I just finished watching the show Smallville...

Remember I had a buddy at school who used to love this show, tried to recommend it to me, but I could never get into it whenever I tried. And yet the dude's synopsis and reviews of episodes and storylines sounded awesome. So it was a strange time. I knew what was happening and liked it... without actually watching the show.

And I have to say it's pretty great. I'm a big fan of comic book Superheroes and Superman is one of my favorite Superheroes. And I love this show's portrayal of a young Clark Kent/Superman.
Over the course of 10 seasons you get to see Clark Kent go from being an awkward teenager in high school to the mighty man of steel, Superman.
I like that the show doesn't shy away from showing Clark's "human" side. Some people accuse Superman of being a Gary Stu and they often say that he is too perfect to be relatable (which for the record I don't agree with that, but that's besides the point) but Smallville's Clark Kent is far from being perfect and a lot of times throughout the show he made mistakes that often made bad situations even worse.
I won't give specific examples of what I'm talking about because I don't want give away any major details about the plot to the people who haven't seen the show, so I'll just say check out the show and see what I'm talking about for yourself.
If you're a Superman fan, or if you just like comic book Superheroes in general, then I think you will enjoy this very interesting take on the Superman Mythology. It has some early 00s cheesiness and the effects don't hold up that well compared to today's standards, but that's what makes the show that much more fun IMO.
Oh, and the Smallville theme song is fucking awesome.

I just started watching it on hulu. I remember hearing about it when I was in high school but didn't watch it. I wish I would have now

Another funny thing is on the Superman
animated series Clark's mom told the father
to come in and watch Dukes of Hazard.

Can't remember which episode it was from.
Yeah, the DCAU had a lot funny and memorable moments like that.
It's a shame that the DCEU couldn't have been more like the DCAU.

I'm not a Superman fan by any stretch but I loved Smallville. I thought everybody did an incredible job with their roles. Best moment in the series:

tumblr_naxc45JoO31rahtsio2_250.gifv

Fine, give me all the flak you want. But Michael Rosenbaum is absolutely sensational as Lex Luthor and no one can make me feel any different.

He's my favourite Lex Luthor as well. As in no.1 by himself. Really enjoyed him in that show.

He's still no ledger's joker though. Levels to this game.

I just started watching it on hulu. I remember hearing about it when I was in high school but didn't watch it. I wish I would have now
Cool, I think you'll like it.
Yeah I wish I watched the show when it was airing too. But the cool thing about watching a show after it ends is the ability to watch several episodes in a row and to watch them without commercials.

Remember I had a buddy at school who used to love this show, tried to recommend it to me, but I could never get into it whenever I tried. And yet the dude's synopsis and reviews of episodes and storylines sounded awesome. So it was a strange time. I knew what was happening and liked it... without actually watching the show.
Maybe you're just not a fan of Superheroes? But at any rate, I think you should give the show another chance. it's definitely worth watching IMO.

Yeah, Smallville's Lex is great. And Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex Luthor is fantastic.
I might get some flak for saying this, but Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex is on the same level as Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker. That's how good Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex was IMO.
I like that Clark and Lex started off as friends but then gradually became enemies as the show progressed. (An idea that originated in the comics, but was never expanded on as much as it was in Smallville) And that Lex, while he had many flaws, was still a decent guy for the most part in the early seasons. So it's even more tragic when you see what a monster Lex becomes in the later seasons.
His podcast is decent as well.

I'm not a Superman fan by any stretch but I loved Smallville. I thought everybody did an incredible job with their roles. Best moment in the series:

tumblr_naxc45JoO31rahtsio2_250.gifv
Yeah, that one thing I liked about the show. That it was well written enough that you didn't necessarily have to be a Superman fan or a fan of Superheroes in order to like it.
But speaking of someone who is a Superman fan, it felt good watching such a well made show about him.

should I start this? or the americans? or that show with the black dude that everyone is scared of?

Maybe you're just not a fan of Superheroes? But at any rate, I think you should give the show another chance. it's definitely worth watching IMO.
It's the pacing. Each episode has about 10-15 minutes worth of content stretched into 40 minutes. And, yeah, live action superheroes are a hit or miss for me. I prefer comics. Or animation and video games. Live action can reach some goofy looking levels.

