I See No Path To Victory for Gus. DC's Wrestling Will Dominate.

George Jetson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
DC's wrestling is totally different from the clinch based TD's of Jon Jones.

I honestly don't see how Gus wins this fight or keeps it standing.

Gus has good TDD and stopped most of Jon's clinch based TD attempts.

However, I don't see him stuffing the TD's from an Olympic level bullrusher who threw Hendo around like a ragdoll.

DC's wrestling is different from Jones' clinch based TD's.

Gus is tall & lanky which means he's well suited to defend the clinch based TD's from Jon Jones which can be countered with Gus' long limbs and superior leverage.

But for DC's power wrestling style, leverage won't mean jack shit for Gus.

Gus doesn't have the expertise/athleticism to control DC's hands & arms like Jones did. Gus will be ragdolled like Hendo.

Gus barely out-grappled Shogun.

I see him being so scared of DC's wrestling that he'll get lit up on the feet due to having to keep his arms low to defend potential TD's all fight long.

I think Gus' confidence will be shaken to the core after DC destroys him with superior wrestling.

If Gus beats DC then I will ban myself from Sherdog as a punishment for doubting the mighty Gus. I used to be a big fanboy of Gus but I now think he got lucky against Jones.

DC by brutality.

DC is a beast, but if Gus could arguably win against Jones he can do it against Cormier.

Gus defended 10 out of 11 takedowns from Jones and took him down once. Cormier got taken down 3/3 and didn't take Jones down once.

The wrestling isn't as clear cut as you make it sound

His path to victory is fight at range and try to out box him. He needs to avoid the dirty boxing and clinch. His TDD is good enough to keep it standing if he using good footwork. He might even surprise DC with a TD of his own.

yea i dont see a lot of people picking gus here - the only rhetoric that might work is 'he beat jones (judges were wrong!!) but cormier couldn't'

this fight seems pretty clear cut - i think gus is a recently promoted name, so they want to promote him again - but gus is obv a top level fighter and anything could happen

I think this is obvious. Gus' performance against Bones was clearly a case of overlooking your opponent. If they fought again, Gus would get wrecked.

I want to be proven wrong.

Please make a case for Gus that's based on LOGIC and not WISHFUL THINKING or fanboy-ism.

I get what u are saying about the style of grappling that jones and DC have but either way Gus surprised us against Jones.
U never know.
Also he might emloy a Conor type strategy where he knows he getting taken down so will try and inflict as much dmg standing on DC while the fight is standing.
Worked well for Conor.

He will need to run away and point fight for 5 rounds that's his only chance and I don't see it impossible at all. Gus is very light on his feet, if he finds the perfect range where he can land strikes and run away from a TD, he will win this one.

This is a bad match up for DC. Gus will just keep DC at range and pepper him, and use his elusiveness to keep out of DCs takedowns attempts.

Gus has enough power to hurt DC, and enough elusiveness to keep out of the best range for DC, which is in close. Phil is the only guys to completely dominate Gus with takedowns, and thats because Phil is a tall lanky pretty athletic guy. DC is a short somewhat explosive guy, and I think Gus uses his range to neutralize DC. Gus also wont be looking for the one punch KO like AJ did, and will take his time.

DC's wrestling is totally different from the clinch based TD's of Jon Jones.

I honestly don't see how Gus wins this fight or keeps it standing.

Gus has good TDD and stopped most of Jon's clinch based TD attempts.

However, I don't see him stuffing the TD's from an Olympic level bullrusher who threw Hendo around like a ragdoll.

DC's wrestling is different from Jones' clinch based TD's.

Gus is tall & lanky which means he's well suited to defend the clinch based TD's from Jon Jones which can be countered with Gus' long limbs and superior leverage.

But for DC's power wrestling style, leverage won't mean jack shit for Gus.

Gus doesn't have the expertise/athleticism to control DC's hands & arms like Jones did. Gus will be ragdolled like Hendo.

Gus barely out-grappled Shogun.

I see him being so scared of DC's wrestling that he'll get lit up on the feet due to having to keep his arms low to defend potential TD's all fight long.

I think Gus' confidence will be shaken to the core after DC destroys him with superior wrestling.

If Gus beats DC then I will ban myself from Sherdog as a punishment for doubting the mighty Gus. I used to be a big fanboy of Gus but I now think he got lucky against Jones.

DC by brutality.
Gus is better than you think at defending takedowns (as he showed against JJ) and DC tossing old and small Hendo around wasn't much of a surprise.

Cormier is going to have a very hard time even applying his wrestling in this fight. Cormier himself is not a double leg guy, he relies on getting a hold of his opponent or clinching as well.

When you look at Gustaffson were getting the best tdd at LHW. Look at his opponents that he's fought in Davis, Hammil and Jones. All great wrestlers, different styles and neither had much success with Gus wrestling and taking him down. A combined 2 for 22 between the 3 of them. Why Gus is so hard to take down is because of his movement and constant motion, not just his ability to defend takedowns. He's very hard to shoot on and even grab a hold off. With his footwork he negates many takedows before they even start.

Majority of this fight is going to be standing I believe, if we do see any grappling/wrestling it will be with Cormier but again, it will be very minimal. Its gonna be a close fight here, Cormier will land in the clinch and close positions like he did vs Jones and Gus will land from his range.

I am predicting a close decision here 48-47 one way or the other.

I hate when people who obviously didn't watch the Davis/Gus fight comment on it and bring up false facts.

Davis landed what, 1 takedown that fight?

If DC can get inside, he wins. If Gus can keep the fight at distance, he wins.

Pretty simple.

Gus does not have the KO power that Rumble has, and DC ate some pretty nasty shots from him. So DC's chin has held up very well, it will take some bombs to put him out, I am not sure Gus can control the distance as well as some believe.

I like DC by decision.

DC has sublime wrestling, but you have to be crazy to think he'll take Gus down on a whim.

I think this is obvious. Gus' performance against Bones was clearly a case of overlooking your opponent. If they fought again, Gus would get wrecked.

Jones even said this and his camp agreed.

People really believe in Gus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back