• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I rewatched Heat last night for the first time in probably 20 years. Let's talk about it.

mann-promo.jpg

Coming off the year that just gave us Blade Runner 2049, no, not necessarily.

I think there were good movies then and there are good movies now.

Blade Runner 2049 is becoming one of my favorite movies of the last couple years. Best movie I've seen this year, definitely. Sooo good. I think it's the only movie that's come out that I've seen since Mad Max: Fury Road that I found rewatchable for more than one rewatch.

Blade Runner 2049 is becoming one of my favorite movies of the last couple years. Best movie I've seen this year, definitely. Sooo good.

It's excellent. One of the few movies that I've gone to see twice in the theater.

It's total bullshit that it didn't get a Best Picture nomination.

Heat could’ve only happened in a city like LA.

I rewatched it pretty recently too and it's definitely a top shelf film. I can understand people finding it emotionally dead but I completely empathized with the characters and the ending always brings a tear to my eye. I see it as a film about the self-destructive nature of dudes. McCauley and Hanna both so invested in their work that they can't lead a life outside of it. The respect, the bond they develop even though they're pitted against each other goes to show how desperately lonely they are but it can only end in one of them killing the other

"It's like you said. All I am is what I'm going after."

Yeah, I'm familiar with that and have seen the video footage. That seemed more contained and much less danger of collateral damage.

Those guys weren't so close to civilians that they could just pick up a child and run away with it like Tom Sizemore does.

It's Hollywood and Heat isn't a documentary.

I hadn't seen Heat in a very long time. Maybe 20 years. But last night I decided to give it another look and see how well it holds up.
Great movie. Can't go wrong with Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. Great shoot out sequence.

I watched 'Deadly Code' a few days ago. Also called 'Siberian Education'. It is a 2013 Italian crime-drama film with John Malkovich and Eleanor Tomlinson. Man, I think this was the first time I've seen Tomlinson and she was definitely a character I fell in love with. British actress, 25. One hot babe, and a redhead.

The shoot-out is definitely excellent but while I was watching it I had to wonder how realistic it was in the sense that I wasn't sure if cops would actually engage in a shoot out in a crowded area like that.

I mean, it's kind of like in a high-speed chase, when the speed gets to dangerous levels the cops are told to back up to protect civilians. I'd think it would be the same way in a situation like this. The guys who robbed the bank just want to get away. I suspect that in real life the cops would let them do that instead of blasting automatic fire everywhere as if there aren't a ton of regular people standing around.

Shiherlis opened heavy fire on them and McCauley had already told Hanna he'd surely kill him before ever going back to prison

Then Hanna's pursuit; he probably knew he should stop at some point but he couldn't help himself. Kinda like McCauley with Waingro. I mean that's basically the central theme of the story

Man, what is up with the black '89 Camaro RS that Val takes cover behind? There's no license plate (or it's flipped down since the the gas filler is behind it), then it has a plate or the plate is up, there's a guy in it, the guy gets out and leaves the door open, then the door is shut. Definitely shot out of sequence. Sorry, I had Third Gen Z28 in High School, I notice these things.

Heat is by far my favorite crime drama. Damn near perfect movie.

Still holds up for me even today.

Heat could’ve only happened in a city like LA.

Heat, LA Confidential and LA Story are the quintessential movies that use LA as the backdrop very effectively.

The 90s were a glorious decade for movies.

Back