I See No Path To Victory for Gus. DC's Wrestling Will Dominate.

Hope Gus takes it to DC on the feet, especially with shots to the body, that made the difference when DC lost to JBJ. The size advantage is going to look crazy in there. It's an even bigger difference that Jones and DC. I'm not so sure that DC can rag doll him like he did Hendo. Gus' movement is insanely good, I think this fight stays on the feet even though DC will be gassed and desperately looking for a takedown. Jones broke DC, I think Gus can too if he can sprawl and brawl.

I think Gus has a chance, but only because I don't think DC is as good as everyone else thinks. As others have said, if he can stay at range he'll win as he's a better striker, KO power or not. Just because AJ knocked him out doesn't mean DC, AJ packs a cruise missile for fuck's sake.

But I honestly favor DC because I think AJ destroyed Gus' spirit.

Gus stopped Jones wrestling and Jones tooled Cormier.

I think this is obvious. Gus' performance against Bones was clearly a case of overlooking your opponent. If they fought again, Gus would get wrecked.

Nah it was a case of styles make fights. Gus is a big threat to JJs style

I want to be proven wrong.

Please make a case for Gus that's based on LOGIC and not WISHFUL THINKING or fanboy-ism.
And likewise DC is a bad matchup for Gus. Shorter (lower center of gravity) explosive power wrestler tends to be poison for a taller lankier striker. Though we did just see Conor beat Mendes so who knows.

His path to victory is fight at range and try to out box him. He needs to avoid the dirty boxing and clinch. His TDD is good enough to keep it standing if he using good footwork. He might even surprise DC with a TD of his own.

I agree with the use of range but he should also use his length in the clinch to drop some elbows Travis Browne-style on DC's noggin. People are writing him off but his wrestling isn't as bad as the last time he was beaten by a wrestler in Davis back in 2010.

Last edited:
So what you are saying ts is that you're picking the favorite. The thing about that is, if you're right no one will really care because anyone can make a call like that, even a newbie. But if you're wrong, this thread will probably get bumped up and ridiculed.

Kinda pointless if you ask me.

Gus defended 10 out of 11 takedowns from Jones and took him down once. Cormier got taken down 3/3 and didn't take Jones down once.

The wrestling isn't as clear cut as you make it sound

This. I think this is a favorable matchup for Gus. We shall see.

I think this is obvious. Gus' performance against Bones was clearly a case of overlooking your opponent. If they fought again, Gus would get wrecked.

I agree 100%.

Especially as we have now found out that Jones has a lot more of a party lifestyle than we (at least more than i thought) expected

he was doing Coke before the DC fight which is the biggest fight of his life ....And still managed to win that fight. He obviously thinks that he can party and fuck around and still rule the light heavyweight division, ....because he actually can.

you cant imagine gus outstriking cormier?
every fight and round starts on the feet and if gus can be smart and keep good distance and cut good angles he can win

LHW division isn't that great without JBJ. Hope he comes back after his personal problems are taken care of.

I think DC is going to beat Gus cleanly. He can win by striking and staying away much like jones but I think DC will not let Gus keep him from holding the belt

DC's wrestling is totally different from the clinch based TD's of Jon Jones.

I honestly don't see how Gus wins this fight or keeps it standing.

Gus has good TDD and stopped most of Jon's clinch based TD attempts.

However, I don't see him stuffing the TD's from an Olympic level bullrusher who threw Hendo around like a ragdoll.

DC's wrestling is different from Jones' clinch based TD's.

Gus is tall & lanky which means he's well suited to defend the clinch based TD's from Jon Jones which can be countered with Gus' long limbs and superior leverage.

But for DC's power wrestling style, leverage won't mean jack shit for Gus.

Gus doesn't have the expertise/athleticism to control DC's hands & arms like Jones did. Gus will be ragdolled like Hendo.

Gus barely out-grappled Shogun.

I see him being so scared of DC's wrestling that he'll get lit up on the feet due to having to keep his arms low to defend potential TD's all fight long.

I think Gus' confidence will be shaken to the core after DC destroys him with superior wrestling.

If Gus beats DC then I will ban myself from Sherdog as a punishment for doubting the mighty Gus. I used to be a big fanboy of Gus but I now think he got lucky against Jones.

DC by brutality.

Wrestling destroying someone?

Good joke.

More like fatigued into no contest.

I think dc will bull him against the cage untill he gets a takedown gus isent as strong as jones i think that will play huge in the fact he wont be able to keep dc off of him

Lol at anyone that believes in Gus in this fight. Hes proven 3 timss hes simply not as good as you wish to believe(Davis/JJ/Rumble)

I havent felt this comfortable in a prediction since Weidman over Anderson.

if the lines for DC are -300 or better, Ill be placing a large bet. Maybe add an account bet too for kicks

Based on your shitty logic, Cormier should have been able to take down jones with ease, yet we saw exactly the opposite. Explain that, t.s.

I think dc will bull him against the cage untill he gets a takedown gus isent as strong as jones i think that will play huge in the fact he wont be able to keep dc off of him

LMAO at gustafsson not being as strong as jones when Alexander easily shrugged off virtually every one of jones's td attempts.

Go back to doing whatever else you think you're good at because analyzing fights certainly isn't something you should be doing.

Gus defended 10 out of 11 takedowns from Jones and took him down once. Cormier got taken down 3/3 and didn't take Jones down once.

What the fuck are you talking about? DC slammed Jones down in the 5th round. You couldn't have missed that if you were watching.

Back