman does not shoot like Freestyle. It made DCs attempts more impotent.

And I know this will cause a whole "thing" on sherdog, but I believe at HW without the cut, DC would have much less trouble with both power and strength when it comes to fighting Jones.

Back