Yeah, Smallville's Lex is great. And Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex Luthor is fantastic.
I might get some flak for saying this, but Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex is on the same level as Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker. That's how good Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex was IMO.
I like that Clark and Lex started off as friends but then gradually became enemies as the show progressed. (An idea that originated in the comics, but was never expanded on as much as it was in Smallville) And that Lex, while he had many flaws, was still a decent guy for the most part in the early seasons. So it's even more tragic when you see what a monster Lex becomes in the later seasons.

I agree about Michael playing Lex. It felt like a train wreck watching his character descend in to darkness. That and his infatuation for Lana Lang didn't help either. I also liked Lionel Luther and how well John Glover played him. The father was Lex in reverse. Bad guy in the beginning but seemed like he was becoming a decent person. I forgot what happened in later seasons, damn I got to re-watch it again.

Davis Bloom was a great character as well.

He's my favourite Lex Luthor as well. As in no.1 by himself. Really enjoyed him in that show.

He's still no ledger's joker though. Levels to this game.
Michael is the best Lex Luthor, 100%.
In my opinion Rosenbaum is on the same level as Ledger, but I won't argue with people who think Ledger is better because I love me some Heath Ledger Joker too.

It's the pacing. Each episode has about 10-15 minutes worth of content stretched into 40 minutes. And, yeah, live action superheroes are a hit or miss for me. I prefer comics. Or animation and video games. Live action can reach some goofy looking levels.
Ah I see, well live action Superheroes aren't for everyone.
Still I think you should watch the show, it's worth watching at least once.

I agree about Michael playing Lex. It felt like a train wreck watching his character descend in to darkness. That and his infatuation for Lana Lang didn't help either. I also liked Lionel Luther and how well John Glover played him. The father was Lex in reverse. Bad guy in the beginning but seemed like he was becoming a decent person. I forgot what happened in later seasons, damn I got to re-watch it again.

Davis Bloom was a great character as well.
Yeah, I like that the Lex Luthor on Smallville didn't start out as a mustache twirling villain. Instead it was a combination of factors that eventually led him to becoming the Lex Luthor we all know and love to hate. Almost like something out of a Greek tragedy.
Pretty deep stuff for a show about an alien that flies around in a cape and shoots lasers out of his eyes don't you think?
Yeah me too, I usually don't like it when live-action adaptations drastically change a character from the comics, but I really like what they did with the character of Doomsday. Made him sort of an "evil Hulk" type of character. Good stuff.

Michael is the best Lex Luthor, 100%.
In my opinion Rosenbaum is on the same level as Ledger, but I won't argue with people who think Ledger is better because I love me some Heath Ledger Joker too.

Him and Clancy Brown are the best Lex Luthors

Him and Clancy Brown are the best Lex Luthors
True, while Michael Rosenbaum is the best live action Lex Luthor, Clancy Brown is the best animated Lex for sure.
Clancy Brown has such a smooth and charismatic deep voice, he carries himself with so much class and grace when he plays Lex, it's hard to believe that the same guy voices Mr. Krabs from SpongeBob SquarePants lol.

Yeah, I like that the Lex Luthor on Smallville didn't start out as a mustache twirling villain. Instead it was a combination of factors that eventually led him to becoming the Lex Luthor we all know and love to hate. Almost like something out of a Greek tragedy.
Pretty deep stuff for a show about an alien that flies around in a cape and shoots lasers out of his eyes don't you think?
Yeah me too, I usually don't like it when live-action adaptations drastically change a character from the comics, but I really like what they did with the character of Doomsday. Made him sort of an "evil Hulk" type of character. Good stuff.

Good call on an evil hulk. Its funny, I remember Lex murdered his parents to start his Lexcorp in the comics. I believe this was the first time we saw his dad make his debut. Lana Lang got way too much screen time and the love story went for way too damn long which got on my nerves.

One minor character I liked was the dude that was supposedly dead and a doppelganger was found to torment Lex Luthor. This was when Lex was a good guy. I forgot the episode, it feels so hazy but I really enjoyed it because it felt like crime mystery episode.

Back